What's new

Balisong sources

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is anyone aware of a reliable retailer for Balisong knives?
I'm looking for the traditional Filipino style, bone, horn or wood scales, double edged, straight, stilletto, or spear point, not the competition flippers that are sold by Benchmade and others.
Benchmade are good knives, but I don't want a single edge G10 bearing/bushing flipper.
I've seen them at Balisong.com and at Pinoysteel.com, but even here there are some flashy, skeleton handles that look like they are made for the closet commando.
Before I drop the hammer on one I'd sure like to hear if anyone knows of the reliability of these two sites or have a source other than these two.
pc_ivorystiletto.jpg

pabu_stiletto.jpg

pc_blackmicartastiletto.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
🤔 Always good luck with these guys...

Classic of course, but they always seem heavy or a bit too long to me. Good ones, always expensive.

Hm, wonder if they make in titanium handles...

AA
I've looked at those guys, thanks. Mostly they have the skeleton handle design and G10 or Micarta. They do have some wood, stag and bone handles, but they are all single edge and by Bear and Son - which is the lowest end of the scale for cost and quality.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
PVK Vegas
Thanks, beautiful craftsmanship, but they also are limited to G10 or Micarta and mostly skeleton handles. I'm thinking if I want a natural handle material for a traditional Filipino balisong, I might just have to buy from the guys I linked to in my first post.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Or video of flipping it!

Our kids have gotten into Balisong trainer flipping. We can't get the real deal in Canada due to knife regulations.
Perfectly legal here in Illinois, which is surprising considering some of the goofy laws we have.
CCW holders here can carry a switchblade if they wish.
Blades over 3 inches are considered "dangerous weapons" and cannot be knowingly brought onto Government funded properties. Not an issue, as this isn't leaving the house ever.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I‘m to clumsy for these things but Microtech makes knives even for the handicapped ;)
I'm really not into the flipping skills, if I were I would look into the bearing pivot skeleton handle type. The traditional pin Balisongs are just too heavy for that kind of acrobatics, and the pins are not designed for that kind of constant abuse.

Perfectly legal here in Illinois, which is surprising considering some of the goofy laws we have.
CCW holders here can carry a switchblade if they wish.
Blades over 3 inches are considered "dangerous weapons" and cannot be knowingly brought onto Government funded properties. Not an issue, as this isn't leaving the house ever.
Canada has some crazy laws too and I've heard border services is even starting to inspect and reject legal knives. Kershaw and Spydercos are being rejected for the thumb stud and thumb hole on the blade for opening.

Glad you found a good source for what you were looking for.

Like you, I just want one for the back yard and around the campfire.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Canada has some crazy laws too and I've heard border services is even starting to inspect and reject legal knives. Kershaw and Spydercos are being rejected for the thumb stud and thumb hole on the blade for opening.
Thats good to know. Virtually all of my folders have thumb studs and most are assisted openers and/or 'flippers'. The London (Ontario) police have checked a few to make sure they couldnt be 'gravity operated' over the years but I havent had any issues.

I was going to start collecting push daggers years ago. At the time they were legal in Canada but no one would sell any. I called Canada Customs about that and was told that because they were being used 'by gangs in Toronto' Canada Customs no longer allows them into the country.

I really want a ProTech Godfather but I cant have one. I've played with Microtech, Al Mar and Gerber autos but my heart is set on a ProTech.

Top Bottom