What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

Yes, the calories can get away from you when you decide it's a 'free' day. For some, having those extra calories, depending on what they are, will definitely inhibit their goals down the road and they really need to cut them out almost completely.

Most people don't wanna hear that, though. They think they can go right back to eating the way they were before they lost all the weight. Sorry, I'm ranting about nothing, this isn't directed at you!

Cyclical dieting does work, and for those purposes, I recommend the readings of Lyle McDonald. Perhaps the rudest person on the internet, but also one of the brightest minds in the health and fitness industry. The Guide to Flexible Dieting comes to mind; its basically a way of sticking to your diet for several days a week, but making room for life, as it were.

Thank you for the recommended reading. I will definitely look into it. I think I do need to rein in my weekend calories and maybe just allow a meal of flexibility instead of a couple of days.

I don't know if you have family who lives with you or not, makes it much harder if they do, but I've found the best way for me to stay strict with IF is by buying only the food I need at the grocery store every day. If I'm having steak and eggs with sautéed vegans, I'll go to the store that night right after work and buy only that. That way, I don't have a bunch of junk food just sitting in the house waiting to be eaten.

That's a good idea. I'm pretty good at being strict throughout the week. It has to be the weekend splurges that are keeping me from losing. Going to play basketball tonight. I'm hoping to make it a more regular activity.

I saw a funny post on facebook. "What can we learn from hippos?"........."That eating salads and greens and swimming and walking to lose weight doesn't work"

Good way for weight loss, and what everyone should be doing for other reasons, like not spiking blood sugar, is doing something like Keto, LCHF, Paleo, works wonders for health, prevent bad stuff from happening, and in most cases, reverse even the worst of conditions, if you know what i mean... :)

Most of what people see as diseases, really isn't, it is merely conditions, something we cause ourselves, and it is in most cases, up to ourselves, to reverse them, and not having to think about big pharma.

Good way for weight loss, and what everyone should be doing for other reasons, like not spiking blood sugar, is doing something like Keto, LCHF, Paleo, works wonders for health, prevent bad stuff from happening, and in most cases, reverse even the worst of conditions, if you know what i mean... :)

Most of what people see as diseases, really isn't, it is merely conditions, something we cause ourselves, and it is in most cases, up to ourselves, to reverse them, and not having to think about big pharma.

I think there's a lot of evidence that is interesting toward the benefits mentions above, but I believe it is still up in the air. I just want to get this out there before someone comes in with something more charged and it ends up in a debate. I believe for me IF is very beneficial and I like to hope I'm receiving the other benefits as well. YMMV but the science is intriguing, to say the least.

It's is quite basic really, it just requires a little logical, that's all :)

What most scientists / doctors / food industry / medical industry / government etc, what they don't want you to hear, and or understand, is the truth, and that is what it is all about in the end.. MONEY, and SUBJECT CONTROL!

Scientists (And the rest) don't get support, if they just become whistleblowers, doctors gets extra pay, by promoting certain medical treatments, although there are alternatives... The food industry makes you sick, then the medical industry tries to keep you alive, and the government, loves all the tax money out of ALL the above... Welcome to the real world :(

On Wednesday, i will celebrate my 20th year since finishing my educations within: Molecular biology, physiology, pathology, etiology, epidemiologi, nutrition & food science... I was expanding it with: Medical biophysics, but i had to drop it, as i was too busy with the rest.

Also got a degree from the International Culnary Center, and have a Ph.d. in Sports Science.

What they tend to call diseases, are merely conditions, and that spreads so wide, like you can't call things like obesity, diabetes, asthma, artheritis, cancer (Yes i said that), PCOS, ADD, heart failure, fatty liver... The list is too long... It just AIN'T diseases! And if you take a grocery store, remove for example Fructose from the whole store, there would be roughly about 20% products left in the store without it, that's how bad it is :( Kids down to 3 - 5 years old, have fatty liver now, something you only saw in alcoholics many years ago, but sugar, does the same crap to the liver as alcohol does, and sadly, in some cases, the liver tries to burn sugar before alcohol, that is how much poisonous it is :( And we are not just talking pure sugar here, starch in a lot of forms, like flours, bread, pasta, etc, as well as things like rice, potatoes, corn, just not things we as humans were ever meant to eat!

Many still holds on to that: "But we need carbs"... Uhmmm no, you don't, get your body to run on ketones instead, and you will perform up to 40% better than you've ever done :) And it ain't FAT that sets in your body as FAT, it is unused CARBS, so turn your body into a FAT burning machine instead, even when you sit still, and enjoy life without all the worries :)

Good luck, i'll be around :)

Many don't realize that conditions like prehypertension, type 2 diabetes and fatty liver are all mostly controllable if not treatable via diet. You're correct that they aren't diseases.

Wish that wasn't the case though, but it sadly is :(

Everyone needs to take better care of themselves, we are not just destroying our planet, we are eating ourselves to death as well, in all sorts of forms imaginable :(

Please be careful, guys and girls!!! I bet a lot of you have kids, even grandkids, be there for them, don't punch out earlier than needed, just because something taste nice :)

Basketball again tonight as well as some 100 push-ups, sit-ups and squats. I also have to take some time to brag about my wife, she lowered her A1C almost a full point through exercise and making better food choices. Together we're working away from the unhealthy lifestyles mentioned above.

That is great!!! :)

Just always remember, no matter how much you workout, it cannot replace good food choices, as it can't be burned off, no matter how much you do! Even house cleaning, ironically burns more calories than going to the gym :p

Working out is good though, as long as it doesn't get the upperhand on you, then it becomes a drag, and you just end up in an annoying form of depression, self-hate / dissapointment!

I will be cheering for you both! :) If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask, and i will answer at my best :)

217 today. Probably a lot of water weight as I played basketball for a lot longer than I anticipated, but still nice to see the numbers going in the right direction.

Bray144k, keep in mind, you don't burn off as much energy as most believe, it is simply because you're eating less or differently :)

You can sit still and lose weight, if you quit the simple carbs, but training is always a good thing, as long as it is not taking the upperhand! Because your body adjusts, and if you then slow down, it will do the same with the metabolism, slowly going into survival-mode, harvesting everything you feed it!

Keep at it!!! :)

P.S Do you have a target goal? Or is it all way in, to get a better life, instead of a compromise?

Bray144k, keep in mind, you don't burn off as much energy as most believe, it is simply because you're eating less or differently :)

You can sit still and lose weight, if you quit the simple carbs, but training is always a good thing, as long as it is not taking the upperhand! Because your body adjusts, and if you then slow down, it will do the same with the metabolism, slowly going into survival-mode, harvesting everything you feed it!

Keep at it!!! :)

P.S Do you have a target goal? Or is it all way in, to get a better life, instead of a compromise?

Mainly I just want to be more healthy. My wife and I both have some concerning things in our blood markers that some lifestyle changes should take care of. My goal weight started at 205 now that I'm starting to get close to that, I would like to get to 190 and just maintain that. If for some reason I continued to lose weight with the current lifestyle changes so be it. Eventually, it'll even out.

Good luck, buddy, it sounds like you're on the right track :)

And yes, with a few changes, your health should definitely change for the better :) If you stear away from simple / fake carbs, it will go faster, and be way better for you, and you'll manage just fine :)

Feel free to throw a message my way, if you have any questions, that i might be able to help you out with :)

One of the main benefits of intermittent fasting became obvious to me here, lately - better digestion. It's been great for my GI track, and even if I do decide to overindulge, I find my body deals with it amazingly well. Obviously I'm not suggesting you should overeat while you IF, but you know what I mean. My workouts also continue to remain extremely productive, so I'm partitioning nutrients very nicely.

Very nice :)

And yes, if you're getting of a high carb typical western diet, to do something more logical, it takes the body some time to adjust to run on ketones for instance, and that can be a couple days, a week, or 4 weeks, or more, it is different for everyone, but once adjusted, you're a fat burning machine, the stuff on the body, the stuff you put in your body, and your energy levels are gonna be 40% better, and you won't get sick, like stupid stuff from a cold to cancer and diabetes :)

Some can get away with 50 grams of Carbs per day, some have to get as low as 20 grams per day... Test it out, and enjoy life without getting weird folk diseases, stay lean, and in top shape, no matter your age :p

221.1 today. Starting to get slightly frustrated that the scale isn't showing any weight loss. Might need to tweak some things to get moving in the right direction agani.

Top Bottom