What's new

Ballistol and Storage

Just bought Ballistol to use on my SRs. I live in Florida so I need to use oil or sleeves. I have seen that some claim that Ballistol can remove gold wash and maybe etching but that has been mixed some say yes others no and other say if there is a scratch on plating it may get behind then plating. I know this has been posted in the past but wanted to see what other have experienced and use.

What oil do you use for storage, if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use sock-up sleeves for my carbon SRs after air drying for a day outside the bathroom without any problems. I don't use any oil after noticing minor pitting on a blade pretreated with some kind of mineral oil from the former SRD store.

Used to use mineral oil but have switched to a coating of Renaisance Wax. Nothing to clean off before use.

And I had also heard that Balistol could remove gold wash. For that reason I never tried it.

Just bought Ballistol to use on my SRs. I live in Florida so I need to use oil or sleeves. I have seen that some claim that Ballistol can remove gold wash and maybe etching but that has been mixed some say yes others no and other say if there is a scratch on plating it may get behind then plating. I know this has been posted in the past but wanted to see what other have experienced and use.

What oil do you use for storage, if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I keep razors in closed containers with camphor crystals.

every German razor I've bought factory sealed was coated in Ballistol. Plenty had gold wash or etching.

Not saying that the stuff is wholly incapable of removing desired parts but poison as they say is all about dosage. Wouldn't water remove these things if it was coming at the steel the same way long enough?

I love that you can mix it with water to your desired consistency, hone with it, leave the item wet, and it will dry down and the water will leave but the Ballistol will remain on the metal.

Not as nice to smell as Floris soap, though.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You can also buy food grade silicone oil, which is what is in the Sack Ups gun/knife/razor socks. Works fine, but keep any silicone products away from anywhere that you paint anything.

Ballistol is a mineral oil emulsion, quite a nice product. I don’t care for the scent, but it’s mild.

Another option is Rennaisance wax. It will wear off over time, but a tried and true product.

espresso I love the 'dz' extra salty thin hard Dutch blk licorice...wouldn't associate Ballistol to it tho!

I could eat bag after bag of it.

946225BE-A60D-4488-B020-B2EF0C5B20CC.jpeg

I've got a homemade fennel EO 0pre-shave that I use, too. Black jelly beans.... can't get enough of it. Ballistol is the bee's knees. Great for everything except brushing your teeth. For that, I use Tom's fennel tooth paste. 🤪

If RemOil can absord with standing water and have that water leave, I think I need to try it if it smells less pungent than ole reliable.

A friend keeps all his razors in his garage in a drying cabinet, the kind with the heat rod at the base, works great but if you have horn/celluloid/etc. handles you need to give them wax etc.

Top Bottom