What's new

Ball end old type Vs. Single Ring

Does the Single ring shave the same as the ball end old type. I would really like a single ring for the history but can't seem to get a good shave with the old type head.
Give me your ideas.

My limited experience was a better shave with a single ring than either a US or Canadian Old type, but a better shave still with a New Short comb.

I've got several Old Types and several Single Rings, in my opinion, the Old Types shave equally as well as the Single Rings. I have a 1919 Old Type that I had replated in Nickel that is my daily driver. But I don't have very thick facial hair growth either. If you do choose to get a Single Ring, I don't think you'll be disappointed as they do shave well once you find your best blade angle.

As cheap as they are, get one of each and sell or PIf the one you don't like. My experience has been that they are equal, but the single ring looks nicer.

Oooh... I like this topic. I really like both the Old Types, and the Single Rings. The two of them comprise the core of my rotation.

I've a medium heavy beard, the Old-type is just a great razor once you get the feel for it. It takes patience to learn, but pays off. I use this style razor more than any other. I bled a lot learning to use it.

The Single Ring has an edge to it, but it's more forgiving. I agree, for both aesthetics and historical significance, the Single Ring is top of the mark.

You need both obviously, and the beauty of these two razors is that user grade examples are plentiful and affordable.

What competition are you referring to? They are both the same heads.....The name Single Ring referred to the 1906-21 Old Type model. The difference was the cap and guard variations of the 1906-21 #102 Thin Cap and guard vs the 1921-29 Thicker #102a New Improved model. Old Type was a nick name given to the Single Ring after 1921 New Improved razor was put into the market and shop owners kept referring to the older out of patent Single Ring razor as the Old Type. They sold the Old Type at a cheaper price and the New Improved at retail . Ball End refers to the handle not the razor heads.

Krumholtz :
$od1.JPG

Thanks for clearing that up Alex.
My Single Rings are all pre-WWI, and my Ball End razors both date from the late 1920's. I always assumed the thicker caps were standard for the Ball-End style.

What competition are you referring to? They are both the same heads.....The name Single Ring referred to the 1906-21 Old Type model. The difference was the cap and guard variations of the 1906-21 #102 Thin Cap and guard vs the 1921-29 Thicker #102a New Improved model. Old Type was a nick name given to the Single Ring after 1921 New Improved razor was put into the market and shop owners kept referring to the older out of patent Single Ring razor as the Old Type. They sold the Old Type at a cheaper price and the New Improved at retail . Ball End refers to the handle not the razor heads.

Just to be a stickler here, the name "Single Ring" was not used by Gillette, but rather is a later nickname given by collectors to distinguish between the Double and Single Ring. Also, the name "Old Type" did actually come from Gillette and wasn't just a nickname from shop keepers trying to distinguish them from the New Improved razors to their customers. They put "Old Type" on some of the sets they made (like the one below) and also used the name in advertising.

Today, we use the name "Old Type" to refer to the entire first generation of Gillette's head design, from the Double Ring all the way down through the post-patent ball-end and standard-style Old Types.

proxy.php

I tend to use the same terminology as Morman Bridge, above, i.e., Single Ring or Ball-End Old Type.

Essentially the OP is asking what are the differences between the #102 and #102a head designs. Or that's how I read it.

Also, Alex refers to the "Thicker #102a New Improved model." The #102a Old Type and New Improved are two different razors, do they share the same head cap design? That's interesting is so.

Last edited:
Just to be a stickler here, the name "Single Ring" was not used by Gillette, but rather is a later nickname given by collectors to distinguish between the Double and Single Ring. Also, the name "Old Type" did actually come from Gillette and wasn't just a nickname from shop keepers trying to distinguish them from the New Improved razors to their customers. They put "Old Type" on some of the sets they made (like the one below) and also used the name in advertising.

Today, we use the name "Old Type" to refer to the entire first generation of Gillette's head design, from the Double Ring all the way down through the post-patent ball-end and standard-style Old Types.

proxy.php

But to answer the question, they are all the same head design besides the nicknames of the razors. The Single rings and Old Type Ball end are all the same #102 caps, and in 1921 the thicker 102a was placed on the New Improved line.

I tend to use the same terminology as Morman Bridge, above, i.e., Single Ring or Ball-End Old Type.

Essentially the OP is asking what are the differences between the #102 and #102a head designs. Or that's how I read it.

Also, Alex refers to the "Thicker #102a New Improved model." The #102a Old Type and New Improved are two different razors, do they share the same head cap design? That's interesting is so.
They are two different razors due to the patent being expired, Gillette made a new design razor with many added features.

Krumholtz:

$new 1.JPG
$new3.JPG
$new 4.JPG
$new 2.JPG
$new 5.JPG

The Single rings and Old Type Ball end are all the same #102 caps, and in 1921 the thicker 102a was placed on the New Improved line.

It's the later Old Types that got the thicker cap and guard plate. The New Improved was an entirely different generation. Achim's photos below illustrates the change:

proxy.php

Last edited:

So the OLD TYPE name was derived after 1921 when the patent expired on the original razor, but the actual name is still the Gillette Safety Razor.

It's the later Old Types that got the thicker cap and guard plate. The New Improved was an entirely different generation. Achim's photos below illustrates the change:

proxy.php
So these are all still considered Single Rings [ and Double Ring 03 to 06] Old Types....so to answer the original question we would have differentiate the caps on the later Single Rings/Old types of 1921 to 1928 since they are all one razor. [ excluding the New Improved lines].

I went with this chart and stated the cap differences, it has 102A: "Old Style" Thick cap/guard

106: New Improved / heavy flat guard :

$date.jpg

Thanks Porter, you are an asset to B&B. You always support and provide the proper resources. You Mblake, copeirguy, Mr Razor, and many other members that i may left out are always a joy to learn off. This is the only way to keep on learning new stuff everyday on this fun hobby of ours.

$Timeline Old Type small.jpg

The amount of information in this post is staggering. Thanks kindly.

Bob, we never stop learning here at B&B. From the Old-type/singe rings to the New Improved razors there is something to learn at any given day. I always ask questions, i stay curious and this helps me keep it fun and informative:001_smile

Hi,

Does anyone have cap and plate thickness measurements for the 102 vs. the 102a? It does not look like the curvature changed any in the photo, just the thicknesses.

Stan

Top Bottom