What's new

Bakelite Razor ID Needed

I picked up what is supposed to be a Bakelite Star razor to go with the Star case that came with an English Gillette. It's definitely a Star handle and baseplate, but now I'm not sure about the cap. In a nutshell, it's a peaked Bakelite cap with the numbers '1' and '2' on opposite sides as opposed to a metal cap. My first hint that something was wrong was when I put in a blade. Basically, there was almost no blade gap!

Needless to say, an attempted shave was mild to the point of ineffectual.
IMG_0127.JPG

Anybody recognize this top cap?
IMG_0129.JPG

Thanks...

I remember seeing it on either eBay or Etsy, but can't find it now. Actually there were two listings and one had the name of the razor. The other just listed it as a black and brown plastic razor. In any case, this is what the original razor looked like:
pent.jpg

As for your Star, I am a Frankenrazor freak, and know that you could probably get top caps from other razors like Merkur clones or Gillette OT and just experiment. Stars prefer thinner caps and so maybe an OC type or a Tech clone would work well.

I remember seeing it on either eBay or Etsy, but can't find it now. Actually there were two listings and one had the name of the razor. The other just listed it as a black and brown plastic razor. In any case, this is what the original razor looked like:
View attachment 837802

As for your Star, I am a Frankenrazor freak, and know that you could probably get top caps from other razors like Merkur clones or Gillette OT and just experiment. Stars prefer thinner caps and so maybe an OC type or a Tech clone would work well.
I've got both an extra OT cap and one from a crappy Tech clone. That's tonight's experiment.

I've got both an extra OT cap and one from a crappy Tech clone. That's tonight's experiment.
I dug out the crappy Chinese Tech clone which has a 3-pin cap. The cap fits (albeit with some need to check blade alignment) and the result looks shaveworthy. Interestingly, the baseplate from the clone looks like a poorly executed clone of the metal Star razor.

I also have a spare OT cap. I'll probably dig it out later and see if it fits better.

I saw a razor with a cap like that somewhere but I don't remember what it was. I thought I bought it but I can't find it. I guess I'm getting old :wheelchair:. Someone told me once that when you get old, you loose 3 things, Your memory........ and, I don't remember the other two.

Does the color/texture of the material match for all three pieces?
Is it possible that what you have is already a FrankenRazor?

Mine has a bakelite handle and OC baseplate with a metal cap painted the same chocolate brown. As near as I can narrow it down( there are no markings on my example), it is very similar to certain Good Humor razors with the same odd shaped metal top cap. Hope that helps . It shaves pretty mild, similar to a newer tech.
20171118_002448.jpg
20171118_002425.jpg

Mine has a bakelite handle and OC baseplate with a metal cap painted the same chocolate brown. As near as I can narrow it down( there are no markings on my example), it is very similar to certain Good Humor razors with the same odd shaped metal top cap. Hope that helps . It shaves pretty mild, similar to a newer tech.View attachment 838377 View attachment 838378
Thanks for the confirmation. I'd pretty much reached the same conclusion that the cap was from a GH or another razor (e.g., ConRad) from the same OEM.

Top Bottom