What's new

Baikal DE razor at Homelike Shaving

R

romsitsa

With the Rockwell patent being valid in Russia, wonder how this will unfold.

Adam

Their Taiga razor looks interesting. Stainless steel and it comes with an OC and SB plate.

1579214530322.png

1579214558568.png

Lookd like it will sell for $200.

Not sure why someone would but the SS over the Rockwell. The price is about the same after shipping, you get more adjustably with the Rockwell and it is 316 as vice 304 as.
The aluminum, on the other hand....

R

romsitsa

Not sure why someone would but the SS over the Rockwell. The price is about the same after shipping, you get more adjustably with the Rockwell and it is 316 as vice 304 as.
The aluminum, on the other hand....

Imho the Baikals machined finish looks better than Rockwells cast surface, and it’s easier to further polish.

Adam

With the Rockwell patent being valid in Russia, wonder how this will unfold.

Adam

Rockwell's patent should have never been issued for the design. Prior art exists in the Bohin razor so it can be contested and nullified.

Key points are these.
"
There are two criteria for patentability over prior art. First, the invention must be new (or “novel” in the words of the statute) — which generally means it can’t be identical to any single product or reference. Quite simply, this prevents you from patenting ideas that already exist in the public sphere or in previously-filed patent applications.
But at the next level, your invention needs to be inventive (or “non-obvious in the words of the statute) — that is, more than a trivial variation of prior art. That means an invention typically can’t be patented if a person of ordinary skill in the relevant field of technology could derive the invention from the prior art by making obvious changes or substitutions.
It’s also important to inform the patent office if you know of any prior art that’s material to the patentability of the invention claimed in your patent application. Specifically, all inventors (and anyone substantively involved with a patent application) have a duty of disclosure, candor, and good faith in dealing with the patent office. Complying with this obligation is often easy, as the patent office provides a specific procedure for telling them about any relevant prior art."

They can make a case on the first level but the inventive part not a chance.
The bolded portion is the noose around Rockwell's proverbial patent neck assuming they didn't make reference to the Bohin in the patent application.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Bohin, RAP and other razors with flippable base plates are stand alone designs, while the Rockwell is patented as a shaving system with at least 2 base plates. It’s not a killer prior art, imho.

Adam

Bohin, RAP and other razors with flippable base plates are stand alone designs, while the Rockwell is patented as a shaving system with at least 2 base plates. It’s not a killer prior art, imho.

Adam

Karve is a razor system also. If they came to market first then that is prior art for a multiple plate system. I am sure there are others just none are coming to mind right now.

R

romsitsa

Karve is a razor system also. If they came to market first then that is prior art for a multiple plate system. I am sure there are others just none are coming to mind right now.

Yes, but Karve plates are not revesible, still not a "killer" or, from a different point of view, Rockwells patent won't influence the business of Karve. There is no razor with multiple reversible plates except for Rockwell and now the Baikal.

Adam

Yes, but Karve plates are not revesible, still not a "killer" or, from a different point of view, Rockwells patent won't influence the business of Karve. There is no razor with multiple reversible plates except for Rockwell and now the Baikal.

Adam

You are right about not killing their business just the patent protection is all. There is also another reversible plate razor out there made by suppaparts.

I ordered a Baikal razor (blue aluminum, or al-you-min-E-yum, if you’re a Brit) on Jan 16.
The box took 4 days to go 1750 miles across Russia, Omsk to Marushkinskoye near Moscow.
Then 3 days to get from Moscow to JFK Airport in NY.
Arrived in the US and also cleared customs on Jan 25.
It has now been in the US, 1100 miles away, for 9 days and I still don’t have the razor.
(I’ve also been waiting for some Yaqi stuff from AliExpress since Dec 16. I’ve at least been credited for that stuff...)
The USPS is a freaking disaster. Why In the **** would anyone want MORE government?

5A61686A-9ACC-4D97-9C18-9DC56A1DE86B.jpeg
B7D844D2-5969-45AE-8DC7-9F7BC9B24152.jpeg
9B03A4C9-072A-4EC7-93A2-79BA19B183E2.jpeg

Reactions: JSW
I ordered a Baikal razor (blue aluminum, or al-you-min-E-yum, if you’re a Brit) on Jan 16.
The box took 4 days to go 1750 miles across Russia, Omsk to Marushkinskoye near Moscow.
It has now been in the US, 1100 miles away, for 9 days and I still don’t have the razor.
(I’ve also been waiting for some Yaqi stuff from AliExpress since Dec 16. I’ve at least been credited for that stuff...)
The USPS is a freaking disaster. Why In the **** would anyone want MORE government?

View attachment 1059272
View attachment 1059271
View attachment 1059273
How did you do that I paid for $14 international shipping and my start razor is nine and a half weeks in travel. And got to k c on the 22nd

View attachment 1059272
View attachment 1059271
View attachment 1059273
The Ail delay is due partly to us customs and yaqi seems to try to ship their stuff the slowest way possible.

Top Bottom