What's new

Ballistol After Shave! experiment

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. Someone had to do it. :001_cool:

[/URL]

After seeing the Hoppes No.9 soap/AS - which doesn't actually contain that well-known gun cleaner, but only its scent - it occurred to me you could actually make an aftershave with Ballistol in it. Yeah!

For those non-outdoorsmen, Ballistol is a mineral-oil based gun cleaner that does so much more. Legend has it German soldiers put it on wounds. (I once did; wound up with a scar). You can, ahem, allegedly, drink it in tiny amounts. Google "Ballistol" for more on this all-around great stuff. It's a natural product. :001_cool: Mineral oil. AKA Baby Oil. Used in food products, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

So I put one spray-can squirt in a 2 oz. glass bottle with witch hazel:

[/URL]

Ballistol and water is used for cleaning black powder guns; the stuff turns milky when added to water. I wasn't surprised when it did this, so filled it up to the full 2 ozs. with witch hazel.

[/URL]

No, I am not endorsing doing this; since as you can see it is "Skin Safe," it's an experiment.

So. It SMELLS good; has that licorice smell that Ballistol has, faintly.

Don't have to shave til tomorrow. Couldn't wait that long, so, splashed it on an hour ago.

Hmmmm... not unlike adding a few drops of glycerin or castor oil, both of which I use in after shave-making.

Not bad.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a bold man Ad Astra. Creative, too. I use Ballistol, but only on my guns. Look forward to learning your results.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No; just a fan of the stuff. People have shaved with Ballistol, and soaked razors in it ...

Great on leather. It has many uses.

What I'm seeing with the "after shave" mix is a moisture protection not unlike glycerin/castor oil. This one just has a great licorice smell and outdoorsy connotation.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And it appears you use Break Free to clean, lubricate and protect a really tough beard.

Nah, that stuff's expensive! I don't even use it on ARs.

As an experiment, though, it worked. Its just mineral oil, after all.

AA

While I use a lot of Ballistol, I have to admit this never would have occurred to me. It will be fun to watch this thread!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for any interest in this old thread ... Ballistol has its fans!

Now. Since some people shave - successfully - with olive oil, it's obvious ...

AA

For those of you interested in the multiple uses.....and I am NOT sure it's the same formulation:

it works for leather and plastic.... I might have used in "sticky" adjustables which were then well rinsed w hot water...

as someone that loves firearms as much as everyone here, no way would I go anywhere this mix........however, I think you might be onto something, and there is a market for everything........or so they say.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had TOTALLY forgotten about this thread, friend @Ad Astra ! Thanks for your courageousness in chasing the dream of aftershave perfection! You and @OkieStubble will go down in history like Batman and Robin!

Or The Joker and The Penguin?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I had TOTALLY forgotten about this thread, friend @Ad Astra ! Thanks for your courageousness in chasing the dream of aftershave perfection! You and @OkieStubble will go down in history like Batman and Robin!

Or The Joker and The Penguin?

The smell of Ballistol makes me cough, was the problem.

Okie is King of the Bootleggers! 🤣 Nothing I've made has caught on.

AA

Top Bottom