What's new

Baja #2 Barber Style

IMG_6485.JPG
I was lucky enough to come across this beauty out in the wild. The seller was not knowledgeable regarding shaving stuff, but assumed that anything made of Bakelite is "collectible" and therefore commands a premium price. her asking price was pretty painful, but a little discussion, a little back and forth and soon it was mine, albeit at a little more of a premium than the usual find in the wild. Still, I had never come across this particular brush, and this one is in really nice condition. Plus, I am a sucker for barber style handles and butterscotch Catalin, so it was a pretty easy sell. The original boar knot was also in good shape; I tried it a few times but it wasn't to my liking. Nothing like my Omegas, in terms of performance. So out it went, replaced by this 22mm VS silvertip set at 50mm loft. Proof positive of the value of restoring: for me, there's nothing remotely this cool available in the new brush market, at any price.

IMG_6487.JPG

"for me, there's nothing remotely this cool available in the new brush market, at any price."

I have to agree with your last statement above. There were a lot of cool vintage brush handles out there and this is certainly one and you did a great job on the restoration.

Very nice, and in outstanding condition to boot! How do you like the VS silvertip?
I find the VS silvertips to be very nice, and a great value at about twenty bucks shipped. I have also tried the VS Finest knots but wasn't thrilled with them; a little too much scritch for my tastes. The VS silvertips along with the TGN finest are my two favorite knots, but TGN stock has been depleted lately. For some time now, TGN's finest have only been available in larger sizes. I was planning to put one in the Baja, but 22mm was about the max that this handle would accommodate and TGN has no finest knots in stock in either 20mm or 22mm. Not really a problem though, because for me the VS silvertip is ever bit as good a knot, just a little different: it has softer tips but just a little less backbone. All other things being equal, I prefer to set the VS at a bit lower loft for face lathering.

I find the VS silvertips to be very nice, and a great value at about twenty bucks shipped. I have also tried the VS Finest knots but wasn't thrilled with them; a little too much scritch for my tastes. The VS silvertips along with the TGN finest are my two favorite knots, but TGN stock has been depleted lately. For some time now, TGN's finest have only been available in larger sizes. I was planning to put one in the Baja, but 22mm was about the max that this handle would accommodate and TGN has no finest knots in stock in either 20mm or 22mm. Not really a problem though, because for me the VS silvertip is ever bit as good a knot, just a little different: it has softer tips but just a little less backbone. All other things being equal, I prefer to set the VS at a bit lower loft for face lathering.

Doesn't the VS require a larger hole for the same size knot, or a smaller knot for the same size hole?

Thanks @Spang Ever singe Shave Revolution closed down I've been looking for good silvertips at a decent price. Theirs were amazing for $30. I find myself favoring it over my two band finest lately. So soft on the face and much better release.

Doesn't the VS require a larger hole for the same size knot, or a smaller knot for the same size hole?
Yes, the glue bump on the VS silvertips is slightly oversized. I find that to be the case with most knots, but VS is a bit exaggerated in that regard, generally at least 2mm over the base size. On this particular knot, an opening of nearly 25mm was required to comfortably seat the 22mm knot. They are, however, very dense knots. I personally I find the 20mm to be plenty of brush, and that can usually be fit to most medium size vintage handles.

Yes, the glue bump on the VS silvertips is slightly oversized. I find that to be the case with most knots, but VS is a bit exaggerated in that regard, generally at least 2mm over the base size. On this particular knot, an opening of nearly 25mm was required to comfortably seat the 22mm knot. They are, however, very dense knots. I personally I find the 20mm to be plenty of brush, and that can usually be fit to most medium size vintage handles.

Thank you sir. :thumbsup:

@TobyC - my 23.5mm VS has a 27mm glue bump. By far the worst of the 7 different brands I've used. TGN has consistently been the best at staying true to size, with only 1 knot having a glue bump. Fortunately it was a 22mm so it still fit the 1" hole.

Yea, the glue bump on the VS knots can be quite large & can vary depending on the loft you set it at. I had to open up a handle to 24mm for a VS 20mm silvertip knot. Aside from having to plan for the glue bump it's a nice knot and value.

Thanks fellas! :thumbsup: Yeah, they may cost less, but I don't like the idea of having to get a smaller knot to make it fit. Almost sounds like you should use a tapered hole with those things. And to make it worse, you really don't know how big the bump is going to be until you have it in your hand. I think I will just avoid Virginia Shaving.

When working with a vintage handle you can't always just open it up to fit the knot, you need to be able to buy a knot that you know will fit the hole you have.

Top Bottom