What's new

Badger balm shave soap

So tonight me and the family went out to eat at cracker barrel and and after dinner we were walking around the store part and I went by the skin care section just out of curiosity and low and behold I found a shaving soap called badger shave soap from badger balm. I smelt it and it didn't have a very strong sent and the $12 price tag for a 3.5 oz puck seemed silly so I passed on it but I am curious about it and wanted to know if anyone here has tried it and if so was it any good or was it junk?
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I am a big fan of Badger products (the classic Badger Balm for Hardworking Hands is amazing, and I always have a can on my dresser).

But...the shave soap seems to have no fans hereabouts...many "fair to poor" reviews IIRC. I was tempted to give it a try at one point, but the B&B collective wisdom kept me away.

Well then it is good to know that I was smart in not spending $12 on it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Also see it collecting dust at whose foods. So many bad reviews. The price is outrageous.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be all that good since the puck was hard like store bought bath soap. I figured it would be like modern Williams or worse (yes there are ways to get a good later out of Williams but that is a $2 soap not $12) the only soap that hard I have had good results with that I have tried is VDH.

I bought and tried it for a while. It is hard to get a good lather out of it and it is very pricy for what you get. Comparing in a scale for 1 to 10 with Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap (what I have now), I give Badger a 4 and Mitchell a 10.

The Badget shaving soap do make a good hand soap. I ended up throwing it away. I do use Badger Aftershave and I like it.

Hope you have better experience than I did! That is one of very few soaps that simply did not perform for me.

strop

Now half as wise
I used a puck, only because I'm stubborn that way, and tool it as a challenge! You did right by passing. I soaked it almost continuously for the first several days, just dumping the water off to shave, then covering it again. It eventually softened up to the point I was able to get passable lather by loading 4 to 5 grams per shave, and making the lather right on the puck.

I used a puck, only because I'm stubborn that way, and tool it as a challenge! You did right by passing. I soaked it almost continuously for the first several days, just dumping the water off to shave, then covering it again. It eventually softened up to the point I was able to get passable lather by loading 4 to 5 grams per shave, and making the lather right on the puck.
See I can see a $2 puck like Williams as being a challenge to get it to work but at $11 that stuff better be on par with other stuff in that price range. For that I can get a puck twice the size from Stirling and not have to fight with it to get a good lather.

I have to say I'm tempted to Parker safety razor and stand. If the shave soap is that bad, I'm not inclined to waste money on it. I might go for the horse hair brush or splurge on the Cremo horse hair brush to see how it compares to my badger and boar brushes.

The fellow in the video seemed to use nearly no water, so I wouldn't necessarily base my opinion of the soap on his results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same basic thing as you just slightly different. I grated it up and steamed it with my garment steamer which introduced some moisture into it that way. What was left was similar to a croap. I had to load up alot of product and it wasn't very stable for the second and third passes. I was wondering if it was my somewhat hard water, but distilled didn't seem to help it much the one time I tried it. When the lather mostly worked out for me it was on the slick side but lacking in cushion. I wouldn't call it a bad soap, I have no right to seeing that it's my first soap, and it has some good natural/organic ingredients if your into those things. I tried a new soap tonight, Stirling Black Cherry, used distilled water to bloom the soap and soak my Semogue 1800 in, and wow it was so easy to make a thick slick and stable glistening lather, the stuff has given me hope lol. The badger balm soap was difficult for me, but there are a couple more shaves left in the tub and they'll be waiting for me when I'm in the mood for a challenge!

Top Bottom