What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You can in fact have a diet that is at once both meditative AND Mediterranean!

I'd like to formally announce that I am in the ring for permanent weight loss! I have struggled with my weight fluctuating since 2018 when I completed my last (for me) major weight loss. At that time I went from 256 to 223 in four months. Since then, I allowed myself to get out of control and recently topped out at 285. I finally said enough is enough and started making dietary changes that I hope will last the rest of my life. Here is where I am currently at:

6/23/21 - 285 lbs
7/19/21 - 273 lbs
12 lbs lost!

Even though the weight is coming off a little slower this time, I am trying to keep everything I am doing sustainable for the long haul. My initial goal would be to get to 230 and maintain that weight for a period of time. Ideally I should be between 190-200 but I have to think about the long game to get there.

Good luck everyone and I hope this can be another source of accountability on my journey to live healthier!

best of luck :) I think I got to that point of enough is enough and we all get to that internal point of no return

OMAD is a huge thing to look into Jason Fung on youtube has some good info on intermittent fasting might be fun to watch

for me I love meat the carnivore thing worked and is working insane at 57yr old 5'11" and now at 175 lbs learn flat gut ripped never thought I could get this good again ? so for me over 100 lbs lost as I quite weighing myself at 275
been doing it year and half and again no more joint pains no brain fog way better sleep so many things besides weight truly life changing

hope ya find what works but I can say give Keto Carinivore a try if you get stuck or slow to much or still have other health issues ? as I had to try so many things and this is what worked
weight melted off super fast again eating till full every day etc... so never hungry :) and have no issues year and half later of keeping this going for me has been super super easy and not having to count or do anything just eat till super full somedays less some days more

biggest thing I think is just cutting out the processed foods and sugars :)
again best of luck keep it going ! :)

I'd like to formally announce that I am in the ring for permanent weight loss! I have struggled with my weight fluctuating since 2018 when I completed my last (for me) major weight loss. At that time I went from 256 to 223 in four months. Since then, I allowed myself to get out of control and recently topped out at 285. I finally said enough is enough and started making dietary changes that I hope will last the rest of my life. Here is where I am currently at:

6/23/21 - 285 lbs
7/19/21 - 273 lbs
12 lbs lost!

Even though the weight is coming off a little slower this time, I am trying to keep everything I am doing sustainable for the long haul. My initial goal would be to get to 230 and maintain that weight for a period of time. Ideally I should be between 190-200 but I have to think about the long game to get there.

Good luck everyone and I hope this can be another source of accountability on my journey to live healthier!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
best of luck :) I think I got to that point of enough is enough and we all get to that internal point of no return

OMAD is a huge thing to look into Jason Fung on youtube has some good info on intermittent fasting might be fun to watch

for me I love meat the carnivore thing worked and is working insane at 57yr old 5'11" and now at 175 lbs learn flat gut ripped never thought I could get this good again ? so for me over 100 lbs lost as I quite weighing myself at 275
been doing it year and half and again no more joint pains no brain fog way better sleep so many things besides weight truly life changing

hope ya find what works but I can say give Keto Carinivore a try if you get stuck or slow to much or still have other health issues ? as I had to try so many things and this is what worked
weight melted off super fast again eating till full every day etc... so never hungry :) and have no issues year and half later of keeping this going for me has been super super easy and not having to count or do anything just eat till super full somedays less some days more

again best of luck keep it going ! :)
Congrats on the weight loss! Tell me- do you only consume meat products on the carnivore diet or do you eat some vegetables on occasion as well?

Congrats on the weight loss! Tell me- do you only consume meat products on the carnivore diet or do you eat some vegetables on occasion as well?

in quick
NONE :)
last year and half only meat I eat a few nuts but rarely
on occasion a few Keto things with almond flour but truly NO veggies at all and no fruit but a few small blueberries dried in this keto snack I have once in a while like handfull a week kinda thing
I was never into the veggies anyway most my life I have never ate them ! my issue was white rice :) and pastas and the processed carbs
being from Maui I used to eat lots and lots of fresh fish as I fished almost every day for food or hunted and white rice is a staple in the islands along with poi :)

as a start if you are curious for more info
Dr Paul Saladino has some good info on his youtube
Dr Ken Berry has some great info also
Dr Eric Berg also has some good info but feel mixed sometimes about his views ? but that is a personal thing

I do like Dr Shawn Baker dude is huge ripped 54 or so yr old long term carnivore but he is blunt and says what he thinks :) but you see him work out and WOW for his age !
I decided to stay lean and do not want to work out as much as just feel good

I think some who like veggies Keto is a good way but even carnivore with a few veggies one loves for taste texture I reckon could be good :) that Paul Saladino has a lot on why no certain veggies and he prefers some fruit over veggies

I can say 1.5 years in I never feel like I WANT NEED anything so no cravings anymore for sugars or breads had cravings first few months and maybe 6-8 months in I resisted but now I truly do not care or want :)

long winded you can skip if ya want :) as I am passionate about how I feel and wish I had someone kicking me long time ago ! but like the other person above we all have to WANT to change from inside :)

at 43 I had lung issues and had to move off island (volcanic gases got me) and its moving to mainland and no hunting fishing and eating junk that started my decline :) so fast convenient to buy package food that IMHO is not healthy
I do think eating vegan is unhealthy but if someone does not like that or agree:) no worries its just my thoughts hahahaha
over last 5 years or more I tried a LOT
as I tried vegan for a year and destroyed me bad skin bad health etc... no energy and so on
I also tried the small plate (calorie restriction) cant be held up long term !
then tried the mediterranean did not like what I was eating :)
and the blood type diet again I hated having to eat things I did not like
and the paleo thing which kinda worked SO
I then went to keto and it started working but found allergy issues with overload of nuts ! to much almond flour stuff etc...
a buddy of mine same weight tried the carnivore said try it so looked into it AND here I am 1.5 years later and see no reason to stop again can not say how life changing it has been and never ever thought I would be back to better shape same weight as my 20s 30s 40s ! from a 40+ inch stretch pant to 32/34 inch pants and med shirts from a TIGHT XXL and more important I eat till I am bursting full and done as I do love the OMAD if I feel I am hungry for more I just try to eat in a 6 hour or less window over the last 10 months or so at this weight I have not varied more than 5 lbs
as example yesterday I ate 3 burgers and 10 eggs and maybe 5 tablespoons butter
today I did eat pork and eggs and butter
often its 2lb rib I that I cut myself so super thick and try to eat that 4x a week and use 72/28 or 80/20 burger rest of week
I only eat more butter when not eating the red meat to keep the fat content up

and again physical things lean body better skin and looking younger not skinny emaciated look either that sadly I see many trying calorie deficit diets which I think are dangerous but lean the thing that gets me is the super flat no kidney fat gut look I have :) hahahahh I keep saying it cause being older everyone says that is part of getting old and I am going to say NO its not

I tend to eat till very full ! so anywhere from just under a 1lb to 3lbs of meat a day and I do best on fatty red meat so cheap burger as example but I feel best eating rib eye fat and all :)
I do find chicken does nothing for me anymore and sadly I love pork but does little for me lack of nutrients maybe ? so have to supplement that with lots of eggs and butter and then next day rib eyes ! I just miss my island pork :)

You can in fact have a diet that is at once both meditative AND Mediterranean!
I heard it's an iconic diet.

This is the key. You don't have to stop eating a bunch of stuff that you love. Cut out sugars, processed foods and fried foods - you'll get so many benefits! Even if you cut out just one of those things and replace it with water, you'll feel better (and lighter).

Right now, I've gotten back onto sugar, but I'm determined to cut it out. This will help with my weight management, my joints and flexibility, my sleep and a bunch more.

Weigh in day is coming up on Monday and I just realized I have not reported in for a couple of weeks. Last Monday I weighed in at 221.8 pounds for a total net loss of 65.7 pounds. The best part is I received the results of my quarterly blood test. My A1C dropped from 6.3 to 4.6 and my total cholesterol was 77, triglycerides 77, LDL 25, HDL 37.

It took 8 months. Wore out two pairs of hiking shoes doing a daily 3.5 mile hike. Eating mostly vegetarian. I reached my goal of losing 20 pounds. I could lose another 5-10 and it will probably lose it because I feel good and I’m sticking to my routine. To reward myself I’m going shopping for a new pair of shoes!
41E3BCFB-8971-4224-A048-8892069BA029.jpeg

It took 8 months. Wore out two pairs of hiking shoes doing a daily 3.5 mile hike. Eating mostly vegetarian. I reached my goal of losing 20 pounds. I could lose another 5-10 and it will probably lose it because I feel good and I’m sticking to my routine. To reward myself I’m going shopping for a new pair of shoes!
View attachment 1317467
Congratulations! It’s important to reward yourself.

I’ve neglected my postings of late. I’ve continued to lose about 2 to 2.5 pounds each week. Some weeks I lose a little, some weeks I lose a lot. But all told, I’ve lost from 287.5 on January 13, 2021 to 214.2 on Monday, August 23, 2021. My goal weight is 180 pounds and I hope to be there before the middle of November.

First time posting in this thread, but I decided a month ago that I would get back in shape and stay there. I weighed in at 216 pounds at my last visit to the doctor, and I was told my cholesterol was too high. I started using the Lose It! app on my phone, got a smart watch to monitor health stats, and started running again. I feel amazing, and I have dropped down to 198 pounds as of this morning. I want to get to 185 pounds and see where I am at that point. Keep up the good work guys!

I am winding down my weight loss after 2 years of going on a mix of reduced carbs and intermittent fasting and it’s been a life change for me.

Jan 1 2020 ( 250.5 lbs )
Current as of last Saturday ( 183.0 lbs I do weekly weighs )
Jan 1 2022 ( TBD )

For the first 6 months I was hard and fast keto with carbs at 25 or less per day and then by the end of the first year I had worked up to 50-75 carbs and now I try to keep them at under 100 for the day and that’s a lot and not really keto but I also adopted intermittent fasting and that started at 12/12 then 16/8 and currently at 20/24 and it’s kinda hard doing it as I work a rotating schedule and my wife does not follow my fasting schedule but I make it work most of the time but I have finally settled in to making my eating window at 4-6 hrs and the other 18-20 hrs nothing and it’s actually very easy now.

I do track macro nutrients and don’t really look at calories but my calories are normally 1200-1500 daily, I do ride a bike and try to log 15 miles on each outing

My year end goal is 180 lbs and current weight as of this a.m is 181.5-182.0 so it should be easy to get to 180.00 and then I will hold my weight there, I will say it’s been a challenge but I feel so much better and all my numbers per the doctor look acceptable so I tell everyone stay strong and stay dedicated you will be rewarded in the end

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am winding down my weight loss after 2 years of going on a mix of reduced carbs and intermittent fasting and it’s been a life change for me.

Jan 1 2020 ( 250.5 lbs )
Current as of last Saturday ( 183.0 lbs I do weekly weighs )
Jan 1 2022 ( TBD )

For the first 6 months I was hard and fast keto with carbs at 25 or less per day and then by the end of the first year I had worked up to 50-75 carbs and now I try to keep them at under 100 for the day and that’s a lot and not really keto but I also adopted intermittent fasting and that started at 12/12 then 16/8 and currently at 20/24 and it’s kinda hard doing it as I work a rotating schedule and my wife does not follow my fasting schedule but I make it work most of the time but I have finally settled in to making my eating window at 4-6 hrs and the other 18-20 hrs nothing and it’s actually very easy now.

I do track macro nutrients and don’t really look at calories but my calories are normally 1200-1500 daily, I do ride a bike and try to log 15 miles on each outing

My year end goal is 180 lbs and current weight as of this a.m is 181.5-182.0 so it should be easy to get to 180.00 and then I will hold my weight there, I will say it’s been a challenge but I feel so much better and all my numbers per the doctor look acceptable so I tell everyone stay strong and stay dedicated you will be rewarded in the end
Wow! Proud of you my friend, for making what might possibly be not just a life changing decision, but a life saving one. Well done!

Tomorrow is my official 2 year anniversary but I’m going to call it today, I started Jan 1st 2020 and Jan 1st 2022 is it as far as counting calories and nutrients but I honestly don’t feel I need to as it’s almost like a muscle memory thing now as I know what to eat and not eat and I can judge portion control, do I have “cheat days” you bet I do but they are not often.

I will say I am truly amazed on how much more energy I have, I don’t get tired like I used to and seem to be more focused, I don’t do any strength training with weights but do cycle on my road bike 40-60 miles per week and when I go alone I clip in and bang on the pedals on the big ring and when momma goes I just cruise but still moving

Anyway I started at 260.5 and I’m currently at 178.5, two years to get here and was hard but worth it, pant size went from 38” to 31-32” and shirt size went from XXL to XL-L

i say those on their journey stay focused and strong it’s worth the investment.

Tomorrow is my official 2 year anniversary but I’m going to call it today, I started Jan 1st 2020 and Jan 1st 2022 is it as far as counting calories and nutrients but I honestly don’t feel I need to as it’s almost like a muscle memory thing now as I know what to eat and not eat and I can judge portion control, do I have “cheat days” you bet I do but they are not often.

I will say I am truly amazed on how much more energy I have, I don’t get tired like I used to and seem to be more focused, I don’t do any strength training with weights but do cycle on my road bike 40-60 miles per week and when I go alone I clip in and bang on the pedals on the big ring and when momma goes I just cruise but still moving

Anyway I started at 260.5 and I’m currently at 178.5, two years to get here and was hard but worth it, pant size went from 38” to 31-32” and shirt size went from XXL to XL-L

i say those on their journey stay focused and strong it’s worth the investment.
congrats :) and ditto what you said stay the path its worth it !!

we have very close paths ! I also started 2 yrs ago
also close to you in weight I was just over 275 and quit checking :) now at a stable 175-180 all the time 5'11" 58yr old

ditto on all the other stuff energy etc..

Weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 27 pounds. One pound away from my supposed ideal weight. Was able to maintain over the holidays. Then I did a dry January which got me past the holiday plateau.

I‘m about to retire another pair of hiking shoes. I hike the 3.5 trail loop weekdays. Then add a more challenging hike on the weekends. Depending on which loop I take it’s 5-6 miles. My body has changed over the course of a year. My increased strength has inspired me to plan a backpacking trip this summer.
99CE700B-F0DE-45A4-918E-AA72282D6D02.jpeg

Weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 27 pounds. One pound away from my supposed ideal weight. Was able to maintain over the holidays. Then I did a dry January which got me past the holiday plateau.

I‘m about to retire another pair of hiking shoes. I hike the 3.5 trail loop weekdays. Then add a more challenging hike on the weekends. Depending on which loop I take it’s 5-6 miles. My body has changed over the course of a year. My increased strength has inspired me to plan a backpacking trip this summer.
View attachment 1411891
awesome looking trail
and of course congrats :)

I have been loving my altra shoes as I have odd wide feet from being barefoot so much never wore shoes island life thing :)

awesome looking trail
and of course congrats :)

I have been loving my altra shoes as I have odd wide feet from being barefoot so much never wore shoes island life thing :)
I’ll have to look into Altra shoes. I have wide feet also. Im a fan of Hoka shoes. They come in wide also.

Top Bottom