What's new

B&B LE Group buy Badger and Blade 2021 LE Pipe : Alden Pipes

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
:pipe: :pipe: :badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger: :pipe::pipe:

Gentlemen! It’s my pleasure to introduce the 2021 B&B LE of the Badger and Blade Brown Leaf! This is the tenth year we’ve done an LE Pipe. This year’s pipe will be made by the one and only Ryan Alden of Edgewood, TX: Custom Handmade Pipes | Alden Pipes - https://www.aldenpipes.com/. Ryan has been making pipes for a number of years and is a true gentleman. He’s joined B&B and is can answer questions and give us updates on the pipe this year as @Alden Pipes .

I’m really excited about this year’s pipe. I have three of Ryan’s pipes and they’re some of my absolute favorites—top notch artistry, perfect smoking characteristics, and they demonstrate a real attention to detail.

This year's pipe is a classic with a bit of personality: a 4-square paneled billiard. The pipe will be a sandblasted crosscut grain and is finished in a lovely contrast brindle stain with a handmade Cumberland stem. This is a very comfortable pipe, feels great in the hand, and it also sits like a good dog. The paneled billiard is one of Ryan’s specialties, and he’s one of the few makers today who does this shape properly.

DSC_0669.JPG

DSC_0673.JPG

DSC_0675.JPG

DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG

DSC_0678.JPG

DSC_0671.JPG

DSC_0682.JPG

DSC_0683.JPG

Approximate Specifications:

Bowl Width – 1.43"
Bowl Height - 2"
Length - 6"
Chamber Depth "Standard Chamber Bore - 13/16"

Price: $275.00 plus 10.00 shipping U.S. or $25 shipping international

In addition........

With this year’s pipe, Ryan is offering us a special option: the choice of bowl diameters.

The pipe will be offered with your choice of three bowl diameters:

Approximate diameters:

Standard – 13/16”
Smaller – 3/4"
Larger – 15/16”

A note about bowl diameters: Some of the experienced pipers here will have strong preferences for their choice of bowl diameter, and different diameters work better for some folks, and for some styles of tobacco. To help you make your choice, here are my general thoughts on bowl diameter:

The standard drilling of 13/16 is a good choice for just about any tobacco. If you’re unsure, choose the standard drilling. I have a 13/16 diameter pipe from Ryan, and it smokes the heck out of Virginias, VaPers, flakes, burleys, dark fired Kentucky—you name it. It’s a good choice for aromatic smokers as well.

The smaller drilling of 3/4 is a good choice for Virginias and flakes. The smaller diameter tends to concentrate flavors, which is why it’s a good choice for Virginias. This diameter will result in a pipe that has slightly thicker chamber walls and will be slightly heavier. Most folks choosing this size will know that they like a smaller chamber.

The larger drilling of 15/16 is a good choice for latakia blends, complex Balkans, and aromatics. In complex Balkans, I find I taste a bit more of the different types of leaf in the blend in a broader chamber like this. I find that blends like Penzance which can be a little subtle and tricky, really do best in a broader chamber. Some aromatic smokers also prefer a larger bowl, as it can help the flavor come through a little clearer. With that said, I know some folks who like a bigger drilling for Virginias. Generally, a bigger bowl is a little harder to control because you’re dealing with more surface area, but can produce a cooler and slower smoke. The larger chamber size will result in a pipe with slightly thinner walls which will be a bit lighter.

Ordering Info:

Please send an email to [email protected] with the subject “B&B Pipe” with the following information:

Name
B&B User Name
Email Address
Mailing Address
Bowl Diameter Choice – you can specify “standard”, “smaller”, or “larger”. If you do not specify a diameter, you will receive a pipe with the standard diameter.

Pipe number will be assigned by order received, and in remembrance of @bryant #20 will be skipped. At the end of the ordering period, Ryan will send members an invoice for initial down payment. This year, Ryan is offering us a tremendous discount over his regular retail price, and the down payment will be half the cost of the pipe ($137.50) so he can order materials without fronting those costs. Upon completion of the pipes, Ryan will send an additional invoice for the balance ($137.50) plus shipping. Projected completion date right now is September.

Don't miss out on the chance to own a Ryan Alden paneled billiard pipe at a great price. The ordering window has been set at 21 days, which would be May 31.

Thanks everyone, it's an honor to be a part of this !

I'm happy that many who've never seen my pipes have a chance to grab one, and I hope the guys who already collect my work will appreciate adding one more !

I'd like to thank @Hirsute for organizing all of the details here. We discussed a lot of possibilities for this one, but narrowed it down to my personal favorite shape, both as a smoker and a pipemaker.
The Classic 4 Square Panel Billiard is timeless. It seems to me as much at home in the 1920's as it does the 2020's. It's both perfectly practical and perfectly handsome.

I've smoked a pipe for 23 years, but never paid much attention to this shape until just a few years ago. Someone requested a copy of the pipe that Bing Crosby smokes in Holiday Inn. His pipe in the film is a large, smooth 4 Square Panel Billiard with a silver band. I studied the pipe and set out to recreate it. When it was done I had gained a ton of respect, both for the shape and whoever first designed the pipe. So simple, but nearly architectural in detail and style. I was in love !

So without rambling too much, the price we negotiated for this years LE reflects my love for making this shape in particular 🤣
I'm glad we worked the details out this way. I hope it allows the highroller and the pennypincher to both get in on the action !
The attention to detail and craftsmanship will be exactly the same here as with all of my pipes, nothing will change from every other pipe I make, except the price ! I also believe this pipe is best presented in this exact color scheme; Antique Red Brindle stain, and Classic Red Cumberland stem. Although handsome in any finish, this combination is the ne plus ultra in my eye.

I will update this post with pictures of the process along the way !

I think Hirsute covered all the detailsl, but please feel free to ask any other questions here or by email.

I will be taking orders by email from now until the end of the month.

We will leave the ordering window open until the 31st, and I will send all Invoices for Deposits at the same time on the 30th and 31st. If you'd like to pay the pipe in one payment on the 31st, please make a note of that in your email and I will send an Invoice for the total price.

I will reply to all of the order emails once I have transferred your details to a log. It could take a week or so to write back to some emails,so if I have not responded to your email within a week please feel free to write again in case the first email didn't go through.

Once again, thanks for inviting me to the forum, and to be a part of this years Limited Edition pipe.
I am looking forward to it !

Thanks everyone, it's an honor to be a part of this !

I'm happy that many who've never seen my pipes have a chance to grab one, and I hope the guys who already collect my work will appreciate adding one more !

I'd like to thank @Hirsute for organizing all of the details here. We discussed a lot of possibilities for this one, but narrowed it down to my personal favorite shape, both as a smoker and a pipemaker.
The Classic 4 Square Panel Billiard is timeless. It seems to me as much at home in the 1920's as it does the 2020's. It's both perfectly practical and perfectly handsome.

I've smoked a pipe for 23 years, but never paid much attention to this shape until just a few years ago. Someone requested a copy of the pipe that Bing Crosby smokes in Holiday Inn. His pipe in the film is a large, smooth 4 Square Panel Billiard with a silver band. I studied the pipe and set out to recreate it. When it was done I had gained a ton of respect, both for the shape and whoever first designed the pipe. So simple, but nearly architectural in detail and style. I was in love !

So without rambling too much, the price we negotiated for this years LE reflects my love for making this shape in particular 🤣
I'm glad we worked the details out this way. I hope it allows the highroller and the pennypincher to both get in on the action !
The attention to detail and craftsmanship will be exactly the same here as with all of my pipes, nothing will change from every other pipe I make, except the price ! I also believe this pipe is best presented in this exact color scheme; Antique Red Brindle stain, and Classic Red Cumberland stem. Although handsome in any finish, this combination is the ne plus ultra in my eye.

I will update this post with pictures of the process along the way !

I think Hirsute covered all the detailsl, but please feel free to ask any other questions here or by email.

I will be taking orders by email from now until the end of the month.

We will leave the ordering window open until the 31st, and I will send all Invoices for Deposits at the same time on the 30th and 31st. If you'd like to pay the pipe in one payment on the 31st, please make a note of that in your email and I will send an Invoice for the total price.

I will reply to all of the order emails once I have transferred your details to a log. It could take a week or so to write back to some emails,so if I have not responded to your email within a week please feel free to write again in case the first email didn't go through.

Once again, thanks for inviting me to the forum, and to be a part of this years Limited Edition pipe.
I am looking forward to it !
So happy you are part of this esteemed group of pipe makers. It is well deserved.

Micah, you have done a superb job. We should have expected nothing less.

Top Bottom