What's new

Badger Brush Suggestions??

Okay, flame me if you must, but I've yet to try a badger brush out. I've been using boar since I've started, and gotten good results. I don't plan on buying anytime soon, I'm leaving that for the wife to do come Christmas time. What would you suggest I get? Silvertip, Best Badger, Super Badger, Pure? Let's just say that price isn't a problem, just to keep things simple.

I think the at the higher price range you are paying for luxury and the rareness of the particular grade of hair. It doesn't mean it will lather significantly better!

If you use mainly creams and lather in a bowl I'd get a medium Silvertip, if you mainly use soaps and face lather I'd get a Best, or densely packed Silvertip/Super (Rooney) in small!

Hope that helps!

The Shavemacs are excellent brushes and the sale Jim has makes the deal even better. Rooney brushes are another excellent choice. I personally have a 1/2 and 3/1 and both are great all-around brushes. For a bit more money, the Rooney Emillion and Stubby lines are excellent.

as your enjoying boar so much get a badger/boar mix

Vulfix 404 over here but for you i think emsplace has one

See how this hits you:

A custom Shavemac. Not just any custom Shavemac. A 21mm/45mm knot in Finest hair. I just bucked convention a little and purchased a 19mm/45 in Finest because I just had to know how it compares to my D01 brush.

I have to say that, dollar for dollar, it's better than D01. I'm going to put together a post soon (with picutres) outlining the key differences between those grades of hair used in short-loft Shavemacs.

-Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy:

You certainly have my attention. Whenever I use my Shavemac, which has a 55 mm loft in FInest, I often wondered what a short loft would feel like. I am anxiously awaiting your impressions. :001_smile

See how this hits you:

A custom Shavemac. Not just any custom Shavemac. A 21mm/45mm knot in Finest hair. I just bucked convention a little and purchased a 19mm/45 in Finest because I just had to know how it compares to my D01 brush.

I have to say that, dollar for dollar, it's better than D01. I'm going to put together a post soon (with picutres) outlining the key differences between those grades of hair used in short-loft Shavemacs.

-Andy

The Shavemacs are excellent brushes and the sale Jim has makes the deal even better. Rooney brushes are another excellent choice. I personally have a <snip> 3/1 and both are great all-around brushes. <snip>

+1 I snipped the parts I couldn't speak to from experience (I'm sure they're true). The Rooney 3/1 (Super) and the Shavemac (I have the 177) are stalwarts. The Rooney is firmer and not quite as soft; the Shavemac is luxuriously soft, yet still reasonably firm. The Rooney can face lather very well, but the Shavemac seems to do better with bowl lathering. With that distinction (face vs. bowl lathering) in place, I believe they work equally well with creams or soaps. I recommend either one unreservedly. Given the sale on the Shavemacs, if they look at all interesting, grab one at a criminally low price.

Go get a B&B E in the contrib forum before they run out! :badger:

I'd say the B&B Essential, too. I think it's a step up from the C&E. You're already a contributor, so you can buy one in the contributor's forum (while they last!). It's a well-made, perfectly proportioned brush that does everything well, feels good in your hand and looks pretty cool to boot.

Besides, if you get something fancier (e.g., silver tip), I suspect it will just feel too floppy to you, since you are accustomed to boar, which is much stiffer than badger. The B&B Essential is a nice compromise.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom