What's new

Badger lover considering a badger/boar mix - Survivable? Sacrilege?

I'd love a handle height somewhere between the Semouge SOC & C5 Torga. I'm so picky these days. I am interested in their finest knot, but this Mistura knot is intriguing as well.

I would definitely recommend the Semogue Mistura knot, it’s great, especially once broken in.
I’ve had the SOC Mistura for about 18 months, and it’s my favourite brush.
Recently got the Torga C5 Mistura as well, same 24 mm knot, but slightly shorter loft, so I suspect it will have a bit more backbone long term.
Handle wise, although Torga looks great, I prefer the SOC handle, it’s more comfortable to hold and use.

This will be arriving shortly. Until then...

The date of the above post is 4/28/20. The order was placed 4/14/20.

Orders from Portuguese Factory typically take 3 weeks. USPS does track the Portugal postal number once it arrives in US customs.

No hide nor HAIR of the brushes since they left Lisbon Post Office 4/15/20. It's not PF's fault. There is substantially less traffic worldwide, freight or otherwise. Consider 45 days optimistic.

Last edited:
5 brushes made with the 70/30 fans.

Lofts 45,46,47,48 and 49. (Already own one @ 51mm). Shave with 46 today was plenty soft, going to build down. I’ll use the 45 tomorrow and make a 44, then repeat until the knot gets too stiff.

Wow , who knew!!! A tip of the cap to Jim (Chan Eli Whiskers) for the "Flitz" suggestion. Grabbed some of it and here is 1st pass of the before and after :)
P1080538.jpgP1080540.jpg
What a difference, Thanks

5 brushes made with the 70/30 fans.

Lofts 45,46,47,48 and 49. (Already own one @ 51mm). Shave with 46 today was plenty soft, going to build down. I’ll use the 45 tomorrow and make a 44, then repeat until the knot gets too stiff.

Just curious, do you have to bore the hole deeper in the handle in order to set the knots so deeply?

With most brushes, yes.

Modern brushes tend to be really easy to do this with, but older plastics can take quite a bit of work. The worst are the ones that are set with a cement like plaster in the bottom, it can take forever to drill out.

I received a TurnNShave Mix 70/30 24mm brush today and I'd have to say, I love it! It has the scrub of a half-broken in boar while having a dense badger-like backbone. I don't think it can be my daily driver because it'd have a bit too much scrub for that. But I'd enjoy it for heavier growth shaves / 2+ days of growth. I love the artisan handle as well so that's a plus.

TurnNShave 24mm Mixed knot.jpg
20200604_155841-COLLAGE.jpg

Mix Badger boar.jpg

Back to the original question, go for it and get yourself a SOC Mistura - you will not be disappointed!

I finally used my new SOC Mistura for the first time today and had one of the best shaves of my life. Not sure if it was the Truefitt & Hill 1805 cream (which I also used for the first time today) or the fresh Rapira Platinum Lux blade or that I had taken a swim an hour and a half earlier, but my GC .68 JAWS sliced through three days of growth like soft "buttah" on a summer day.

The SOC Mistura is a terrific brush - soft tips with firm backbone and a hint of scritchiness. And it holds plenty of lather as can be seen in the first photo which was taken after applying the first load of cream onto my face. If you were like me and had questioned the notion of mixing badger and boar hairs, I strongly urge you to get over it and get yourself one of these fine and pleasurable brushes.

And finally, the rest of the Semogue clan has welcomed the Mistura into the family with open arms. In the second photo, the SOC Mistura is second from the right with the 2015 HD on its left and the SOC 2 Band Finest Badger on its right. I just have say that I am truly enjoying the quality, performance and value of my Semogue brushes.

And finally finally, I too have to tip my hat to Jim (@Chan Eil Whiskers) - you are truly an enabler*.

20200606_162021614_iOS.jpg

20200606_201450743_iOS.jpg

*A compliment of the highest praise.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I cannot wait to hear what you guys think of your Misturas, @facetime and @Chan Eil Whiskers. Mine took about 45 days to arrive from PF. And the tracking on CTT does work. I used the link Site CTT - https://www.ctt.pt/feapl_2/app/open/objectSearch/objectSearch.jspx?request_locale=en. At one point the tracking went into radio silence but once it cleared US customs I was able to track it do my doorstep.

I don't seem able to track mine. I'll just be patient and surprised when it arrives.

I'm very glad to read about yours and your shaves using it. Everyone seems to love the Mistura knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Recently picked up the SOC Taj Mistura and have been looking at Torga C5. I dont have any experience with high end badgers, but I am liking the mixed knot. I like some scrub, and this seems have a little more than my all badgers.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Recently picked up the SOC Taj Mistura and have been looking at Torga C5. I dont have any experience with high end badgers, but I am liking the mixed knot. I like some scrub, and this seems have a little more than my all badgers.

I've looked at the C5, too, but think I might not like its handle and loft dimensions compared to the SOC Mistura. I'm going to wait for my SOC Mistura to arrive, and try it for a while, and think about the C5 once I find out what the SOC Mistura's like.

The C5 is a very nice looking brush in my view of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I was on the fence re the handle as well. The C5 in boar is on its way. Figured it would be a good way to see what handle is like.

I haven’t tried their newer mixed brushes, but the barbera Classico or whatever LE was my #2 brush for years. I actually stopped using it in favor of the maggard/apshave mixed knots because it softened up so much that I missed the scrubby action.

Great brushes.
I have the SOC Mistura which I am breaking in.

I ordered the 2019 Barbear LE from Vintage Scent. Note the 26mm size.
1591724856185.png

Hey Jim @chaneliwhiskers looks like my “Mistura” arrived at JFK airport yesterday :) .
Hope they get it on road to NC post haste.
Fingers crossed 🤞 both yours and mine will arrive soonly.

Top Bottom