What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Bay Sport:

1 Part Aqua Velva Ice Sport
1 Part Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum

I mixed this up to try and get a more nautical smell and I feel it worked pretty well for that.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Aproxo
1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum
1 Part: Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Tobacco

This was my attempt to create Bootlegger’s Perfecto Virginia. Since Vito's Colonia Tobacco has become unobtainium, I had to substitute, and so I mixed up a batch using Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Tobacco, an inexpensive ‘cologne’ popular in Latin culture. OkieStubble generously sent me a sample of genuine Perfecto Virginia so I am able to compare. Where Perfecto has a citrus note, Aproxo is more of a musk and patchouli note, but still letting the bay rums shine through. I’ve considered adding a source of citrus aroma (Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic, Pinaud Eau de Portugal, Agustin Reyes Agua de Portugal) to see what happens, but for now, I’m happy with Aproxo.

The Crusellas tobacco is more of a "cigarette note" in my opinion, but I would like to see what the mix smells like with some orange? I think the Eau de Portugal sounds like a good idea. :)

Okay, Here is mine and a label I made for it.

Badger Blends:
Emerald Spice
1 part Skin Bracer
1 part Aqua Velva Ice Blue
1 part Aqua Velva Ice Sport
1 part Old Spice (the modern easily obtained stuff)

It's a wonderful scent that's not overwhelming, you can smell it on yourself but others will have to be standing right next to you to smell it, it also has some staying power, possibly a great year round scent, and it's a lovely blue green color if appearances is important.
$Emerald Spice.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great! I'll be trying Emerald Spice after I test out Bay Sport!

Nice job on the label too!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There will be more! In addition to Kolonia 1800 Tobacco, I’ve also got quantities of Crusellas Kolonia 1800 Natural, Sandalo, Vetiver, and Rosa. I’ve been meaning to go all mad scientist with them and this project will be the driving force. Crusellas Kolonia, at less than 50 cents per ounce, is perfect for creating blends of inexpensive aftershaves.

Nice! After my trip to Miami, I snagged about 4-5 of them ... Kolonia 2000, Agua de Violeta, the patchouli one, the fake Florida Water ... "Destroy Everything," ... it didn't even occur to me to crossbreed these Cuban powerhouse scents with the Pinaud products.

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. I'm in no hurry; have to use up the Lime Veg in order to make room at the aftershave bar ...

AA

Bay Sport:

1 Part Aqua Velva Ice Sport
1 Part Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum

I mixed this up to try and get a more nautical smell and I feel it worked pretty well for that.

I tried it this morning. The initial smell was great. The Sport, did kind of give the mix a bit of scent of the sea. But the sport did nothing to tame the burn of the VIBR, like the Bootleggers recipe does. And the two didn't really blend. They remained separate scents, as if they were just layered on top of each other. The Sport burned off in 5 minutes and I was just left with the VIBR. So in the end, not something I will be using on a regular basis, but I may return to it, from time to time. Possibly if it sits longer, they will blend a bit better. But I do love the "Outside the Box" thinking. Keep it up!

I mixed up a batch this morning for use tomorrow. Mine ended up being the exact same color as the Ice Sport. Not really green at all.

That's odd. I know it comes very close to the ice sport plastic bottle color, but the liquid, at least in mine is a light blue color.Here is a picture comparing the colors of Emerald Spice to the other aftershaves. From left to right is Skin Bracer, Emerald Spice, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, and Aqua Velva Ice Sport. Didn't have Old Spice currently recanted in a Tobasco bottle, but it's a whitelish color. These are the 2oz Tobasco bottles incase anyone was curious.
$2016-02-22 09.51.00.jpg

That's odd. I know it comes very close to the ice sport plastic bottle color, but the liquid, at least in mine is a light blue color.

Here's my blend compared to Ice Sport. It's got just a hint of green. I needed the white background to see it.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456194405.446153.jpg

I see that you're using vintage compared to the modern I'm using. I wonder if that'll affect the scent of the finished blend.
I used vintage SB too. But I didn't really consider a scent difference, because to my nose there is no difference between vintage and modern SB or IS. But that could account for the color difference.

Used it this morning. Not sure what to think about it, interesting for sure. When they all mix together, it has a very generic cologne kind of vibe going on. And what's left on my face an hour after apply, is a lot different than what I smelled this morning. Nothing bad about it, just a bit weird to my nose.

After wearing Emerald Spice for a few hours now, I have to say I do like the subtle scent that is left on my face at mid-day. I doubt it still has any projection left, but overall it's pretty nice.

Badger Blends: Bay Spice

1 part VIBR
1 part Family Dollar (Vi-Jon) Spice

I really like the combo of this and just splashed it on again. Good face feel and I like the scent. I did not see it on the list, perhaps it is already a known combo, but I will be wearing this quite a bit. Will have to try it with Avon Spicy and call it Vintage Bay Spice...

Last edited:
This was posted before by someone else: one part Amber Floid and one part Old Spice. They blend well together and the Old spice gives it some staying power. I use it frequently.

Well KJ...you have outdone yourself again! This is a great thread and with the amount of participation it already has, I see this maybe becoming a sub-forum! Now...I'm off of work today because I'm not feeling well. This gives me the perfect excuse to go to the drug stores and pick up a bottle of every single AS I don't already own. :w00t:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Liking the Bay Spice idea ... re: this and Daniel Hall's Aproxo, I wonder what would happen if a little Tabac EdC was added to Superior 70 or Master Bay Rum? (both en route to make, with VIBR, Bootleggers Bay Rum). Tobacco Spice, as it were.

AA

Top Bottom