What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Dropped my (glass) bottle of El Dorado on the tile floor while cleaning up last night. It hit hard and snapped right off at the neck. The bottle itself is done, but I managed to salvage about an ounce and a half of the elixer, and I'm nowhere near the bottom of my favourite hot sauces.
Looking around my bathroom, I found an almost empty decant of Brut AS....
Poured the El Dorado through a coffee filter in a funnel into the decant....wow!
I'm not sure on the exact ratio, but this needs to be replicated, the combination takes the original blend just a little bit further! I'm gonna start with 3 to 1 and go from there.

Dropped my (glass) bottle of El Dorado on the tile floor while cleaning up last night. It hit hard and snapped right off at the neck. The bottle itself is done, but I managed to salvage about an ounce and a half of the elixer, and I'm nowhere near the bottom of my favourite hot sauces.
Looking around my bathroom, I found an almost empty decant of Brut AS....
Poured the El Dorado through a coffee filter in a funnel into the decant....wow!
I'm not sure on the exact ratio, but this needs to be replicated, the combination takes the original blend just a little bit further! I'm gonna start with 3 to 1 and go from there.
when you say 3 to 1 is that 3 El Dorado to 1 Brut, or vice versa? Oh, and sorry about your loss.

when you say 3 to 1 is that 3 El Dorado to 1 Brut, or vice versa? Oh, and sorry about your loss.

Yes, but what a happy accident it turned into.
I'm guessing my concoction is around three parts El Dorado to one part Brut, or equal parts of all four components IIRC. I can pick out the Brut but just barely so it's not overpowering the others, just sitting nicely in the mix. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves over the course of the day.

I finally found a bottle laying around the house appropriate to hold a DIY aftershave! My wife had a waterford crystal perfume bottle with a crystal finial style top - never used! Permission was granted. I poured in 9 parts Osage Rub, 1 part Dollar Spice and 2 drops of Lemon essential oil. It needs a name:

LEMON LIME AFTERSHAVE (is that name already taken?)

I like it!! So does SWMBO (who finds Osage Rub to be a bit much but it doesn't have any staying power anyway).
proxy.php
proxy.php

I'm guessing my concoction is around three parts El Dorado to one part Brut, or equal parts of all four components IIRC. I can pick out the Brut but just barely so it's not overpowering the others, just sitting nicely in the mix. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves over the course of the day.
i did a little mix of 2 parts el dorado to 1 brut this morning. It does bring out some different notes in the el dorado that are present but subdued otherwise. an interesting combination.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

i did a little mix of 2 parts el dorado to 1 brut this morning. It does bring out some different notes in the el dorado that are present but subdued otherwise. an interesting combination.

Morbid curiosity is gonna make me go try this. :)

I had a middle-of-the-night idea for a blend.. Quartet In A(von).

1/4th each of:
Tribute
Tai Winds
Windjammer
Deep Woods

Four scents that are pretty one dimensional, I thought maybe would be interesting mixed together.
I think it's too much.. The scent I'm getting is just sort of a powdery hammer..

I think one of them needs to go.. maybe Tai Winds since it's the strongest of the 4 on its own.
So maybe eventually we'll see a Trio in A(von). I also have an idea for a Leather bomb..

OK, nose tested the 66/33 Oland/SR blend. The lessening of the SR really killed the longevity compared to the previous mix, and the increase of Oland didn't really help it's part. So, the "sweet spot" must lie between 66/33 and 60/40. I gonna called it 65/35 and just get on with life smelling great!

I'm leaning towards calling it "Smokey the Bear" - unless that infringes on a trademark and is not allowed. If so, "Bare Smoke" will be the default.

Been using my "Smokey The Bear" blend the past week and a half. I gotta say I really like it! Time has been good for it, and I think the longer it sits, the nicer it will get. Definitely a keeper blend!

so the Family Dollar sale got me to stop by a store. I picked up one bottle. At home I added half that and half current Old Spice (2oz each), 5 ML Glycerin, 5 ML, Crystal deodorant (its basically alum, baking soda, Zinc Glutonate and some other anti bacterial salt). It smells like Old Spice, not old or new, but still distinctly Old Spice. I ordered some menthol crystals. they should be here this week. I decanted it into a P&G era OS bottle and await the arrival of my menthol to make my own version of Cold Spice. I also need to go raid that dollar tree for the rest of their large stash of Vijon. If s turns out as expected i will want to replicate it as it is approaching summer here in FL, and that's when the menthol excels. I have a number of Blue AS, and a Orange Chill as well. I just want to make sure I have some variety this summer, plus it was fun :). More to follow once the crystals arrive.

OMG the crystals made the brew. This is AWESOME stuff. I also strengthened my AV Ice Blue. And I added some to one of my masters AS- Topaz I think. Maybe Champagne. I decanted them so I forget which is which. Either way - Menthol crystals good!

Thanks for the link. If anyone in the US is interested is splitting some of those ample amounts, let me know. I'll buy some off ya.

out of curiosity, I ended up mixing Stiring Spice and Barrister Reserve spice together and ended up with a concoction that smells amazing. Not a dead ringer for Shulton but it is very close.

I ordered a 1 oz bag from eBay for 5 bucks shipped. The 1 oz should last 3 years (I add it to my Witch Hazel tonic which is my first splash followed by normal aftershave). Be careful with adding menthol crystals to your bottle of aftershave itself. It can change the scent profiles on certain fragrances (in a negative way) I have discovered.

So I add the menthol crystals to my Witch Hazel itself and then follow up with an alcohol splash. This way I still get the cooling sensation but it does not interfere with the scent profile. This morning I did that and then used Stirling Bay Rum. It was an extreme effect, first the cool of the menthol and then the burn from the Bay Rum.

I ordered a 1 oz bag from eBay for 5 bucks shipped. The 1 oz should last 3 years (I add it to my Witch Hazel tonic which is my first splash followed by normal aftershave). Be careful with adding menthol crystals to your bottle of aftershave itself. It can change the scent profiles on certain fragrances (in a negative way) I have discovered.

So I add the menthol crystals to my Witch Hazel itself and then follow up with an alcohol splash. This way I still get the cooling sensation but it does not interfere with the scent profile. This morning I did that and then used Stirling Bay Rum. It was an extreme effect, first the cool of the menthol and then the burn from the Bay Rum.

Firstly, thank you @Neffarious for the hookup!

@Vineeze , Please share your educational moments with me...what aftershaves have you been able to ruin by way of crystal additives?

I might get some Florida Water to play with.

I have not seen anyone posting up about Dollar Spice + Osage Rub + crystals...?

I've been doing it in small, small doses. If you are adding crystals don't bother with the Osage. Osage messes with scents wore than crystals. My Cold Spice blend is Dollar Spice, P&G Old Spice, Alum, Witch Hazel and Glycerin. It's fantastic.

I've powered up my Aqua Velva, i've added to Addidas Cool Wave (actually making it cool), Masters champagne or Topaz, cant remember which, and the aforementioned Cold Spice. Just do a little at a time. You can add it to skin bracer a well and I hear it works well. Sweet smells tend to lend to mint better. I wouldn't add it to a clubman reserve or the like.

Top Bottom