What's new

INFO! Badger and Blade 2020 LE Pipe : Askwith Pipes

Chris, are you still planning on posting this info? I have no experience with a morta pipe..
Oh yes, I completely forgot about that, my apologies.

It's quite simple really. Firstly, don't worry about break in or anything, just smoke the pipe. The outside of the bowl will likely feel a little bit warmer than you are used with a briar, Morta conducts the heat better than briar so you might notice that, as long as the smoke is cool and going well, don't worry about it.
Don't let a thick cake build up in the bowl, thickness of cereal box card is more than enough, a thick cake could crack the bowl. I recommend wiping the bowl with a paper towel after smoking to slow the build up of cake. If you need to ream the bowl (very rare) then use some sandpaper rather than a bladed reamer as the coarse grain of morta could catch and cause damage.
Clean using lightly alcohol moistened pipe cleaners, do not soak it like you might a briar and definitely don't do a salt/alcohol treatment.

That's about it really, not as fussy as Meerschaum but a tiny bit more care needed than a briar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Food grade alcohol right Chris? No isopropyl or anything like that...I use Everclear grain alcohol.

Doesn't matter too, you won't smoke it until the alcohol has evaporated anyway. Everclear would be great from what I understand but that's not something we can get in the UK. I use 99% pure isopropyl for cleaning pipes since I have it on hand for use in staining pipes anyway.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter too, you won't smoke it until the alcohol has evaporated anyway. Everclear would be great for what I understand but that's not something we can get in the UK. I use 99% pure isopropyl for cleaning pipes since I have it on hand for use in staining pipes anyway.
It's on a state by state basis here. My state has a cap of 151 proof for booze. I can get 151 proof everclear but use 98% isopropyl since I can get it at the drug store.

The package left Queens, NY last night; 9:13 to be specific. No destination, no timeline, no hope.
Sorry, I was thinking of a country western song line. I'm hoping it left the Queens Distribution Center for JFK and a flight to somewhere like...Kansas City. The saga continues.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Forgive my ignorance - the stem doesn’t go all the way in? I pushed it a little bit, but didn’t want to force it cause I’m not sure.

And the black filter looking piece that sticks out of the stem is permanent? (yeah, I don’t know jack about pipes)

9AC752FE-7EBE-45E2-AD21-1F64B38AF8BC.jpeg
A803FCD8-E691-45B3-8ECD-608032EC7B18.jpeg
AF419DAA-794C-4EFF-A0D1-7FD281B4C4C2.jpeg
9F595C9B-FFB1-45B8-92DF-B1B28E15FFD6.jpeg
772633A8-DCF0-416A-BA00-0FEC31737B7F.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yep that was the “stepped stem” we were talking about, and the black thing is the tenon that is permanent. It’s a different material than the stem called delrin. I think.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Forgive my ignorance - the stem doesn’t go all the way in? I pushed it a little bit, but didn’t want to force it cause I’m not sure.

And the black filter looking piece that sticks out of the stem is permanent? (yeah, I don’t know jack about pipes)

View attachment 1126779View attachment 1126780View attachment 1126781View attachment 1126782View attachment 1126783
I think I'd put some kind of "washer" or O-ring on it, only because I don't particularly like the look. Love the color choices though.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'll add a couple of things to Chris's "care and feeding of morta pipes". I'll echo his comment that morta can get hot quicker than briar--like surprisingly hot if you overdo it--but it also cools down much quicker than briar, so if this happens, don't keep puffing away. Just park the pipe for 5 minutes and it'll be nice and cool when you pick it back up.

Also, for whatever reason, a new morta pipe almost always tastes bad to me for the first couple of smokes. I don't know why and that's not a universal experience. But, it always goes away after a couple of smokes for me. So, if you get your new pipe and it tastes a bit off for the first couple of smokes, don't sweat it! I love my morta pipes, I love my Askwith pipes, I love my Askwith morta pipes, and I know this one is going to be awesome!

Top Bottom