What's new

Ballenclaugh soap

I purchased 3 tubs of Chris's first Woodsmen 3-4 years ago because it is an excellent soap that came in at 7oz., I feel with all the soaps that I have and used I've always enjoyed Woodsmen. It's a superb soap, good cushion, protection, slickness, moisturizing properties, I feel it's the best soap Ballenclaugh has produced to date and I have high praise for all of the Ballenclaugh's soaps.

Last week I purchased a few tubs of the of Ballenclaugh's current offering of Woodsmen at 5.5oz (3 years after the last offering) and shaved with the old and new side by side (loaded 2 separate brushes) for 2 shaves and my opinion is that the new offering is slightly better then the original. So unless you really dislike the scent which I know psychologically can alter ones opinion of an excellent product you will not be disappointed.

As far as the uniqueness of Ballenclaugh's scent's you either love them, hate them or are willing to tolerate at lest one. So as far as i see it there is no other company that has such a scent personality so out of the mainstream of shaving. What is the purpose of Fragrances, they offer pleasant, pleasing experiences to our sense's and well being, grooming, refinement, sexuality, individuality, femininity and masculinity, relieving of stress, air freshers, appetite, memories, experiences. In my opinion Chris's scents come from memories and pleasant experiences, from a mans perpective that are unique only to Chris.

What I'm going to state is only what I assume though my imagination for I believe Chris's references in creating his scents comes from life in rural Nebraska (a few years back Chris's put out an email w/photo on the damage a storm had done to his barn). I believe his scents relate (I could be out of my tree on this one) to experiences and memories in living on a farm or ranch. Scents like Leather, Honey, Tobacco, Rose, Gunpowder. His menthol soaps will wake you up to start the day, to keep you cool from the hot sun and sweat. I also believe there is another soap maker that at times creates related to memories/experiences I give a nod to After the Fall by L and L. One last thing his scents are strong (they fade away fairly quickly after you was you face and use a balm or splash.

I have most of the scents though my three favorites are the original Hot Barrel Rose, that brings to mind weather beaten rural rustic, horse's, hunting and flowers. The Woodsmen the cutting of tree's and pitch, the aftermath of burning bark and mulch, the odor of all these elements on my sleeve as as I wipe it across my face, imagination, memories and Festive Parlor rejuvenated well worn leather.

Overall in Ballenclaugh's 4 year existence they have produced 11 scents in which usually 1 or 2 are sold at a time and if the one you like is sold out it may come back a few years later, maybe? What I also like about Chris's business model, even though it may be part time he makes enough of his soaps to satisfy his existing customers and them some.

Woodsmen
Hot Barrel Rose
Festive parlor
Vandepool
Marauder Bay
Thunder and Linen
Sour Mash
Fire & Ice
Old Barber Menthe
Icy Grove
Honey Tobacco

Interesting. But pray tell, how does one reach this artisan? Google finds only a Twitter page but the link "ballenclaugh.com" given there comes up empty.

google ballenclaugh soaps click on his facebook page, on his page you can order what ever soaps he has available simple. Facebook has it's own eCommerce set up for small business's.

Top Bottom