What's new

Bakelite Handles

Those of you that saw that C-Mon restore I did, here. As I was buffing the handle, I noticed a very distinct chemical odor, one that I have not gotten from other brushes I have restored. This handle also "felt" different as I was taking the knot out. It had more give than typical handles such as rubbersets and century with the same style handles. Could this be bakelite? I was always under the impression bakelite would have to be a solid item, not molded with a hollow handle as these are. Any thoughts?

Not sure, but what I do know is that both Bakelite and Catalin give off distinct odors when sanded/buffed. I believe they both feel different as well (kind of greasy or oily?) Unfortunately I couldnt tell you much more than that.

Not knowing from personal experience, there are several ways to test for bakelite and smell is one of them. The other popular choice is the 409 test - put a little on a cleaned handle with a cotton swab, and if after wiping it, the swab becomes yellow, good chance it's bakelite.

Not knowing from personal experience, there are several ways to test for bakelite and smell is one of them. The other popular choice is the 409 test - put a little on a cleaned handle with a cotton swab, and if after wiping it, the swab becomes yellow, good chance it's bakelite.

Yeah, I reviewed that, and unfortunately a "restored" item does not react. Could they define restored? This was a band-aidy type of smell.

I'm not sure how to describe it but I have been told when you do the rub test its what formaldehyde smells like. Once you figure out what it smells like you won't forget it.

Top Bottom