What's new

Badger. A first impression.

Right my first brush was a cheapo boar from ebay, cost around £5. I knew nothing about brushes. It did the job and morphed into a nice soft tipped brush. I like it enough to buy another, slightly larger. It was the same no brand name cheapo with bare wood handle. Cheap tat but great brushes all the same. I used them for a few years quite happy.

Then I joined a shaving Forum. Badger and synthetics were discussed. I bought an Edwin Jagger synthetic just to see what the fuss was about, and I was converted. Boars went in the bin. Synthetics were to me the nuts and I saw no reason to use anything else, especially considering badger brushes seem to be a bit of a bottomless pit with different varieties and prices. Not that that stopped me accumulating some less than cheap synthetics.

1592571001242.png

Anyway after years of synthetic happiness and way too much time spent listening to people rubbishing synthetics and waxing lyrical about the merits of badger brushes, (only on shaving Forums of course. Nobody goes on like that in real life) I decided to try a badger. So here it is. My first ever badger brush....The Simpson Berekely 46 in best.

1592571354325.png

Haven't used it yet. I've given it a few washes and hand lathers and will use it tomorrow. My first impressions. It feels and smells like something from the medieval days. Old school. Did they have schools back in those days? It's like something Don Quixote might have used. If he shaved. Now I remember why I ditched my boars. It feels hard, pointy and stiff, and it smells funny. I think it's dead. Might as well go the whole way and sharpen up a piece of flint for tomorrows shave. Just to, you know, be authentic. Here is the 46 next some Simpsons synthetics of similar size, the Chubby 1 and Trafalgar T1.

1592571938760.png

Now obviously I'm not gonna rubbish a product without trying it out properly for a wee while, so I'll post some updates on my progress with this jaggy smelly brush of yesteryear. I've also ordered a few boars. Just to go the whole...hog..snigger. :thumbup:

Can you love the knots from the chubby series (Havent tried synthetic Ch2s) and feel a berkeley compares/competes similarly?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve tried about 10 different synthetics and found most of them turn warm lather cold by the second pass and messily fling water all over the place as I use them to face lather. Badger outperforms them in my opinion, just slightly less quick to lather.

This said, if I were buying another synthetic right now it would be a Chubby. It’s the only one with any appeal to me at this point. There’s also definitely something to be said for being able to experience the softness of a synthetic at such a low price point. A very soft badger will often cost more.

But at the end of the day, synthetics are a utilitarian option in my book. They’re the bridge between old school wet shaving and canned foam.

Can you love the knots from the chubby series (Havent tried synthetic Ch2s) and feel a berkeley compares/competes similarly?

I'll let you know. The size certainly isn't an issue. I don't like big brushes so trying the Chubby 2 was a risk for me. They don't spread out or 'bloom' like a badger or boar though so it doesn't feel too much to me, despite the 27mm knot. I'd call it a big brush but not a huge brush. I do like the density of the Chubby synths and the Berekely feels fairly dense as well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Right my first brush was a cheapo boar from ebay, cost around £5. I knew nothing about brushes. It did the job and morphed into a nice soft tipped brush. I like it enough to buy another, slightly larger. It was the same no brand name cheapo with bare wood handle. Cheap tat but great brushes all the same. I used them for a few years quite happy.

Then I joined a shaving Forum. Badger and synthetics were discussed. I bought an Edwin Jagger synthetic just to see what the fuss was about, and I was converted. Boars went in the bin. Synthetics were to me the nuts and I saw no reason to use anything else, especially considering badger brushes seem to be a bit of a bottomless pit with different varieties and prices. Not that that stopped me accumulating some less than cheap synthetics.

View attachment 1115028

Anyway after years of synthetic happiness and way too much time spent listening to people rubbishing synthetics and waxing lyrical about the merits of badger brushes, (only on shaving Forums of course. Nobody goes on like that in real life) I decided to try a badger. So here it is. My first ever badger brush....The Simpson Berekely 46 in best.

View attachment 1115037

Haven't used it yet. I've given it a few washes and hand lathers and will use it tomorrow. My first impressions. It feels and smells like something from the medieval days. Old school. Did they have schools back in those days? It's like something Don Quixote might have used. If he shaved. Now I remember why I ditched my boars. It feels hard, pointy and stiff, and it smells funny. I think it's dead. Might as well go the whole way and sharpen up a piece of flint for tomorrows shave. Just to, you know, be authentic. Here is the 46 next some Simpsons synthetics of similar size, the Chubby 1 and Trafalgar T1.

View attachment 1115044

Now obviously I'm not gonna rubbish a product without trying it out properly for a wee while, so I'll post some updates on my progress with this jaggy smelly brush of yesteryear. I've also ordered a few boars. Just to go the whole...hog..snigger. :thumbup:

Lathering your badger brush a couple of times with a nice, basic shampoo can help get rid of the "funk". ;)

Each type of brush has it's own character which will translate into your own list of plusses and minuses for that type.

For me, the type of brush I reach for depends on what characteristics I want for that particular shave. :)

YMMV. :)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Lathering your badger brush a couple of times with a nice, basic shampoo can help get rid of the "funk". ;)

Each type of brush has it's own character which will translate into your own list of plusses and minuses for that type.

For me, the type of brush I reach for depends on what characteristics I want for that particular shave. :)

This is true. I would like a small Simpson’s Synthetic for travel. I only like synthetics for their characteristic of being easy to use and quick to dry. At home I prefer brushes with a bit more personality to them.

I am a little bit curious so I hope that you will indulge me. What did you find preferable about synthetic brushes over your boar brushes?

Quick, clean, easy, hassle free, hygenic. They seemed to me to be modern tech and the way forward, and I have none of the oft mentioned issues like lather flying everywhere etc. No downside at all actually.

Funnily enough I've always tried to express that about different brushes and different characteristics, even regarding synthetics.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The image with the 19mm Berkeley 46 Best next to the 22mm Chubby 1 Synthetic shows the difference that splay and bloom will make to how large a brush will feel in use. If you like a certain size in badger then I would go a few mm larger in synthetic.

Reactions: nav
The image with the 19mm Berkeley 46 Best next to the 22mm Chubby 1 Synthetic shows the difference that splay and bloom will make to how large a brush will feel in use. If you like a certain size in badger then I would go a few mm larger in synthetic.

Not necessarily. The Simpsons hold their shape because of the density and short loft but I had a EJ STF in 23mm and that felt like a much bigger brush on the face than my Chubby 2's. Less dense and higher loft so it splayed easier and stayed that way to a degree.

It's the brush on the right...

1592587716733.png

For me, that would be like shaving with a butter knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really isn't. It has no effect on shave whatsoever. You just have to get used to it. I would find hot water unpleasant most of the time, especially in hot weather.

It really isn't. It has no effect on shave whatsoever. You just have to get used to it. I would find hot water unpleasant most of the time, especially in hot weather.

Oh no. I’ve cold water shaved when I had to. Hot water softens the beard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom