What's new

INFO! Badger and Blade 2020 LE Pipe : Askwith Pipes

A couple of bowls off the lathe and the first rough shaping pass at the sanding wheel done.

IMG_20200623_095801.jpg

I think it's just the light and the camera, they are very close in colour to the eye.

Colour has very little (probably none in fact) bearing on age or geography, different parts of the tree react in different ways due to the natural chemicals in the wood, thickness of the wood(tree), density and all sorts of other factors.

If someone tries to tell you a certain pipe has special qualities thanks to the colour of the wood, be very sceptical of their claims.

Another casualty today.
I don't mind so much if flaws show up at the rough cut stage, very little work invested and only the materials lost really. After I put a lot of work into a bowl though and have almost finished the shaping it is very depressing.
View attachment 1116835

Is there a % of expected casualty with morta? It sucks that you put all the work in and can’t salvage it for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a % of expected casualty with morta? It sucks that you put all the work in and can’t salvage it for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, luck of the draw I guess. In general I do better with Morta than briar, flaws are less common in morta and when you do get them they are usually large and easily visible either before you cut the block or after. A flaw like the one you see in the picture is fairly rare. I think that probably makes it more depressing though! lol

Top Bottom