What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

It immediately clouded/turned opaque, which is what alcohol does when it hits water
I'm sure you know this, and not that it matters one way or another, but if anyone is curious, that cloudiness will go away, eventually. I did some experiments with diluting Aqua Velva with Witch hazel. Instant blue cloudiness. It took a full 2 months for it to become clear. Again, this is just cosmetic and doesn't matter to the application, but in case anyone mixes anything and puts it in a clear bottle, just give it time and it will clear up.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm sure you know this, and not that it matters one way or another, but if anyone is curious, that cloudiness will go away, eventually. I did some experiments with diluting Aqua Velva with Witch hazel. Instant blue cloudiness. It took a full 2 months for it to become clear. Again, this is just cosmetic and doesn't matter to the application, but in case anyone mixes anything and puts it in a clear bottle, just give it time and it will clear up.

I did NOT know; thanks, KJ.

I have been experimenting off and on with essential oils; I do have oakmoss and treemoss EOs ... and I was thinking I needed Everclear or something to dissolve them (sublimate?) without cloudiness.

Just thought it was neat to slap on an aftershave I didn't have yesterday! And Tabac rules as always.

AA

Irked by my lack of Tabac aftershave, I decanted some 4-oz. witch hazel, added 25 drops of glycerin, and about 3/4-oz. Tabac EdC.

It immediately clouded/turned opaque, which is what alcohol does when it hits water ... but I used the stuff today: indeed I do have Tabac aftershave ... now.

Might tweak it with a few drops of castor oil.

AA
25 drops glycerin seems like a ton for only 4.75oz aftershave. I usually only add about 15 to full bottles of clubman. You dont find it too sticky with that much glycerin?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
25 drops glycerin seems like a ton for only 4.75oz aftershave. I usually only add about 15 to full bottles of clubman. You don't find it too sticky with that much glycerin?

No! Just noticeable. I saw where someone put a spoonful; that might be. And you're right; every Clubman product - every alcohol-only aftershave - needs this, IMO.

Bottle of glycerin and bottle of castor oil should be in ever shave den. Uberlather on tap as well, then.

AA

EDIT: actually, I'm not sure how large that "4.75 oz" bottle actually is- it may well hold more than that. It's a decorative bottle without markings. Maybe 3"x3"4".

No! Just noticeable. I saw where someone put a spoonful; that might be. And you're right; every Clubman product - every alcohol-only aftershave - needs this, IMO.

Bottle of glycerin and bottle of castor oil should be in ever shave den. Uberlather on tap as well, then.

AA

EDIT: actually, I'm not sure how large that "4.75 oz" bottle actually is- it may well hold more than that. It's a decorative bottle without markings. Maybe 3"x3"4".
Whatever works for you. I have to ask whats the benefit of castor oil? I havent heard of alot of people talking about it in shaving. I thought it was an old timey laxative.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It is. Hydrogenated (or some variation) CO is used in a few aftershaves as a moisturizer agent. I'm not a chemist but the stuff only costs $2-3 at WM.

AA

It is. Hydrogenated (or some variation) CO is used in a few aftershaves as a moisturizer agent. I'm not a chemist but the stuff only costs $2-3 at WM.

AA
agree, glycerin and castor oil are both staples in my den. and yes, you can use castor oil as a stimulant laxative.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
KJ:
I happen to like all three (Clubman Reserve; Gent's Gin, Whiskey Woods & Brandy Spice), so much, I mix equal amounts (2oz each), together for a different 'spin' that highlights all the AS's very nicely (haven't 'got-it-down-pat' yet to the scent bass notes, floras, etc...). :thumbsup:

clubman-reserve-aftershave_2048x2048-jpg.857635

Image courtesy of member Littlemax (a.k.a. Pat).

BTW, I will certainly 'decant' (glass), these and make them as part of my den (will purchase the 6oz bottles when my supply of vintage Pinaud runs out [which will be this weekend]).
shave-den-11-jpg.786811

pinuad-logo-jpg.835297
"Shaving with style and tradition since 1810”. Pinaud Slogan

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is one of the most useful threads we have ... most can't make soaps - rather, I can't - but blending aftershaves into something even better, we all can.

AA

2 cups of Witch Hazel
4 tbs Aloe Vera
1 tbs glycerin
2 tbs Jamaican Rum
essential oils:
30 drops of sandalwood
10 drops of bay rum
10 drops of tangerine
10 drops of cinnamon

I have a bottle of witch hazel that I have doctored with some Clubman Pinaud. I reach for it often.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
2 cups of Witch Hazel
4 tbs Aloe Vera
1 tbs glycerin
2 tbs Jamaican Rum
essential oils:
30 drops of sandalwood
10 drops of bay rum
10 drops of tangerine
10 drops of cinnamon

Needs a name! Sabin's Sandalwood? Doc's Island Ease?

AA

Did a hand mix today of Clubman Special Reserve and Avon Oland. Was thinking both had a smokey note - maybe they'd make a good pair? Smelled really nice.

Haven't figured out the mix yet but I'm guessing it had a tad bit more of the Avon, perhaps 60/40. I'll make a small batch later this week with exact measurements and let you all know.

Did a hand mix today of Clubman Special Reserve and Avon Oland. Was thinking both had a smokey note - maybe they'd make a good pair? Smelled really nice.

Haven't figured out the mix yet but I'm guessing it had a tad bit more of the Avon, perhaps 60/40. I'll make a small batch later this week with exact measurements and let you all know.
That sounds good but SR is so powerful, I would think it might be an even stronger Oland ratio.

That sounds good but SR is so powerful, I would think it might be an even stronger Oland ratio.

Yeah, did some more ratio mixing today. Slapped on some Oland, then spritzed on some of my earlier mix on top of that. Smelled better. Will mix up some more - maybe 2 parts Oland, one part SR. Let it sit a few days and retry.

Although I'd like to use the blend as a way to stretch out my supply of Oland, as it's not made anymore.

Yeah, did some more ratio mixing today. Slapped on some Oland, then spritzed on some of my earlier mix on top of that. Smelled better. Will mix up some more - maybe 2 parts Oland, one part SR. Let it sit a few days and retry.

Although I'd like to use the blend as a way to stretch out my supply of Oland, as it's not made anymore.

I just did plain ol' SR yesterday for the first time in a few months, forgot how much I like it.. Pinaud products have a completely different vibe to me from Avon in general. Sounds interesting, I may try it just to see..

OK, nose tested the 66/33 Oland/SR blend. The lessening of the SR really killed the longevity compared to the previous mix, and the increase of Oland didn't really help it's part. So, the "sweet spot" must lie between 66/33 and 60/40. I gonna called it 65/35 and just get on with life smelling great!

I'm leaning towards calling it "Smokey the Bear" - unless that infringes on a trademark and is not allowed. If so, "Bare Smoke" will be the default.

Last edited:
Top Bottom