What's new

badger brushes

when i started wet shaving around 2 years ago, through ethical reasons, i started off with only synthetics, and then decided to try a badger, then another and another etc, at the beginning i was purchasing my badger brushes by grade, but now around 2 years later i choose my brushes more now by make or style/look of brush, as after having used all the grades of badger hair, i really don't think a particular grade gives an actual better shave than another(I'm sure i will have a few of you guys strongly disagreeing with me) yes different grades maybe feel different to each other on the face, but for the actual shave, i dont think a particular grade gives an actual better/closer shave than another🤔, anyone with me here, feel free to share your opinions👍🏼

Brushes are tools and I've never found one to necessarily have a superior final result. The process to that end result can vary considerably, however.

But could somebody look at a bowl of lather and tell which type of brush lathered it? I doubt it very much.

The lowest grade badgers are extremely uncomfortable. If you like scratching your face when you lather up go ahead, but not me. Unfortunately these lowest grade brushes sometimes actually lather faster. Me, I'm addicted to Silvertip, but that doesn't keep me from using many others, but I have sworn off pure grade badgers.

I enjoy badgers the most but I am also very happy with a good synthetic brush or a boar. Variety can enhance the shaving experience. I find bloomed badger knots to be quite beautiful and interesting in appearance.

I never quite understood the arguments that synthetic brushes are more ‘ethical‘ than badger. Who is to say whether cruelty to animals is more unethical than plastic pollution and unnecessary consumption of fossil fuels, as well as the no doubt toxic waste that accompanies plastic production (I presume that synthetic brush hairs are plastics - synthetic polymers, like nylon - and are made from crude oil). The notion that synthetic brush fibres are clean or ethical seems like lazy thinking to me.

By the way, I recently purchased a Declaration Grooming badger brush with a ‘unicorn ivory’ handle. I do hope the handle is truly made of ivory from a slaughtered unicorn and I would be disappointed if it turned out to be something as unethical as plastic.

Last edited:
The lowest grade badgers are extremely uncomfortable. If you like scratching your face when you lather up go ahead, but not me. Unfortunately these lowest grade brushes sometimes actually lather faster. Me, I'm addicted to Silvertip, but that doesn't keep me from using many others, but I have sworn off pure grade badgers.
Interesting point. It makes me wonder if its possible to reduce the "scratch" on pure badger/similar brushes by treating them with some sort of a file or simply by using them too many times, much like a barber primes his brushes (though admittedly this might do more to the hardness/water bearing capacity of the strand than the tip itself). Would love to hear from someone who has tried anything similar.

Interesting point. It makes me wonder if its possible to reduce the "scratch" on pure badger/similar brushes by treating them with some sort of a file or simply by using them too many times, much like a barber primes his brushes (though admittedly this might do more to the hardness/water bearing capacity of the strand than the tip itself). Would love to hear from someone who has tried anything similar.
I read about someone claiming that using sandpaper would do that. It didn't work for me.

Before I knew better, I got a cheap badger brush from amazon, I believe the brand was Grand Slam. It was advertised as "finest badger," whatever that means. But it doesn't look like a pure black. Anyway, it's not all that scritchy. I have a vintage boar with more scritch. Beyond being a lather hog I have no complaints.

By the way, I recently purchased a Declaration Grooming badger brush with a ‘unicorn ivory’ handle. I do hope the handle is truly made of ivory from a slaughtered unicorn and I would be disappointed if it turned out to be something as unethical as plastic.
+1 Love this. lol

I'm kind of new to badgers and bought some Yaqi 2band and a silver tip brushes. Each brush does feel a little different when lathering and is a nice change up from my synthetics that I still enjoy the most for now. 2band badgers are very nice because they have the backbone with soft pillow like tips. My 24mm high mountain silver tip is also a nice brush and it is not floppy and works well.
The grades of badger is a guide for folks who want a certain feel to the face. I do not have a Pure badger but that is for fellows who love scrubbing the face and has the most back bone is my understanding.

Top Bottom