What's new

Baked Chops anyone?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like baked chops. My mother showed me how to use this method to bake chops, steak or chicken when I left home back in 1983. It is simple but having said that I have stuffed this up many times, and it works better on flat cuts of meat. Easy recipe, just stick it in the oven and worry about what to have with it.
1. Place meat in oven dish or roasting tray.
2. Sprinkle over the meat some dry Gravy powder and some dry French Onion soup mix.
3. Add a small amount of water. I usually go half to a full cup depending how thick the cut of meat is.
4. Cover the tray with aluminium foil and place in oven.
5 Set oven to 180C or 350 F and bake for 1 & 1/2 hours. (Gas oven in my case)
When uncovering the meat as usual take care not to get burned by any escaping steam. I have stuffed this up by placing the dry ingredients too thick and forgetting to add water. If it doesn't work for you the first time don't despair as it took a while for me to get it right. I like the taste of the sauce that is made as the meat cooks in the oven. I hope that you like it too. (I did use steak for this demonstration)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That sounds a simple and tasty way to cook them. I've baked lamb chops but only with a dry seasoning.
My mother use to bake steak with sliced onions on top, flour, salt & pepper.......the onions where great but the steak was always over cooked. I've come to like my steak medium/rare so have not done this for years.
Hmmmm maybe the sliced onion thing would work well on lamb shoulder chops.

Just looking to clarify my thinking not your terminology. Would this be considered braising because of the direct contact with the liquid? I always thought baking meant cooking it dry.

Anyway, this sounds very easy and very tasty. Is it just any dry gravy? Osso Bucco...mmmmmm :drool:

I like the idea of being able to put the oven on and come back in an hour and a half to find a tasty meal waiting - and it makes loads of sense for you in winter, Andrew. I would be looking for some way to incorporate potatoes into the pan and then all I would need would be some salad or some steamed greens.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Strictly speaking, that is "braising," and it is a lovely way to cook suck things as shanks and tough cuts. Nice!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'll generally use one of two methods. The first is similar, but uses veg, not water.

I have a 26cm Le Creuset shallow casserole, and I'll line the base with root veg, typically potato carrot and onion, but I'll occasionally add some swede too. Sweet potato goes to mush in this dish if cooked too long. Some courgette on top of root veg works well here. Sit the chops on top of the veggies, drizzle oil over the lot, then throw in some herbs, garlic cloves, pop the lid on, and bake for 1.1/4 to 1.1/2 at Gas Mark 4 or 180C.

Alternatively, ditch the cast iron, and grab a roll of kitchen foil. Dip the chops in beaten egg, then in Paxo stuffing mix, and wrap in buttered foil. Bake at Gas 6 or 200C for 40-45mins. The meat juices hydrate the stuffing crust. Delicious. Serve with roast tatties and greens, or on a bed of your favourite rice and veg dish.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It probably is correct to say that it is braising, my mother never uses water in the pan but for some reason it never works out the same for me. So I add the water. I maybe too heavy handed with the dry ingredients and that could be it. I really like the sauce that it makes, so I probably go in too thick with the gravy/french onion mix. I like the idea of adding spuds to the mix. I will try that next time. You think in all this time I would have thought about that.

The gravy mix certainly has starch of some kind like arrowroot or even corn starch to thicken the gravy, and I bet that the sauce IS tasty. One thought that you might try for additional flavor and texture: sear those steaks first in a hot, hot, hot skillet. The gravy/soup mix coating would add to the browning and add another flavor layer. You may have to reduce the time in the oven to keep from over-cooking and drying out the meat; I'm guessing 20-30 minutes for medium, but instant-read thermometer will help. Now I'm hungry.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Onions are a great way too add moisture and enrich a gravy. They nearly dissolve on their own over a long cook, or you can hit the gravy with a stick blender at the end.

I've cooked different cuts about the same way, I like to use a red cooking wine instead of plain water though. Adds a bit extra for the flavor of the meat and gravy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the tip on the wine, next time I do this I will try wine instead of water.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Red wine certainly can be good for a gravy. Dry vermouth also is good.

It's also good to finish a gravy with a splash of vinegar, especially sherry vinegar, for a touch of brightness.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Sounds good. I did something similar with a small beef roast last week. First time trying this way but it came out great

Top Bottom