What's new

Badger Navigator Class vs Henry Cavendish Himalaya

Have any of you tried both the Badger Navigator Class and the Henry Cavendish Himalaya shave soaps? If so, which is better? I know the Cavendish has been around longer and is more reputable, but looking at the ingredients for both the Badger seems equally if not more impressive, especially since it’s certified organic. (To be clear, the organic part isn’t really a deal breaker for me. Not super important, just an added bonus.) Even if you haven’t tried both, input on one or the other is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I haven't even heard of either of these soaps and I'm on the forum a lot. You may or may not be able to find anybody who has tried both.
If you post the ingedients list, I'd be happy to see which one I think would be better, for what it is worth.

I've tried the Badger Navigator Class, but not the Henry Cavendish. I'm sorry to say that this soap did not work out for me. I really liked the fragrance, but I couldn't make a lather that would last any time at all. I suppose it was slick enough if you could overlook the non-lathering part. It's been several years, but that's what I remember. Maybe it's been reformulated and is better now.

I've tried the Badger Navigator Class, but not the Henry Cavendish. I'm sorry to say that this soap did not work out for me. I really liked the fragrance, but I couldn't make a lather that would last any time at all. I suppose it was slick enough if you could overlook the non-lathering part. It's been several years, but that's what I remember. Maybe it's been reformulated and is better now.
Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't even heard of either of these soaps and I'm on the forum a lot. You may or may not be able to find anybody who has tried both.
If you post the ingedients list, I'd be happy to see which one I think would be better, for what it is worth.
That would be super helpful actually!

The Cavendish is as follows:
Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Castorate (Castor) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Purified Water, Carthamus Tinctorius (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil, Sorbitol (Moisturizer), Shea Butter, Soy, Himalaya Fragrance (a blend of exotic woods: Indian cedar, Himalayan blue pine, cashmere musk and Indian amber).

And here’s the Badger:
Sodium Palmate (Organic †Palm Oil & Sodium Hydroxide), Sodium Cocoate (Organic Coconut Oil & Sodium Hydroxide), Water (Aqua), *Glycerin, *Butryospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, *Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Peel Oil, Sodium Citrate, *Vetiveria Zizanoides (Vetivert) Root Oil, *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, *Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil *Elettaria Cardamomum (Cardamom) Seed Oil, *Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla) Fruit Extract, *Piper Nigrum (Black Pepper) Fruit Oil, *Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Resin Extract.

The Cavendish formula is supposed to lend to a very long lasting lather that won’t dry out, kind of its main selling point. I also haven’t heard much about the Badger, it’s a fairly little known brand. Thanks for doing this by the way. I don’t know much about ingredients, and I really appreciate your help.

Judging by those ingedients, the first one is likely to be easier to lather up and I suspect it will also produce a slightly richer lather.
The second one is closer to the formulas currently used by the old school houses in Europe, which are reformulations of soaps that were better in the distant past.

To be honest, neither one is really typical of most modern artisan soaps, almost all of which have stearic acid (potassium stearate in its saponified form) at or near the top of the list.

Soaps with glycerin as their first ingedient tend to be thirsty and to produce thick, yogurt-like lathers.

It is also unusual to see shave soaps using sodium hydroxide as the lone saponifying agent. Potassium hydroxide makes for a softer soap consistency that loads into the brush more easily. Most shave soaps, therefore, are saponofied with pure potassium hydroxide or with a combination of potassium and sodium hydroxide. Glycerin also makes a soap quite soft, though. Maybe the first soap had to rely on sodium hydroxide only because it has so much glycerin in it that had they used potassium hydroxide it would have been a mushy mess.

It is also unusual to see shave soaps using sodium hydroxide as the lone saponifying agent. Potassium hydroxide makes for a softer soap consistency that loads into the brush more easily. Most shave soaps, therefore, are saponofied with pure potassium hydroxide or with a combination of potassium and sodium hydroxide. Glycerin also makes a soap quite soft, though. Maybe the first soap had to rely on sodium hydroxide only because it has so much glycerin in it that had they used potassium hydroxide it would have been a mushy mess.
Thank you so much for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Top Bottom