What's new

Bad weekend.....not.

The GP100 would be my choice of the two. When the Match Champion came out some years ago I just decided to dress my standard Ruger instead of trade it. I added the Match Champion grips and the fiber optic front sight. I thought the trigger was already pretty decent on mine.
20200224_123722.jpg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The GP100 would be my choice of the two. When the Match Champion came out some years ago I just decided to dress my standard Ruger instead of trade it. I added the Match Champion grips and the fiber optic front sight. I thought the trigger was already pretty decent on mine.
View attachment 1066731.

It is amazing what nice set of grips can do for a revolver. Nice.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The SW Model 66 is also on the table.

This is something we discussed. The designs of some .357 revolvers, like a S&W and others, have where the back of the steel on the pistols grip frame, is exposed in the rear of the backstrap and also the front between the two sides of the grips panels. There is no protection from this during the shooting of full power magnum loads.

The energy and recoil is transferred from the back of that steel frame, directly to your shooting hand. This is why many, express their experience of brutality, when shooting heavy, full power loads. Your Taurus, is designed this exact same way. Unless some type of absorbing grip is placed around the steel frame of these designs, instead of letting the steel frame be exposed between them? It will always be the case that some people can just manage it better than others.

However, as we get older, I hear more complaints then I do people actually carrying full power magnum loads in these pistols except in bear country.

The Ruger and Rhino's back strap designs, works an an interior post, which is completely wedged in and surrounded by, recoil and energy soaking rubber or wood. The shooting hand is not exposed to any metal frame which energy and recoil can be transferred directly to the hand.

This is why you enjoyed shooting them, but not so much your Taurus.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
This is something we discussed. The designs of some .357 revolvers, like a S&W and others, have where the back of the steel on the pistols grip frame, is exposed in the rear of the backstrap and also the front between the two sides of the grips panels. There is no protection from this during the shooting of full power magnum loads.

The energy and recoil is transferred from the back of that steel frame, directly to your shooting hand. This is why many, express their experience of brutality, when shooting heavy, full power loads. Your Taurus, is designed this exact same way. Unless some type of absorbing grip is placed around the steel frame of these designs, instead of letting the steel frame be exposed between them? It will always be the case that some people can just manage it better than others.

However, as we get older, I hear more complaints then I do people actually carrying full power magnum loads in these pistols except in bear country.

The Ruger and Rhino's back strap designs, works an an interior post, which is completely wedged in and surrounded by, recoil and energy soaking rubber or wood. The shooting hand is not exposed to any metal frame which energy and recoil can be transferred directly to the hand.

I have found a used stainless GP 100 match champion, in the box all the paperwork, it looks almost unfired for $625. This has a 4" barrel, the Wiley Clapp had a 3". The extra inch would not make much difference in carrying it. I have until tomorrow to decide if I want it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I thought you were familiar with Frank's grips. You did say some type of absorbing grip though. They manufacture both exposed backstrap and covered backstrap. I don't have a bit of a problem using the covered backstrap ones and I don't have big hands. Hogue and others also make them.

1582669152726.png

I am just a farm boy that grew up with guns as another tool we used in life, not a hobbiest or professional or what ever. I have gone through a short period of "collecting" several guns when I had some extra money. Anyway, the only hand gun I remember being painful to shoot was a .44mag that had a trigger guard like this pic. Wood or the metal frame never seemed terribly noticeable but the square trigger guard would definitely give you a poke occasionally.

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2
I thought you were familiar with Frank's grips. You did say some type of absorbing grip though. They manufacture both exposed backstrap and covered backstrap. I don't have a bit of a problem using the covered backstrap ones and I don't have big hands. Hogue and others also make them.

View attachment 1067097

OK, you don't see a Magnaported 681 very often.

Love the Dick Special too, or is it an Agent?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Should have been my first guess w/ the anodizing & blue finish. Hope to have one, someday...

I got this one at a gun show in Mesquite exactly one week before Colt did the bankruptsy thing the last time, again. Kinda surprised that I got it for the price I did, but it was the last day of the show and the guy didn't really know what he had. Vintage Snake guns can get high.

That Magnaported Model 681 with the full lug barrel ought to be steady as a rock, even when shooting the heaviest of .357 Magnum loads.

Top Bottom