What's new

Balm and aftershave lotion.

Is there any benefits to using Aftershave lotion and balm after a shave? Or does anyone use both and why do you do it? Thanks guys.

Yes I tend to use both. Aftershaves leave a nice freshly scented face feel IMHO. Aftershave balms add moisture to your skin and can also calm the skin down after a harsh or rough shave, again iMHO
Also the scent strength gets amped up if the soap, splash and balm are matching scents.

I used to use James Bronnley Gentlemen’s Moisturising Aftershave Balm (a wonderful non-greasy balm) but can no longer source it in local shops or online; now use Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm - does what it says on the tin (bottle) but also cheap and readily available in local pharmacists/chemists and supermarkets. Never really been an aftershave user; her indoors does not welcome competition in the fragrance department...lol.

I use both as a preference. Splash first. Then a minute or so after that dries down, I'll use a balm. It can vary somewhat by season and my mood that day. If it's very humid outside, I might use just a splash. If it's a cold dry day, I might use just a balm.

Balms are of course great for moisturizing and for folks who don't want alcohol burn. Splashes can vary a lot by ingredients and scent. Some burn more than others. Higher alcohol splashes will often have a stronger scent. There are witch hazel splashes which a soothing effect. And then there are the products made by artisan soapmakers where their splashes might have some moisturizing ingredients or they have thinner summer balms and thicker winter balms or they add menthol for a cooling effect.

Top Bottom