What's new

Bad shoe polish - need some help

I bought a new pair of brown dress shoes today, and I always polish a new pair of shoes. I use Kiwi.
Well, this pretty much hosed the shoes royally. For some reason, the polish just caked up like brown pond scum.
What's the best way to get it off and start over? I've tried saddle soap and a toothbrush, but that didn't seem to work too well. Should I just put them out in the sun and the build up melt away? I did some research and saw hot water and a scrub pad, but obviously that could harm the leather.
Thoughts?

UPDATE: The shoes are saved.
After consideration, I took a heat gun to the shoes and got rid of pond scum wax build up. I heated them up and gently wiped away the nasty stuff with a t-shirt. After that, I hit them with a good dose of shaving cream, followed by saddle soap and a toothbrush. When I got the crud off, I came back with a good coat of neutral and my electric buffer. The new shoes look like a champ.

I think the brown polish discolored a few places, but they are brown, cap-toe brogues, so it kind of adds to the character of the shoe.

I'm happy.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Good to hear you have it sorted.
I can recommend acetone for removing excess polish, just ensure you give the shoe some conditioner after.

I have seen shoe shine guys whom I thought did an excellent good, use 70% isopropyl alcohol to start off the shoe shine process. I have used it, too, from time to time. But have been a little afraid of it, frankly. Acetone seems really strong to me. I am sure it would remove anything. Be sure to use that well-ventilated and wearing impermeable groves or at least make sure not to get it on you skin. It it will eat your liver up!

Kiwi is not what it used to be. All shoe polish seems to go bad after a while in my experience. Not that bad though.

I have seen shoe shine guys whom I thought did an excellent good, use 70% isopropyl alcohol to start off the shoe shine process. I have used it, too, from time to time. But have been a little afraid of it, frankly. Acetone seems really strong to me. I am sure it would remove anything. Be sure to use that well-ventilated and wearing impermeable groves or at least make sure not to get it on you skin. It it will eat your liver up!

Kiwi is not what it used to be. All shoe polish seems to go bad after a while in my experience. Not that bad though.
70 % or 91% isopropyl works great, acetone is too strong, I agree...A good soapy cleaning after the alcohol, let dry, then a massage with Venetian Shoe Cream, let set for several hours, wipe off, then use a high quality wax or cream polish...Don't forget, if your leather is Chrome Excel treated, do NOT use this method !

<Don't forget, if your leather is Chrome Excel treated, do NOT use this method !>

I would not have known that! Thanks!

Hmmm...I am almost out of my old kiwi! What are some of the better/higher end shoe polishes on the market that you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

strop

Now half as wise
Hmmm...I am almost out of my old kiwi! What are some of the better/higher end shoe polishes on the market that you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

My favorite, and widely talked about here, is Saphir. Pricey, but IMO noticeably better. The Renovateur is almost enough by istself if you don't go too long between treatments. I've only found one store that carries it so you will probably need to order it online.

I learned to polish shoes from my father. About once a month he would bring them all out, cover the kitchen table with newspaper and have at it. Always cleaned off the old polish first with lighter fluid! Not sure I would want to try it now, but his shoes lasted for years and years without problems.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen

Thanks!

Vr

Matt
Lincoln shoe polish is way better than Kiwi, and far less expensive (though maybe not as good) as Saphir. Plus, it won't ruin your shoes. I've found Venetian to be a good conditioner; Kelly creams are solid performers and a good value. (Again, Saphir is reputed to be the gold standard.)

UPDATE: The shoes are saved.
After consideration, I took a heat gun to the shoes and got rid of pond scum wax build up. I heated them up and gently wiped away the nasty stuff with a t-shirt. After that, I hit them with a good dose of shaving cream, followed by saddle soap and a toothbrush. When I got the crud off, I came back with a good coat of neutral and my electric buffer. The new shoes look like a champ.

I think the brown polish discolored a few places, but they are brown, cap-toe brogues, so it kind of adds to the character of the shoe.

I'm happy.

Did you say "character"? ;)

Tan shoes with a little bit of darker (brown or black) polish can be made to look pretty darned awesome with lots of character.

Did you say "character"? ;)

Tan shoes with a little bit of darker (brown or black) polish can be made to look pretty darned awesome with lots of character.

Very nice... especially the part where they got the shoes for $50!
I'm ahead of my time, I suppose.

Top Bottom