What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

I'm down 14 lbs since 3/11. So far I've been using the calories in/calories out method. I haven't restricted myself from any foods, I just watch the total caloric intake for the day. The phone app which tracks what I've been eating has been invaluable and tracking what I eat has been a real eye-opener. Before this whole process I would eat lunches that would cover about 75% of my daily calories and I would be eating a breakfast, dinner and multiple snacks on top of that! (+pop/soda!) Yesterday I had a Reeses peanut butter egg and noted that it was 170 calories. It was still within my budget but I stopped and asked myself, "Do I really want to eat this?" Before it wouldn't be unusual for me to eat 2 or 3 in a day just as a snack. I've also found that I haven't been "boredom eating" since having to be more conscious of my food intake. It's been going smoothly so far. I don't feel like I'm being deprived of anything, I don't feel starved and I've been drinking a lot more water. I don't see much difference visually but the jeans waistband is a bit less taut and more comfortable. :lemo:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So far I've been using the calories in/calories out method. I haven't restricted myself from any foods, I just watch the total caloric intake for the day.

Far too much of the "expert information" I see out there in the "diet and weight loss" world is far too focused on the "right answer" being on one side or the other of that issue. Far too often the "calories in calories out" guys (and I do not include the poster above in this critique) give us the "expert advice" that it doesn't matter what you eat, just how much, for weight loss. And the experts on the other side tend to give us the "expert advice" that if you eat the "right food" you can eat as much as you want and will lose weight.

IMHO you gotta do both. "Doing keto" is no excuse to eat nothing but lettuce-wrapped bacon-double cheeseburgers ... you have to eat good healthy food to get those vitamins and minerals &c. And eating just 1500 calories of doughnuts every day isn't a healthy diet either.

I'm not going to make this a pitch for any particular diet ... keto, paleo, carinvore, vegitarian, &c., &c., ... but I will make it a plea for everyone to be sure they figure out what it means to "eat healthy" ... and do so.

Far too much of the "expert information" I see out there in the "diet and weight loss" world is far too focused on the "right answer" being on one side or the other of that issue. Far too often the "calories in calories out" guys (and I do not include the poster above in this critique) give us the "expert advice" that it doesn't matter what you eat, just how much, for weight loss. And the experts on the other side tend to give us the "expert advice" that if you eat the "right food" you can eat as much as you want and will lose weight.

IMHO you gotta do both. "Doing keto" is no excuse to eat nothing but lettuce-wrapped bacon-double cheeseburgers ... you have to eat good healthy food to get those vitamins and minerals &c. And eating just 1500 calories of doughnuts every day isn't a healthy diet either.

I'm not going to make this a pitch for any particular diet ... keto, paleo, carinvore, vegitarian, &c., &c., ... but I will make it a plea for everyone to be sure they figure out what it means to "eat healthy" ... and do so.

I can't say I disagree with any of that. For me, calories in/calories out was just a place to start and it's working well for me so far although I'm still in the front end of this journey where the weight loss is "easy/easier". I've stuck with it for just over 4 weeks now and that is a great sign. If I came out of the blocks just eating salads, lettuce wraps and steamed vegetables I'd have probably been done within a matter of days. I'll admit I'm eating some stuff that would appear on a lot of forbidden lists but I found that I'm eating a smaller portion of them and that I'm gravitating toward smarter choices. My goal is to gradually increase my smarter choices without torturing and depriving myself of everything. Before I was drinking pop/soda (16-20+oz) almost daily. Now I've gotten myself down to one a week or every other week. I'm trying to think of it more as a treat rather than a default option. One thing I've noticed is that it tastes so much better and I appreciate it so much more when I only have one a week or every other week. I've probably had more fruit and vegetables in the last month than I've had in the prior six months combined. Calories in/calories out has made me a lot more conscious of what I'm eating and I hope to evolve that into a greater consciousness of the nutritional side. It's a process and I'm really happy that I've been able to stick with it so far.

Trying not to put on the Covid-20 but my resistance isn't going that well. Really need to turn it around.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For me, calories in/calories out was just a place to start and it's working well for me so far

good!

I'll admit I'm eating some stuff that would appear on a lot of forbidden lists but I found that I'm eating a smaller portion of them and that I'm gravitating toward smarter choices.

Funny thing, one man's forbidden list is another man's list of smarter choices. There's a lot of conflicting opinion "evidence" out there.

My own personal preference is to opt for a "healthy keto" diet and intermittent fasting. Here's a short video to get you started there if you are interested.

Of course, that's just my way ... not "THE Way" ... so if your research takes you in a different direction, that's your choice.

Before I was drinking pop/soda (16-20+oz) almost daily. Now I've gotten myself down to one a week or every other week.

Good ... this is often a good place to start, and helps with getting results right off the bat. (IMHO switching to diet soda isn't a good idea as the artificial sweeteners do other bad things to you.)

Calories in/calories out has made me a lot more conscious of what I'm eating and I hope to evolve that into a greater consciousness of the nutritional side.

Great!

2 1/2 weeks into my diet.
Start weight 72.4kg today 69.7 so almost 7 lbs lost.
I have a young family so no time to exercise and I like to unwind with a few scotches of an evening. The weight was steadily piling on so the only way to lose it was to cut down on my calories and change how I eat.
I now typically drink 2 cups of tea a day for 90 cal, a slice of melon or a few berries for breakfast at about 10 cal, a light simple sandwich for dinner at 300 cal, a not too heavy evening meal for about 400 cal. Typically about 800 cal from food then around 400 cal from 3-4 scotches for around 11-1200 daily calories. I never cheat and I log everything I eat and drink in my phone . It’s hard not eating ice cream with my family and full English breakfasts and the odd chocolate biscuit but day by day I get more used to it.

2 1/2 weeks into my diet.
Start weight 72.4kg today 69.7 so almost 7 lbs lost.
I have a young family so no time to exercise and I like to unwind with a few scotches of an evening. The weight was steadily piling on so the only way to lose it was to cut down on my calories and change how I eat.
I now typically drink 2 cups of tea a day for 90 cal, a slice of melon or a few berries for breakfast at about 10 cal, a light simple sandwich for dinner at 300 cal, a not too heavy evening meal for about 400 cal. Typically about 800 cal from food then around 400 cal from 3-4 scotches for around 11-1200 daily calories. I never cheat and I log everything I eat and drink in my phone . It’s hard not eating ice cream with my family and full English breakfasts and the odd chocolate biscuit but day by day I get more used to it.

You can still do those things and I think it's silly to think that most would adhere to any eating regimen for the long term if they couldn't still have the foods they love. Strike a balance with the 'off' foods, the 90/10 rule is a great one; 90% of your calories are good, wholesome, healthy foods and 10% are what you please. Even an 80/20 is still a better approach compared to what most were doing before.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like to unwind with a few scotches of an evening. The weight was steadily piling on so ...

I'm a fan of a glass of wine with dinner and a glass of scotch in the evening.

However, I know that it has negative effects on me, so I limit myself to one night a week.

I never cheat and I log everything I eat and drink in my phone . It’s hard not eating ice cream with my family and full English breakfasts and the odd chocolate biscuit but day by day I get more used to it.

You are what you eat.

Putting good things in your body will have good results; and bad, bad. I am encouraged that you have the discipline to not cheat on your diet. Yes, you will regret not being able to indulge in the "bad things that taste good". My own experience with getting into proper diet went down the keto road ... at first it was hard not having doughnuts and cake and such (these are often seen around the office for general consumption or to celebrate birthdays). But now, I find myself less drawn to that kind of food; fortunately, there are lots of tasty foods that my diet does allow me.

I'm down 14 lbs since 3/11. So far I've been using the calories in/calories out method. I haven't restricted myself from any foods, I just watch the total caloric intake for the day. The phone app which tracks what I've been eating has been invaluable and tracking what I eat has been a real eye-opener. Before this whole process I would eat lunches that would cover about 75% of my daily calories and I would be eating a breakfast, dinner and multiple snacks on top of that! (+pop/soda!) Yesterday I had a Reeses peanut butter egg and noted that it was 170 calories. It was still within my budget but I stopped and asked myself, "Do I really want to eat this?" Before it wouldn't be unusual for me to eat 2 or 3 in a day just as a snack. I've also found that I haven't been "boredom eating" since having to be more conscious of my food intake. It's been going smoothly so far. I don't feel like I'm being deprived of anything, I don't feel starved and I've been drinking a lot more water. I don't see much difference visually but the jeans waistband is a bit less taut and more comfortable. :lemo:

CONGRATULATIONS!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Finally broke through to Onederland today-199. I'm very pleased.

Congratulations! It's got to feel great hitting those big milestones. I'd love to be able to break the 200 mark by the end of the year. My initial goal was to lose 60 pounds by the end of the year but when my wife set up my food tracking program on my phone, she thought she was setting it up to hit that goal by year's end but it was actually set so I hit that goal in September! That would put me at 208 and would give me 3 months to lose 9(+) lbs.

Great work!! :clap: :clap:

Thank you! Tomorrow will be 2 months since I started. I'm now down a total of 23 lbs which puts me a bit ahead of the 2 lbs/week average most plans recommend for long term weight loss. It hasn't been too tough so far but I see with the weight loss that my calorie budget has gotten smaller. I can see that it's going to get tougher as I lose more weight.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hello Friends,

I thought that this would be a good way to journal, support, and have accountability for our weight loss goals. I'll start.

Beginning Weight in April: 245
Weight this morning: 225.5
Goal Weight: 205 by end of 2019

Loosely intermittent fasting, and tracking in myfitnesspal sometimes. I am going to make a more dedicated effort to tracking in myfitnesspal.
I’m Keto and have lost 80 pounds over the past year.

195 as of yesterday. This is the first time I've been able tools weight without following a program (usually WW). I find that very encouraging. I know that if it gets to difficult I can fall back on the structure of a program for additional support.

I’m down 11 since the start of the pandemic.

Which I think is impressive considering my wife is making cupcakes, cookies, homemade biscuits, and cakes like every other day and buying bagels every time she goes to the store

Top Bottom