What's new

Badger brush upgrade recommendations?

Hello all.
I am currently using an EJ best badger medium brush and am looking to 'upgrade'.
I typically use shaving soaps and am more of a face latherer.

I've looked through the various posts, and the challenge to me is that there's so much out there, it can get overwhelming. I thought my fellow members could help narrow my choices.

So many choices, but so much fun! :huh:

A price target would help narrow the choices. That said, if it's in the budget I'd likely recommend one of the Germans, either Thater or Shavemac.

I agree with Face&Head,... price range would help... And how much of an upgrade you would like... I had a boar brush that I loved for soap and a good scrub... not an upgrade by any means but all I guess to say "it all depends what you like". I also have a Kent Bk4 which I use with creams and I would not trade for the world... not top of the line but would be an upgrade for sure.

Thank you for the input.
I'm happy enough with the EJ best badger, but was looking for a significant upgrade in terms of material/feel/quality. As such, no particular price target, but for the sake of discussion, let's say under $200.
You might say I have early symptoms of SBAD and am feeling the itch to get something new and perhaps different!

I'm drooling looking up the choices that have been mentioned! So many choices...I'll have to pace myself lest the SWMBO take too much notice :)
Thanks all.

Hello all.
I am currently using an EJ best badger medium brush and am looking to 'upgrade'.
I typically use shaving soaps and am more of a face latherer.

I've looked through the various posts, and the challenge to me is that there's so much out there, it can get overwhelming. I thought my fellow members could help narrow my choices.

So many choices, but so much fun! :huh:

I also use the Jagger Best and continually jones for a new real spendy awesome brush.

Then I get one pass BBS from my current hardware setup.

So I pulled the trigger on some Trafalgar Bath gel and a bottle of Grafton cologne instead.

Bernd made a custom Shavemac D03 for me because i wanted ultimate softness and also decent backbone. It is my only "nice brush" and I have used/abused/enjoyed it for over a year now. Might be the only nice brush I ever own. Highly, highly recommended. Also, Bernd's customer service is incredible.

So many choices!
I'm currently leaning towards a shavemac d01 2-band silvertip - but the others I've looked at are nice too. Once again the advice of fellow members is much appreciated.
SBAD is simmering...

How soft are you hoping for? Do you like the skritch in your best badger, or would you like something softer?

The Shavemac will do you well then. I had a D01 Two band for quite a long time and it has just a hint of skritch to it. You should also consider a TGN or Simpson two band as they also offer a hint of skritch. I feel the TGN knots are a much better value, though even the extra stuffed knots wont match the density of a Simpson Chubby.

Top Bottom