What's new

Ball end or fat handle Tech

Please give me some insight as to which performs better. I am partial to heavier razors, but results are the goal.

Thanks

To me, the ball ended Tech seemed to have a bit more heft than the fat handled version. Their performance was about the same for me, with the ball end narrowly edging out the fat handled one.

Last edited:
I prefer the fat handle Tech. It's a much better made razor. Of course the Tech line has been made for many, many years and I don't know how they would compare from year to year. But generally the Tech is not aggressive and will give a smooth but not necessarily a close shave depending on which blades you use.

Len

To me, the ball ended Tech seemed to have a bit more heft than the fat handled version. Their performance was about the same for me, with the ball end narrowly edging out the fat handled one.

I use both with equal effectiveness. However, I agree with JimBow that the ball end seems to have a little more heft. Maybe because it is longer... I don't know

That's the problem with comparing Tech's. My fat handled has more heft then my ball heads. There are also aluminum handled ball head Tech's that have nearly no heft.

Len

That's the problem with comparing Tech's. My fat handled has more heft then my ball heads. There are also aluminum handled ball head Tech's that have nearly no heft.

Len

Comparing Tech's is like comparing one type of car, over several decades of production.

I like all of the Techs except the ones dating from the late 60s with the flimsy stamped (not etched) heads. Those might work better for some guys, though, as they seem (to me) to be more aggressive than the older ones. My personal favorite is the fat handle.

I am a pretty big dude. The fat-handled techs are probably the most naturalistic and comfortable of all the razors I have tried. They were built for big hands. Something to consider if you are a larger fellow.

I have a made in England N1 tech. It is heavier and more aggressive then all my fat, or ball end USA techs. Notice the notched corners on the head, none of my other tech caps will fit this one

I have a made in England N1 tech. It is heavier and more aggressive then all my fat, or ball end USA techs. Notice the notched corners on the head, none of my other tech caps will fit this one

If there is any interest in selling that, shoot me a pm... I love it!

I have an aluminum Tech and a Fat Tech. I much prefer the Fat Tech. It feels great in the hand. I alway feel like I'm going to drop the aluminum one, it just never quite feels good and safe in my fingers. I've never dropped it and it gives fine shaves, but the Fatty feels more substantial and safer to hold even though it's not all that hefty.

Thank you all for the input. Since I am so new, I had to buy one off of Ebay.

I ended up with the ball end. Can't wait to be able to buy/sell on B&B.

Batman, I think you can buy on the B/S/T straight away after joining. I think it's just selling and trading that you must wait for. Good Luck. Hope you enjoy the Tech!

I've tried before and been slapped pretty harshly by the moderators. I'll wait. Thanks.

Wow. Not knowing the specifics, I can only echo that buying is open immediately; it's the selling for which you need to wait. Discretion, however, has some well-known benefits....

Everyone is welcome to comment, purchase items, or post a WTB thread, irrespective of the number of posts you have

Top Bottom