What's new

Badger lover considering a badger/boar mix - Survivable? Sacrilege?

I've said this repeatedly because it bears repeating. The ONLY storebought (not custom) brush I'd take over my Semogue BC Mistura is my Rooney Finest. And those brushes sell for nearly $1000 these days... and I'm not selling mine... so that's how good that brush is.

High praise!! :a29::a29:

Rooney’s Finest has been on my Christmas list for awhile (but LOTH is ignoring that!)

They don’t sell often. There’s one guy on another forum with a 30 or 40 piece collection and he seems to let one go every now and then. But honestly, at the price they are at, the 70/30 mixed Knots are similar enough, I say Save the money and get one of those.

With a tip of the hat to @Chan Eil Whiskers (Jim) whose Mistura and mine were in a race to our US shores, and who posted a very good review about these at Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/semogue-soc-mistura-your-impressions-mine.591184/
I figured it was time to add my two cents after a number of additional Mistura shaves.
To answer my own Q from this thread title - the mix knot is clearly survivable and, in fact, is a pleasure to use. Very nice backbone, little bit of good scritch, nice splay and soft feeling lather-efficient tips. Color me pleasantly surprised at the knot.
I probably diverge a bit from Jim’s view on the ergonomics of the handle which he apparently likes. Perhaps I’ve spent too many years with large brushes like the M7s and xxl Zenith Manchurian copper to fully grasp (pun intended) any particular ergonomic love for the handle. Usable? Yes. Lovable? YMMV.
When I’ve gone smaller happily there has usually been a tactile aid (think Rooney Beehive) that afforded me a comfortable, secure grip. While I love the look of the SOC Butterscotch Mistura I still struggle with its handle size and slickness - actually slipped right out of my hand today but thankfully landed softly, whew.
Overall, I think the superb knot is worth the price of admission on this one and for many the handle will pose no issues. I for one plan to keep using it and hope, as my wife might say, that I “just get a grip” :cool:
In sum, 1)brush - beautiful; 2)knot - excellent; 3)butterscotch resin handle - you decide.
Cheers

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
They don’t sell often. There’s one guy on another forum with a 30 or 40 piece collection and he seems to let one go every now and then. But honestly, at the price they are at, the 70/30 mixed Knots are similar enough, I say Save the money and get one of those.

If I can just get my 70/30 to break in...it has great potential I think.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
SOC.Mistura.FOCS.Vitos.480.7-30-20.JPG

Mistura: Great brush.

With a tip of the hat to @Chan Eil Whiskers (Jim) whose Mistura and mine were in a race to our US shores, and who posted a very good review about these at Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/semogue-soc-mistura-your-impressions-mine.591184/
I figured it was time to add my two cents after a number of additional Mistura shaves.
To answer my own Q from this thread title - the mix knot is clearly survivable and, in fact, is a pleasure to use. Very nice backbone, little bit of good scritch, nice splay and soft feeling lather-efficient tips. Color me pleasantly surprised at the knot.
I probably diverge a bit from Jim’s view on the ergonomics of the handle which he apparently likes. Perhaps I’ve spent too many years with large brushes like the M7s and xxl Zenith Manchurian copper to fully grasp (pun intended) any particular ergonomic love for the handle. Usable? Yes. Lovable? YMMV.
When I’ve gone smaller happily there has usually been a tactile aid (think Rooney Beehive) that afforded me a comfortable, secure grip. While I love the look of the SOC Butterscotch Mistura I still struggle with its handle size and slickness - actually slipped right out of my hand today but thankfully landed softly, whew.
Overall, I think the superb knot is worth the price of admission on this one and for many the handle will pose no issues. I for one plan to keep using it and hope, as my wife might say, that I “just get a grip” :cool:
In sum, 1)brush - beautiful; 2)knot - excellent; 3)butterscotch resin handle - you decide.
Cheers

Great comparison!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

My ‘problem’ with handles is that I prefer to have some variety!

(At least that is my argument for a rotation!)

Top Bottom