What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Cryovelva

1 part Cryogen to 2 parts Spanish Aqua Velva.
I just bought a bottle of RR Essential Oil of Lime and Snakebite so stay tuned.

@Tanuki I think the 3:1 ratio is a golden ratio for me. This morning, in honor of Clubman Fridays, I started with 1:1, then 2:1, and finally 3:1 mixes of Osage and Clubman; low and behold, the 3:1 mix was a sweet spot. Mellowed out the Clubman nicely with a great burst of menthol. Might try 4:1 at some point before mixing a full bottle together.

@Tanuki I think the 3:1 ratio is a golden ratio for me. This morning, in honor of Clubman Fridays, I started with 1:1, then 2:1, and finally 3:1 mixes of Osage and Clubman; low and behold, the 3:1 mix was a sweet spot. Mellowed out the Clubman nicely with a great burst of menthol. Might try 4:1 at some point before mixing a full bottle together.

3:1, it just has a ring to it. And the AV Osage seems just right, especially when it gets hot here.

Full bottles, yikes! I have been mixing small samples. The idea of even 4 ounces of anything seems pretty daunting. My start in mixing involved those 50ml liquor bottles. You know, have a short snort, then mix up an ethanol based witch hazel and menthol enhanced attempt to smell like I just stumbled out of a bar. I haven’t even finished one of those mixes off.

I can’t say that I’m entirely new to AS, but my wife gave me my first bottle of VIBR over 25 years ago and I still have some left. Slow learner, can’t take a hint, something...

So I am going to give a test run to Club Osage. 3:1!

Next part of my junior chemist set arrived!
42BC0B68-561A-4B82-8018-5F8038D6496D.jpeg

1oz bottles, 1ml graduated dropper. First stop, Club Osage.

@Tanuki I currently use clear 5 oz "hot sauce" bottles purchased years ago from Amazon, originally for housing simple syrup for cocktails, now repurposed for AS splash combinations. I like the look of those brown bottles - similar to what I used to swap bourbon samples.

@Tanuki I currently use clear 5 oz "hot sauce" bottles purchased years ago from Amazon, originally for housing simple syrup for cocktails, now repurposed for AS splash combinations. I like the look of those brown bottles - similar to what I used to swap bourbon samples.

After I try some blending I may find that certain someting something that makes me want 5 ounces. But I'm just getting started.

Today's mixes:

Rum Runner's a la @SteveWY (equal parts Master, Stephan, Pinaud VIBR)

4RUM BB a four way equal blend of barbershop Bay Rum, with Gabel's added to the Rum Runner's list.

So I now have 5 Bay Rums (also Captain's Choice) and three blends in inventory (the two above and 1:1 VIBR:Captain's Choice). Let's see if I can manage to rank them somehow.

Next steps (diving into the deep end):
A) drugstore classic ASLs and dollar store knockoffs pumped up with Osage Rub
B) citrus/lime ASLs pumped with M&L Florida Water

And menthol crystals wherever...

New in the den:

Richard's Rub - equal parts Dickinson's witch hazel toner (water base) and Osage Rub

The name is a tribute to my ski buddy Richard, who was known as Dick until his wife put the kibosh on that.

The toner tones down the alcoholic kick of the Rub. The Rub nearly wipes out the rose scent of my bottle of the toner. The rose scent doesn't stick around long, but it annoys me nonetheless.
D89FBBC0-DD78-493D-84A7-D28D5C87657A.jpeg

It might get less milky as time goes by...

F1EFF498-F2FF-43BC-8600-B872D1C89E36.jpeg

L-R:
FloriLIced - Florida Water:Booster Iced Lime 1:1

FloriLDrops - Florida Water:Gabels Drops of Lime 1:1

FloriLSec - Florida Water:pinaud Lime Sec 1:1

First impression: the idea is solid, but more lime, less FW.

I might adjust these 10ml testers to 1:2 right away. One or two of the tester bottles might be big enough to shift to the @fightingillini22 patented 3:1 ratio, with Florida Water taking the Osage Rub minor role.

I need help naming this one. This is a blend I have been using more for the healing properties, and less for the scent. Although I do enjoy the scent which ends up being like a spicier La Toja. I used Lavender Thayers in my blend, but I could never suss out a scent from it anyway, so I don't think it matters.

3 parts La Toja
2 parts Speick
1 part Thayers Witch Hazel Toner

It leaves my skin feeling great afterward.

I need help naming this one. This is a blend I have been using more for the healing properties, and less for the scent. Although I do enjoy the scent which ends up being like a spicier La Toja. I used Lavender Thayers in my blend, but I could never suss out a scent from it anyway, so I don't think it matters.

3 parts La Toja
2 parts Speick

Spicier? Healing? La Speice Rx

3 parts La Toja
2 parts Speick

La Spayers

The rose note of Oleo Rougere came across too strong for me- almost feminine, so I wanted to make it "greener". I settled on:

Rosenbaum
1 part Oleo Rougere
2 parts Avon Deep Woods

For more of a Spring scent, switch the ratio for:
Rosa Verde

Top Bottom