What's new

Badgers which dont shed hairs

I have a vulfix Grosvenor mixed hair brush, Simpson's Chubby3 badger and Saponificio Varensi badger which is of course from Italy and similar knot to Chubby3.
The latter does not shed a single hair whereas the first 2 have shed the odd one and continue to get worse! Chubby3 3 at least 10 a shave. I do take care of them. SV is a year old, the others 5to 3 years.
I was wondering if anyone had a badger brush which does not lose hairs. I do prefer badgers , although have only tried a mule travel synthetic. Lather was not nearly as good as with badgers, but newer generations may be ok.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Badger brushes that don’t shed are a luck of the draw situation. I’ve had a lot of badger brushes. Only 2 have refused to shed a single hair. The first was a Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip. I sold it in spite of it never shedding because it had a tendency to release the lather at the base of the knot messily. Not my preference.

The second one to refuse to shed a single hair is my current Simpson’s Chubby 1 Super. It’s actually my second Chubby 1 Super, I sold the first which shed a couple hairs early and then stopped. This newer one has about 20 shaves on it so far and hasn’t dropped a single hair. I have also had a couple Simpson Manchurians that weren’t shedders, but did shed a couple hairs early when new.

If you get a brush that is a chronic shedder and it doesn’t stop, I would contact the maker and let them know. They may be able to address it.

Several brush makers here can likely address. Shedding hair can be for a number of reasons - including a poor glue job, improper storage or being kept wet too long. None of my badgers (>20) have shed any hair significantly other than a couple or so during the first week or two of use. My Vie Long horsehair, OTOH.... :001_rolle

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Several brush makers here can likely address. Shedding hair can be for a number of reasons - including a poor glue job, improper storage or being kept wet too long. None of my badgers (>20) have shed any hair significantly other than a couple or so during the first week or two of use. My Vie Long horsehair, OTOH.... :001_rolle

I have an Epsilon Silvertip made by VL and it’s the worst shedder I have ever owned.

Simpson brushes do seem to have a bad reputation for shedding, although not all do this. I have two Simpson brushes atm, a Duke 2 in best which shed a few hairs at first but none since, and a Chubby 2 synth which has never shed a hair; yet two Simpson brushes I had in the past, another Duke 2 and one with a Manchurian knot, shed throughout their time with me.
My Shavemac silvertip and two-band silvertip brushes have not shed at all, nor has my Kent BK8, although I don't use it very much. My Morris and Forndran brushes also seem immune to shedding, although some owners have reported this issue, I believe.
I won't go through the full list of the brush makers whose wares I have used, but suffice it to say that most tend to shed a little at first, then stop doing so. A few of my synthetic brushes have shed just one or two hairs, and some none at all.

My Paladin's have never shed and I have about 15 of them. My SV 2.0, on the other hand, will shed occasionally but much less when I first put in rotation a few years ago.

In my experience, it is very much as @IMightBeWrong said, "it's the luck of the draw." Among the badger brushes I currently own, none shed at all, which is a large part of why I still own them. None are expensive knots. One is a Yaqui 2 band, one a WCS silvertip and one a Maggard 2 band in a Made Right handle. I just sold a Simpsons Commodore, but not because it was a shedder. In the brief time I owned it (I bought it new) it did not shed a single hair. I have had 3 Simpson Duke's, only one of which shed at all.

I have 35 brushes and none shed. The only brush I have ever had that did shed some hairs was a Simpson Duke 3 which was replaced and the replacement has not shed.

Top Bottom