What's new

Ballistol & Razors

I'm posting this here since (obviously) you guys know both firearms and razors.
I'm fairly new to the world of safety razors but not to firearms, having owned and shot many, many guns for over 40 years.
I'm a huge fan of Ballistol as both a cleaner and a gun lube. I use it liberally in all my guns, although I do add some gun grease to the mix when it comes to my 1911.
My question is this:
I'm aware of how ZAMAC, the zinc alloy that most razors are made from, can deteriorate if mistreated, particularly the threads on a two- or three-piece razor. I have an Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Rockwell 6C and, as a preventative measure, I squirted a bit of Ballistol on the threads. The ingredients are essentially mineral oil, so I'm not overly concerned that it will harm the coating, but what do you all think?
Is Ballistol safe to use on my ZAMAC razors?
Thanks in advance!

I feel certain Ballistol won't harm Zamak. Henry .22 rifle receivers are made of Zamak. I am sure people out there somewhere have been using Ballistol on them. I haven't seen any reports of them falling apart.

It won't hurt the razor but it is water soluble. I've used ballistol for thread cutting and diluted in water in a cooling tank for M249 barrels. A dab of petroleum jelly may stick around on the threads a bit longer. I'd stick with the smallest amount of any thread lube to not attract dirt.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Made Ballistol aftershave here:

😏 Wholly crow, that was eight years ago...

AA

It won't hurt the razor but it is water soluble. I've used ballistol for thread cutting and diluted in water in a cooling tank for M249 barrels. A dab of petroleum jelly may stick around on the threads a bit longer. I'd stick with the smallest amount of any thread lube to not attract dirt.

Thanks for that. It makes total sense. I appreciate the reply.

Made Ballistol aftershave here:

😏 Wholly crow, that was eight years ago...

AA
You are truly a crazy brave man! :biggrin1:
I had wondered about that myself at one point ...

Top Bottom