What's new

Bad_Rockk's Wet Shaving Journey

Hi there,

for some data about me, here is the link to my Hall of Fame entry. Here just a short conclusion:
  • wet shaving with cartridge razor for 14 years
  • started with a straight razor/shavette in august 2017
  • started with safety razors in july 2018
I start this journal to document my shaving experiences and to receive some advice from experienced shavers. I'm shaving in the evening, because I have to get to work early (5 a.m). So I'm looking for a long lasting close shave.

My actual equipment:
Razors and handles:
  • Gold Dollar 66
  • Universal lama interna shavette for whole DE blades
  • YAQI closed comb (scalloped bar) + double open comb (mellon)
  • Le Grelot, 1930, double open comb safety razor (which is for trade because it's to light)
  • Mühle R41 head
  • The Fatty, SS handle, 142g/5 oz
  • Rockwell 6S (borrowed)
Brush:
  • YAQI 30mm Tuxedo
Soaps:
  • Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
  • Stirling Orange Chill (sample)
  • Stirling Glacial Wintergreen (sample)
  • Stirling Glacial Frozen Tundra (sample)
  • RazoRock XXX
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • Proraso green
Yesterday I shaved with the Universal shavette after using only safety razors since july. The shave was realy good, no nicks, no cuts. Almost no sting of the applied AS. But it wasn't close enough.

I tried the shavette because after using the R41 head, the Rockwelle 6S #6 wasn't as pleasant to use as before. The R41 gave me a realy close shave, what the 6S wasn't able to. But no matter which safety razor I use, I get irritations and a hell of a sting of the AS at the neck area. My trouble spots are at the back of the neck, just below the end of the lower jaw bone. At these spots the growth goes from ears to chin.

I think my main problem ist the adjustment of the shaving angle during the shave. I read that after 100 shaves the technique should be improved very much... my shave count is about 35, so still a bit to go.

Greetings from Germany!

07.08.2018:

Pre-Shave: cold shower
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
Brush: YAQI 30 mm Tuxedo
Razor: R41 + YAQI Black matte handle
Blade: ASP #3
Aftershave: AXE Alaska + LR Aloe Vera After Shave Balm

20180807_193021.jpg

Another realy good shave with the R41 head. The YAQI matte black handle realy fits to the R41, I also like the combination of matte and polished surfaces. The borrowed 6S has to leave me for 99%. The R41 works just better for me.

Although I saw an ATT 7-piece set and thinking about buing it, even for that high price. The price is legimate for the quality but on the other hand with only one cap I can't build a complet second razor...

08.08.2018:

Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
Blade: ASP #4

The Rockwell 6S is on its way back to his owner. For the next shaves I'll stick with the R41 +YAQI handle and in parallel I'm looking for a modern SE razor (RR Hawk, The Claymore, ...) to try.

09.08.2018:

Soap: RazoRock XXX
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue #1

The two changes to the previous shave weren't good. The XXX gets me irritations right after applying it to the face. The GSB didb't worked in any of my previously tested razors and also didn't worked in the R41. So the soap and the blades are going to B/S/T in the near future. Tomorrow I'm switching back to the standard setup with Stirling and ASP.

10.08.2018:

Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
Razor: Fatty R41
Blade: ASP #1

Switched to the Fatty handle to prepaire for the upcoming test period with "The Claymore" SE-razor. With this handle it is even heavier than the scottish claymore. I also got 3 Feather SE-blades from a german wetshaving fellow for the test with the claymore.

After the ASP the next blade in the R41 will be a Voskhod.

I also ordered some new software: Proraso green AS and white ASB and some soaps (Tabac, Proraso green,
Tcheon Fung Sing Sandalwood) for my dad.

11.08.2018: big and heavy shave

Soap: Stirling Lemon Chill
Razor: Fatty R41
Blade: ASP #2
Aftershave: Proraso AS + LR Aloe Vera After Shave Balm

20180811_190125.jpg

12.08.2018:

Brush: YAQI 24 mm
Razor: R41 base + YAQI DOC cap + YAQI matte black handle
Blade: ASP #3
Aftershave: Proraso AS + ASB

With the DOC cap the R41 becomes milder without any lost of closeness. :thumbup: I will continue with this configuration.

12.08.2018:

Razor: R41 base + YAQI DOC cap + YAQI matte black handle
Blade: ASP #4

Next time with a Voskhod blade

19.08.2018:

Razor: The Claymore V1
Blade: Feather Professional #2

20180819_190625.jpg

The Claymore is the perfect razor for me. It is smooth and close. Unfortunatly it's not mine, just borrowed...

A little update here:

The one week test period of the above mentioned Claymore V1 SE razor made a huge impact on my wet shaving journey. Before the Claymore every shave came along with weepers, irritations and a heavy sting of the AS. None of that with the Claymore! It was close to perfection at the first try. So I was hard sending the borrowed razor back...

Luckily yesterday I had the chance to buy an Claymore V2 razor of a B&B member. Now I'm checking the tracking site every few hours to know when it will arrive. For me there is actual now reason going back to DE razors because none of the tested suited me like the SE Claymore.

And because some DE razors I have are going to BST in the near future, there will be new space for additional SE razors. :001_cool: Unfortunately it is pretty expensive to order US razors to Europe, so I will check the European wet shaving forums for some second hand razors.

In october a good friend of mine will travel from New Orleans to NYC. So I already gave him the address of Pasteur Pharmacy to pick up some US soaps for me. Next year my sister-in-law is going to the US to visit a friend of hers. I already told her that she has to bring some wet shaving stuff back to Germany for me :innocent:

So the journey will be continued...

It has arrived:

Claymore.jpg

A Claymore V2 with additional Feather Professional Super, a Kai Titan Mild Protouch and a Mild Pink. Thanks a lot to @StuMcB !!

I'm realy looking forward to my daily evening shave.

After three shaves with the Claymore V2 i have to say it is a different razor compared to the Claymore V1. As posted in the SEptember 2018 thread, I ordered some Schick Proline blades to make another try with the Claymore V2. Thanks @rabidus for the recommendation.

If the Schick Proline will change the smoothness to V1 level, I would be very happy. If not the Claymore has to leaf me and I will looking for a trade for a Claymore V1 oder a SS/brass Colonial General or ATT SE1/2.

Thanks to an angle recommendation (15 - 30 degrees) from @GlazedBoker the level of aggression dropped a lot. After I changed the blade back to a Feather Professional the shaves are getting smoother too.

So now the V2 will stay with me and I'm trying to improve shave by shave with this heavy beast. As soon as the Schick Proline arrive from Japan, I will try those to. If they are sharper than the Professionals, the shaves should get even smoother! :badger:

Top Bottom