What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

I have some aftershaves that I like but leave the surface of my face feeling tacky afterwards. Is there anything I can do to circumvent this?

Care to name any names? Could excess glycerin be a culprit?

Upping the proof seems like a possibility. For my skin, I typically use straight ethanol (y'know, Everclear) when I want more alky in a blend, rather than isopropyl (90 or 99% can be found). I save the rubbing alcohol for drying and disinfecting purposes.

Care to name any names? Could excess glycerin be a culprit?

Upping the proof seems like a possibility. For my skin, I typically use straight ethanol (y'know, Everclear) when I want more alky in a blend, rather than isopropyl (90 or 99% can be found). I save the rubbing alcohol for drying and disinfecting purposes.
Mostly they come from smaller Artisans. Here’s one I love, but the tackiness of my skin turns me off.
B9F3E31D-E720-4DF1-966F-CEF1E2FF1437.jpeg
AE904091-ECEF-45B0-9AA3-6D300BD6BF2D.jpeg

Mostly they come from smaller Artisans. Here’s one I love, but the tackiness of my skin turns me off.
View attachment 1280198View attachment 1280199

Glycerin number two on the list. Olive oil!

Little ol' artisan me, I would back down the glycerin and remove the olives. I'm not sure ethanol would do much to counteract olive oil, might be better just to have a short snort of Laphroaig to dull the sensation and add a peaty note to your aura.

If you don't 'shake well', maybe the olive oil would float to the top and you could pour some off. Might take some of the essential oils with it, though. Pesky olives! I pick 'em off my pizza.

Glycerin number two on the list. Olive oil!

Little ol' artisan me, I would back down the glycerin and remove the olives. I'm not sure ethanol would do much to counteract olive oil, might be better just to have a short snort of Laphroaig to dull the sensation and add a peaty note to your aura.

If you don't 'shake well', maybe the olive oil would float to the top and you could pour some off. Might take some of the essential oils with it, though. Pesky olives! I pick 'em off my pizza.
Now that you mention it, I think it must be the olive oil. Like I said, the ones that leave me tacky are usually from small artisans that are trying to be natural and healthy. I’m pretty sure olive oil is the common denominator ingredient. Perhaps its better for people with really dry flakey skin.

Great idea! Great name!

I will follow this promising new lead. Lacking Avon Island Lime (AIL) I probably use some Booster Iced Lime (BIL) in that spot.
Alphabetically close. :punk:

Definitive testing may require a return to warmer weather in the presently cool and rainy Pacific Northwest. But I'll get it on my face today - haven't shaved yet.

To the laboratory! :badger:
No kidding! This seems to be the coldest June in the Portland metropolitan area to my recollection in the 10 years I've lived here!

1697591805103.jpeg

This was my big buy of mixers back in 2020. I do use a lot of blends.

My big two are 4Rum BB - equal parts of 5he four bay rums on the left.

My most frequent tipple is Richard's Rub - equal parts of standard Dickinson's Witch Hazel and Osage Rub. Not every day, but a few times every week.

View attachment 1734363

This was my big buy of mixers back in 2020. I do use a lot of blends.

My big two are 4Rum BB - equal parts of 5he four bay rums on the left.

My most frequent tipple is Richard's Rub - equal parts of standard Dickinson's Witch Hazel and Osage Rub. Not every day, but a few times every week.

I kind of keep an ever-changing blend of bayrum going at my place. Whatever BR I've purchased lately gets added to the mixture.

One of the consequences of getting older - I forget where things are! I posted a formula to the Bootlegger's Brigands forum, thinking it was the place to post new mixes. Apologies to @OkieStubble for the thread-crap!

I've been using this mix for over two months, and I like it better every day:

1 12.5 oz Pinaud Citrus Musk
1 4 oz Brut
1 3.5 oz AV Musk

All mixed into a glass quart jar, and poured into my Cholula bottle as needed.

1701692624349.png
1701692667018.png
1701692703550.png

1701693138384.png

I am calling it 'Frut'.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
One of the consequences of getting older - I forget where things are! I posted a formula to the Bootlegger's Brigands forum, thinking it was the place to post new mixes. Apologies to @OkieStubble for the thread-crap!

1 4 oz Brut
1 3.5 oz AV Musk

View attachment 1758625View attachment 1758626View attachment 1758627

View attachment 1758629

I am calling it 'Frut'.

No worries my friend! :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

1 4 oz Brut
1 3.5 oz AV Musk

View attachment 1758625View attachment 1758626View attachment 1758627

View attachment 1758629

I am calling it 'Frut'.
This sounds like it should smell really good my friend!

Okay, I knew I couldn't be the only person doing this!
So my mixture whic I'm calling Badger Blend SensitiveCool Hydation is made of equal parts of the following:

Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Nivea Maximum Hydration Moisturizing Post Shave Balm
Nivea Sensitive Cool Post Shave Balm

I mix it all together in a mixing cup and then use a funnel to put it into the original bottles.

I find this works really well for my skin after shaving.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have developed a new must have aftershave that I must share with you. It contains a mixture of cat pee, eau de skunk, and swampwater, fermented over a heating grate for a month or two. It is designed to be a more palatable, appealing version of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

I picked up a few aftershaves from Williamsport Bowman Barber supply including some Lustray Blue Spice and Stephan lilac. The blue spice is pretty good on its own but not a fan of the lilac. I decided to mix equal amounts of the two together and it turned out really well. Thinking about calling it blue lilac spice

I picked up a few aftershaves from Williamsport Bowman Barber supply including some Lustray Blue Spice and Stephan lilac. The blue spice is pretty good on its own but not a fan of the lilac. I decided to mix equal amounts of the two together and it turned out really well. Thinking about calling it blue lilac spice
Blue Spice is a winner that doesn't get enough attention in this forum.

Top Bottom