What's new

Bad Personna (Israeli) Red Blades

Personna Red’s vs the Personna blue white package with red lettering. Honestly, there is no way these are the same blades. I tossed the blades in the blue white package with the red letters. These blades are inferior to the Personna Red package which also wraps the blade in a red wrapper. If you have not tried the real Personna Reds, then you owe it to yourself to try them. To me they are very similar to a Astra SP, but your mileage may differ. Here is a photo of the blades 6ou need to be trying. Embrace the Red’s

Attachments

• 0870BF0F-550C-4E52-8FB3-6A8E30D44487.jpeg
    0870BF0F-550C-4E52-8FB3-6A8E30D44487.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 12

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Personna Red’s vs the Personna blue white package with red lettering. Honestly, there is no way these are the same blades. I tossed the blades in the blue white package with the red letters. These blades are inferior to the Personna Red package which also wraps the blade in a red wrapper. If you have not tried the real Personna Reds, then you owe it to yourself to try them. To me they are very similar to a Astra SP, but your mileage may differ. Here is a photo of the blades 6ou need to be trying. Embrace the Red’s
embrace the reds
they should adopt that as marketing!

Tuesday I was going to post that the Personna reds in the blue/white package were exactly the same as the red wrapper blades. Then on Christmas day I put in a new Personna from the blue/white package using a Gamechanger .84 OC with M&M Nantahala soap and started with great expectations. From the very beginning the blade seemed dull and to drag. I finished the shave, got a BBS with some careful work and ended up with no irritation however. Today swapped that blade for the next one in the same pack just to see and the shave went great, just as smooth and sharp as the red wrapper blades. So all that said, I have no idea if they are the exact same blade or not, but there seems to be some kind of QC issue occasionally. That was the first questionable blade I found out of the first several packs I have tried. Other sites have insisted that the only difference is the packaging for regional marketing. I don't know.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I've moved on from personna blades. I think personna USA bas been sold twice since 2015, and there are a lot of other better blades available, so no need to stress over bad personna blades for me. 😀

I use my Personna blue/whites on a regular basis. It is one of my favourite blade brands. Sharp and smooth, I get excellent shaves with them. I never had any issues, after having used them for more than a year. There was not one single dull blade in my tucks. As of yet I bought them from different vendors in Germany and the UK.

Recently I ordered a larger quantity as I was so pleased with the performance of this brand and since I intend to join in the leap year sabbatical I needed an adequate stock. Now I am wondering if this order was a smart idea... however, the parcel now is on its way from the UK to Germany... #fingerscrossed

Tuesday I was going to post that the Personna reds in the blue/white package were exactly the same as the red wrapper blades. Then on Christmas day I put in a new Personna from the blue/white package using a Gamechanger .84 OC with M&M Nantahala soap and started with great expectations. From the very beginning the blade seemed dull and to drag. I finished the shave, got a BBS with some careful work and ended up with no irritation however. Today swapped that blade for the next one in the same pack just to see and the shave went great, just as smooth and sharp as the red wrapper blades. So all that said, I have no idea if they are the exact same blade or not, but there seems to be some kind of QC issue occasionally. That was the first questionable blade I found out of the first several packs I have tried. Other sites have insisted that the only difference is the packaging for regional marketing. I don't know.

yes.... I get the same tugging and pulling as you described but with me it’s every blade I try out of the blue white package. And I never get it with the red package. Don’t know what the difference really is but I just ordered another 300 blades in the red package.

My problem is my skin and beard type. Sensitive skin that demands a smooth blade but a coarse beard like wire tubing that demands a sharp blade. So I’m always walking a tight rope between sharpness and smoothness. For me...the reds deliver. But as we always say... mileage may very

I've moved on from personna blades. I think personna USA bas been sold twice since 2015, and there are a lot of other better blades available, so no need to stress over bad personna blades for me. 😀
Yes. I believe sharp edge Corp owns Personna now. They are the same people who own Schick and Wilkinson Sword. And I believe they in turn are owned by Energizer. Lol. Wow. but I don’t see them really promoting Personna very much. So have no idea what Personna’s future may be. good thing I have Astra SP for backups

I use my Personna blue/whites on a regular basis. It is one of my favourite blade brands. Sharp and smooth, I get excellent shaves with them. I never had any issues, after having used them for more than a year. There was not one single dull blade in my tucks. As of yet I bought them from different vendors in Germany and the UK.

Recently I ordered a larger quantity as I was so pleased with the performance of this brand and since I intend to join in the leap year sabbatical I needed an adequate stock. Now I am wondering if this order was a smart idea... however, the parcel now is on its way from the UK to Germany... #fingerscrossed

honestly.... if they work for you then it is a good move. It may be just me that has problems with them. They are very smooth for me but seem to tug on my beard.

I'm also hoping you have no issues and it was just one blade bad experience for me because the other blades from the same lot I have used have been great and also fairly long lasting. They are normally a sharp and smooth blade. I also bought from a reputable dealer so I'm expecting many more good shaves from the Blue/White Reds lot I purchased earlier this year...Personna blade varieties are indeed confusing. I like really sharp blades and my favorites have been Nacet, GSB, 7 O'Clock Black, Feather, and Israeli Reds. These all have been sharp and smooth for me.

honestly.... if they work for you then it is a good move. It may be just me that has problems with them. They are very smooth for me but seem to tug on my beard.
My concern only revered to potential quality control issues which habe been discussed in the course of this thread (which I can not confirm as of yet). I still believe they work for me (at least in the absence of ongoing qc issues). Time will tell...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Yes. I believe sharp edge Corp owns Personna now. They are the same people who own Schick and Wilkinson Sword. And I believe they in turn are owned by Energizer. Lol. Wow. but I don’t see them really promoting Personna very much. So have no idea what Personna’s future may be. good thing I have Astra SP for backups

I think that would be Edgewell, who is Gillette's major global competitor in this market.

Personna is now a brand name used among several companies. Accutec in Virginia also uses the Personna name for its standard and med prep blade lines.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Personna has been little more than a brand name without a single company for some time.

The Virginia USA blade facility making Personnas was privately acquired from Energizer's parent company a few years back, and now operates under a new company called Accutec. As I stated above, they continue to make first-tier blades under the Personna brand name. There was never any corporate relation between this Virginia facility and other blade makers using the Personna name.

The Israeli 'Red' Personnas were a product of Edgewell, who like Gillette, runs facilities across the world and markets blades under many trade names. My understanding is that Edgewell shut down the old Israeli blade facility in 2018, and production was relocated to Germany alongside Edgewell's other major lines. Any Israeli 'Reds' you are finding for sale are technically NOS at this point (which is why the price keeps creeping up on them).

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
FWIW, I have never come across a dud Israeli Red, and have used a good many of them over the years. That does not mean that there are not duds out there.

All blade manufacturers occasionally pump a dud off the line. If you get one, that is not necessarily an indictment of the entire production run. Toss it and try another one.

But if you get two or three 'bad' blades off a tuck, then it is more likely that the blade is simply not a good fit for your face. "Bad' is subjective, and every face is different.

Years ago, the Israeli Red could be considered a poor man's German Wilkinson to my face, as it had roughly similar shaving characteristics, but didn't last quite as long, but cost considerably less money. But that is no longer the case, and the remaining Reds out there are a bit overpriced nowadays, and there are IMO better blades available for the same money.

I'm also hoping you have no issues and it was just one blade bad experience for me because the other blades from the same lot I have used have been great and also fairly long lasting. They are normally a sharp and smooth blade. I also bought from a reputable dealer so I'm expecting many more good shaves from the Blue/White Reds lot I purchased earlier this year...Personna blade varieties are indeed confusing. I like really sharp blades and my favorites have been Nacet, GSB, 7 O'Clock Black, Feather, and Israeli Reds. These all have been sharp and smooth for me.

Thank you, Sir.
I prefer sharper blades as well. I regularly use Feather, 7 O'Clock yellow, IR and german Wilkinson Sword. In addition I received good results with the blue Astra Stainless Steel... the blue Astras felt way sharper and smoother in my face than their green siblings.

Last edited:
Personna has been little more than a brand name without a single company for some time.

The Virginia USA blade facility making Personnas was privately acquired from Energizer's parent company a few years back, and now operates under a new company called Accutec. As I stated above, they continue to make first-tier blades under the Personna brand name. There was never any corporate relation between this Virginia facility and other blade makers using the Personna name.

The Israeli 'Red' Personnas were a product of Edgewell, who like Gillette, runs facilities across the world and markets blades under many trade names. My understanding is that Edgewell shut down the old Israeli blade facility in 2018, and production was relocated to Germany alongside Edgewell's other major lines. Any Israeli 'Reds' you are finding for sale are technically NOS at this point (which is why the price keeps creeping up on them).

This is very interesting information. Thank you for sharing.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
FWIW, I have never come across a dud Israeli Red, and have used a good many of them over the years. That does not mean that there are not duds out there.

All blade manufacturers occasionally pump a dud off the line. If you get one, that is not necessarily an indictment of the entire production run. Toss it and try another one.

But if you get two or three 'bad' blades off a tuck, then it is more likely that the blade is simply not a good fit for your face. "Bad' is subjective, and every face is different.

Years ago, the Israeli Red could be considered a poor man's German Wilkinson to my face, as it had roughly similar shaving characteristics, but didn't last quite as long, but cost considerably less money. But that is no longer the case, and the remaining Reds out there are a bit overpriced nowadays, and there are IMO better blades available for the same money.

Well FWIW, I received a box of 200 dud Israeli "Red" Personna blades. Just to confirm this I gave a tuck to a friend who also confirmed this. Furthermore, to be absolutely certain I bought the same blades from WCS, and those were the real deal and shaved fine, but not as well as the lab blues I purchased years ago. The rest of what was left of the 200 blades went in the trash where they belonged to start with.
No matter, as I already stated, there are too many other and better blades out there to stress over one brand, and everyone is different.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Well FWIW, I received a box of 200 dud Israeli "Red" Personna blades. Just to confirm this I gave a tuck to a friend who also confirmed this. Furthermore, to be absolutely certain I bought the same blades from WCS, and those were the real deal and shaved fine, but not as well as the lab blues I purchased years ago. The rest of what was left of the 200 blades went in the trash where they belonged to start with.
No matter, as I already stated, there are too many other and better blades out there to stress over one brand, and everyone is different.

I’m not aware of these blades ever being offered in boxes of 200, or in barber pack quantities. It was always a consumer retail-market blade, and should have come in 100-count display sleeves. A box of them in 200-quantity is a red flag on them being legit prime quality stock.

This blade is now out of production. So besides the inevitable price rise exceeding good value that comes with NOS product, you have to be alert to un-destroyed seconds and rejects being peddled as prime stock. This is not a blade I would expect to see counterfeited, as it was not a huge seller even when it was in production.

You are correct in that there many excellent alternatives available, and this is not a blade I would scour the globe over.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I got some Red Personna blades from Amazon and it was a blood bath. They went back and I got refunded.

Lol. I’ve heard younger shavers say the same thing about perfectly fine Feathers.

The beauty of today’s DE market with the internet at your fingertips is that you have about 5x the blade choices us old timers once had at the corner Sunray.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I’m not aware of these blades ever being offered in boxes of 200, or in barber pack quantities. It was always a consumer retail-market blade, and should have come in 100-count display sleeves. A box of them in 200-quantity is a red flag on them being legit prime quality stock.

This blade is now out of production. So besides the inevitable price rise exceeding good value that comes with NOS product, you have to be alert to un-destroyed seconds and rejects being peddled as prime stock. This is not a blade I would expect to see counterfeited, as it was not a huge seller even when it was in production.

You are correct in that there many excellent alternatives available, and this is not a blade I would scour the globe over.

200 blade boxes, containing 20 10 blade tucks of Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Reds) blades are now omnipresent, Google is your friend. I suspect you've not read this entire thread.

Over and out,
De NB2B

Top Bottom