What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

Any updates?
How’s it going?
Sorry I didn’t be reply before now. For some reason I missed the notice that you had replied.

Weighed in today and lost another 2.9 pounds since last week. My total loss is now 19.9 pounds. I’m at 267.4. I have not been this light in 5 years.

I’m very pleased with the results, and I’ve not been hungry or craving any food. I was tempted by two pizzas that my son in law brought into the house yesterday, but I just had a shake instead.

New to the forum :) so hello and support for all doing the weight loss my journey began last Feb before I was on the forum :)

57yr old 5’11” @ 175lbs I was at 275 lbs when I quit weighing myself so not sure what I got to ?

I do OMAD and Carnivore and still doing it just over year now and I do eat 2MAD sometimes depending but still %99.9 carnivore nuts but no almonds or no mac nuts as sadly these days they set me off so coconut flour to make some chaffle things once a month as a bun treat for burgers but actually prefer making them out of pork rinds ground up :)

cant see myself stopping as I am doing so well in so many ways :)
my goal was to get to 200 and now at 175 which is what I was in my 20s 30s 40s I am truly amazed but took some discipline and just saying no to junk but I have no real desire for it anymore so the cravings can go away first 3-4 months was tougher but the forward movement got me excited and kept me going

IMHO the keto carnivore works really well but think the OMAD helps a lot to and something to look into
biggest part for me is feeling younger again no more joint pain no more morning brain fog truly mental clarity and overall happiness is back to what it should be etc...

all I can say is it took me years trying various things find what works and NEVER KICK YOURSELF if something happens and you side track ! Just get back on track and keep going that is what I think anyway :)

In my 20s,30s to mid 40s, I was in very good shape and teach scuba for a good portion of my life(15 years) as I am from Maui it was having my lungs fail and things went south as I could not be active and moved to mainland and was overweight for about 15 years ? The mental drain was the toughest thing I think !
I wish I got out of it earlier but I am out now and that is what counts so if anything if something you are trying is not working after 6 months I might say try something else so again dont get discouraged just move to the next find what works for you and realize it might take a while but it can be done :)

New to the forum :) so hello and support for all doing the weight loss my journey began last Feb before I was on the forum :)

57yr old 5’11” @ 175lbs I was at 275 lbs when I quit weighing myself so not sure what I got to ?

I do OMAD and Carnivore and still doing it just over year now and I do eat 2MAD sometimes depending but still %99.9 carnivore nuts but no almonds or no mac nuts as sadly these days they set me off so coconut flour to make some chaffle things once a month as a bun treat for burgers but actually prefer making them out of pork rinds ground up :)

cant see myself stopping as I am doing so well in so many ways :)
my goal was to get to 200 and now at 175 which is what I was in my 20s 30s 40s I am truly amazed but took some discipline and just saying no to junk but I have no real desire for it anymore so the cravings can go away first 3-4 months was tougher but the forward movement got me excited and kept me going

IMHO the keto carnivore works really well but think the OMAD helps a lot to and something to look into
biggest part for me is feeling younger again no more joint pain no more morning brain fog truly mental clarity and overall happiness is back to what it should be etc...

all I can say is it took me years trying various things find what works and NEVER KICK YOURSELF if something happens and you side track ! Just get back on track and keep going that is what I think anyway :)

In my 20s,30s to mid 40s, I was in very good shape and teach scuba for a good portion of my life(15 years) as I am from Maui it was having my lungs fail and things went south as I could not be active and moved to mainland and was overweight for about 15 years ? The mental drain was the toughest thing I think !
I wish I got out of it earlier but I am out now and that is what counts so if anything if something you are trying is not working after 6 months I might say try something else so again dont get discouraged just move to the next find what works for you and realize it might take a while but it can be done :)
The only diets that have worked for me is calorie counting, carb counting and the HMR Weight Loss Plan, which I’m on now. I’m not able to stay on a diet that isn’t strictly regimented and has solid boundaries.

Tim Ferriss' slow carb diet is excellent and sustainable. I've been running a more extreme variation of it for the past 3 and half weeks.

Days 1, 3, 5 Eat 3-4 meals, palm size each of protein, green vegetable and a complex carb (oatmeal, quinoa, sweet potato, lentils, beans). Lift weights on these days for 30-45 minutes
Days 2-4 Eat 2-3 meals, palm size each of protein, green vegetable. Cardio on these days.
Day 6, Cheat day, eat whatever you want within reason. 3000-4000 calories. Anything, though I'd avoid alcohol.
Day 7 Fast for 36 hours. Extreme, yes but it really works. Just need to stay busy.

Weight was 202 in October, 195-197 in January. Tuesday was 180.6. Navel went from 38 1/4 to 35.75

An easier way to run this is day 1-5,
Palm size of carb, protein and green vegetables.
Day 6, A cheat MEAL, not a day.
Day 7 Fast for 24 hours. Dinner to dinner.

Avoid bread, cheese, pasta, fruit except on cheat day.

The only diets that have worked for me is calorie counting, carb counting and the HMR Weight Loss Plan, which I’m on now. I’m not able to stay on a diet that isn’t strictly regimented and has solid boundaries.
glad ya found something that works :)
for me was like tried seemed like so many things and never could get any of them to work :)

I do think that is the key and why I say to anyone just get what works for you and make it happen :)

wishing ya the best !

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Weigh in day was yesterday. I’m at 237.5 pounds. A loss of exactly 50 pounds. Only 37.5 pounds to my interim goal and almost half way to my final goal of 185.
AWESOME!!

I need to get motivated. My weight is okay, but my exercise could be more disciplined.

AWESOME!!

I need to get motivated. My weight is okay, but my exercise could be more disciplined.
HMR strongly encourages exercise. The coach nags at us every Tuesday. Since I have Vestibular problems, I walk with a cane, and it’s hard to get a good clip going without falling. Weebles wobble and this one does fall down.
Because of my Vestibular issue, I walk a treadmill. I usually get in somewhere between 35 minutes to hour at a 5°to 10° incline and a speed of about 2.8 mph. It gives new meaning to Sweating to the Oldies.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
When I retired a couple of years ago my working weight was about 195. I am about 5'10" (72+years of settling from a maximum height of 5' 11 1/2"). My waist was 38", my chest was 44", and my neck was 16 1/2". I did not look unduly heavy. Then my wife decided to go on Noom, and in a show of solidarity I went along for the ride. It had all the things people talk about (a calorie quota, a food distribution, an exercise quota, tracking, etc.). As I reached a better weight my greatest fear was back sliding, but now, after a year or so at my new better weight it is amazingly easy to stay there. As someone else noted, a splurge day is a bad idea. Make it a splurge meal. You can recover pretty painlessly from picking up a pound or two. Oddly, an occasional cheeseburger and fries is wonderful but not as wonderful as you feared it would be! A Morningstar Farms Griller on a Hawaiian roll with some grilled onion, caramelized kimchi, and a little Lite 1000 island is just as much fun.

The point is that my "maintenance" routine is not too horrifying:

Breakfasts are usually either two slices of whole wheat bread full of nuts and seeds, toasted and smeared with avocado, harissa, and a squeeze of lemon or a taco made with a 45 calorie Carb Balancd flour tortilla, a single scrambled egg, and salsa, sometimes with a little diced and fried potato or a half slice of fat free American cheese (try it even if you are a cheese snob).

Lunch is usually a sandwich on Sara Lee 45 calorie bread...mustard, mayonnaise, tomato, a thin slice of Swiss and two slices of smoked turkey or a slice of ham; a Ball Park lean 80 calorie hot dog. (Best of the low calorie hot dogs IMO) on a bun; or a bowl of homemade minestrone, made with vegetable broth.

Before dinner we usually have about three or four crackers with some cheese and one drink, usually a Michelob Ultra or a G and T made with Fever Tree light, but sometimes it is a real drink like an old fashioned or a double martini.

Dinner is usually about three ounces of protein, a salad, and a vegetable, but now and then there is a small amount of something like rice or potato. Popular dinners where we are making up for a splurge include vegetable/tofu curry made with light coconut milk or ramen with a little thinly sliced sirloin and half a boiled egg. Now and then we have pasta but have found some decent whole wheat fettuccine. We will often cook more protein than we need, like a large sirloin or a roast of some sort, and the leftovers are for sandwiches. A cold steak sandwich with a little butter and some mustard pickle is not that many calories, but it is a nice treat.

We usually have desert of an ice cream cone with a scoop of light ice cream (light being less fat and sugar, not artificial sweetening). The ice cream cone (the cup type) makes the desert look generous but is a fraction of the calories of a second scoop of ice cream. In the summer I often have a pitcher of gazpacho in the fridge. A juice glass of gazpacho is a terrific snack.

Snacks along the way include the usual fruit but also now and then a spoonful of peanut butter or a small minimally sweetened yoghurt. We often have a couple of cups of Skinny Pop popcorn.

Exercise is typically a brisk three mile walk, sit-ups, and pushups. Plenty of yard work, too.

So all in all staying at a target weight is proving far easier than I feared, and I get enough of the stuff I really enjoy that I don't feel denied.

Congrats on the way to a healthier version of yourself :)

@Tirvine, those are the sneaky things, Wheat, Tortilla, Potatoes, all just simple carbs, no matter what people say, and it's all just converted into sugars in the body :S It all taste good, don't get me wrong, but it ain't doing you any favors... Same goes for the Fruit, you can get the same vitamins and all from Berries, but you won't get the same sugar load, after all, Fructose is just causing fatty-liver, it shouldn't be recommended like it is :(

You don't need to go down on fat, your body needs that, carbs is the only part of macro's, that the body can live without, but fat is always being blamed, for no reason, lack of research, stupidity, call it what you want...

Exercise, no matter how much you do, food is the first thing to keep in mind, as with the wrong foods, there is no exercise on the planet, that will make you feel good, it all starts with food :) If one is to think about it like that though, the ironic part, is that just cleaning your home, burns more bad stuff, than spending a day at the gym :p

You don't ever need to feel denied of anything, you just gotta know what is right and wrong, and there is so many things you can make on your own, in healthy versions of the so "original" :)

Hand in there everyone, if you wanna better your life, for yourself, your family, it really doesn't take much, but it seems like much, especially with official food pyramids, which are like the dumbest fu***** thing invented, and only made, because laws tell doctors, dietists, nurses, to go by that plan, and yeah, no wonder people are dropping dead every damn minute :(

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Congrats on the way to a healthier version of yourself :)

@Tirvine, those are the sneaky things, Wheat, Tortilla, Potatoes, all just simple carbs, no matter what people say, and it's all just converted into sugars in the body :S It all taste good, don't get me wrong, but it ain't doing you any favors... Same goes for the Fruit, you can get the same vitamins and all from Berries, but you won't get the same sugar load, after all, Fructose is just causing fatty-liver, it shouldn't be recommended like it is :(

You don't need to go down on fat, your body needs that, carbs is the only part of macro's, that the body can live without, but fat is always being blamed, for no reason, lack of research, stupidity, call it what you want...

Exercise, no matter how much you do, food is the first thing to keep in mind, as with the wrong foods, there is no exercise on the planet, that will make you feel good, it all starts with food :) If one is to think about it like that though, the ironic part, is that just cleaning your home, burns more bad stuff, than spending a day at the gym :p

You don't ever need to feel denied of anything, you just gotta know what is right and wrong, and there is so many things you can make on your own, in healthy versions of the so "original" :)

Hand in there everyone, if you wanna better your life, for yourself, your family, it really doesn't take much, but it seems like much, especially with official food pyramids, which are like the dumbest fu***** thing invented, and only made, because laws tell doctors, dietists, nurses, to go by that plan, and yeah, no wonder people are dropping dead every damn minute :(
Yes indeed, they are simple carbs. They have lower caloric value, however, than their stark white counterparts, and I enjoy still having a few simple carbs still in my diet. Given my fairly easy descent from 195 to 150 and how it has been fairly easy to maintain it, I am ok with having them. They are not an everyday thing, and the bread I make is also very heavily loaded with seeds and nuts. However, most typical meals focus on a small bit of meat, a salad, and a vegetable. We avoid things like artificial sweeteners, sucrose, and so-called lite processed foods. We are ok with fat. Breakfasts are usually heavy on avocados.

A good quick read is Younger Next Year. It looks kind of schlocky, lots of testimonials and a garish cover, but the premise is sound. At a cellular level we still burn fat by low intensity sustained activity (long hours looking for food) and carbs by brief bursts of intense activity burning the more readily accessible fuel (running to catch dinner or running to avoid becoming something else's dinner).

A nice thing about exercise is its positive impact on the way I want to eat. If I feel hungry between meals, exercise and water blunts the cravings.

In the final analysis I eat pretty well, and both getting to a healthy weight and keeping my weight at that level has been chiefly about portion control and, to a lesser degree, balance. We had a nice sirloin the other night. It was a little over a pound. It provided six meals, two as a steak dinner and four as toppings for salad.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
there is no exercise on the planet, that will make you feel good, it all starts with food

I agree and disagree.

It's quite true that one cannot exercise one's way out of a bad diet. Choosing the right foods consistently ... and consistently avoiding the wrong ones ... is huge in terms of achieving good health and a good weight.

That being said, exercise is key for health too. One cannot be properly healthy without exercise. Exercise will, in fact, make you feel good. But expecting exercise to do what a proper diet does is as silly as expecting a new set of tires to make your car run better when it actually needs new sparkplugs. (You gotta do both, but they are different things for different purposes.)

Top Bottom