What's new

Badger/Boar combination brushes

How-do, Gentlemen?
I purchased a set from Sergio on this forum, that included a Dovo stainless razor, a Hand American strop, and a D.R. Harris badger/boar comination brush. I have been thoroughly thrilled with all three items. After trying a few badger brushes, and a few boar brushes, the D.R. Harris combo can't be beat in my book. Any other companies making such a thing? I can't even find a D.R. Harris still being sold. I did see a Vulfix Grosvenor, but at $25, I sure wonder about the quality. My D.R. Harris is soft but beefy, and I'd kill for a couple more similar brushes with different handles, just because I am an easily distracted human who wants more.
Thanks for your help, as always,
Damon

How-do, Gentlemen?
I purchased a set from Sergio on this forum, that included a Dovo stainless razor, a Hand American strop, and a D.R. Harris badger/boar comination brush. I have been thoroughly thrilled with all three items. After trying a few badger brushes, and a few boar brushes, the D.R. Harris combo can't be beat in my book. Any other companies making such a thing? I can't even find a D.R. Harris still being sold. I did see a Vulfix Grosvenor, but at $25, I sure wonder about the quality. My D.R. Harris is soft but beefy, and I'd kill for a couple more similar brushes with different handles, just because I am an easily distracted human who wants more.
Thanks for your help, as always,
Damon

Honestly I'd be surprised to see a combo brush that cost more than $25. Boar bristle brushes are cheap. They have to be pretty hardcore to get above $20 unless the reason is the handle (Such as Semogues with fairly detailed grading systems), and I've yet to see a mixed brush that used an expensive type of badger hair. I suspect doing so would just make a soggy boar brush since the soft and floppy badger hair would get lost in the bristles backbone. Leon posted a poll about interest in mixed hair brushes a few weeks ago. You may want to pm him to see if he is maybe engaged in something that might interest you.

edit: Man it took me awhile to remember Leon's name.

Last edited:
Another Ian!
thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll try the Grosvenor from Vulfix. The handle doesn't do much for me, but what the heck. Thanks for the tip on Leon's poll. It didn't come up when I searched for badger/boar.
Best,
Damon

The grovesnor 404 is great value at $25.00. I like boar brushes & badger, I am not convinced I like a mix though. I am going to rip the knot out of my 404 & re knot it, not sure what with yet. It is not dense enough for my liking & has got too floppy with use.

Top Bottom