What's new

Bad Personna (Israeli) Red Blades

They are the same blades, BUT I wonder if perhaps since Edgewell bough the co. that perhaps something happened in the Israeli plant not to the liking of the workers so...….:whistling:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
20180214_173058.jpg
20180214_173211.jpg
20180214_173058.jpg These are the pics of what I received

The Personna platinum chrome are my goto blades. Here is the packaging that gave them the nickname "Israeli Red" blades (photos from WCS site):
red-personna-israeli-double-edge-razor-blades_272x.jpg
And here is what I call the UK blue and white packaging:
red-personna-israeli-double-edge-razor-blades-uk-packaging-100-blades_561x.jpg
To my face, I can't tell a difference, but others' opinions are different. I had not seen the packaging shown above this post, so I do wonder if the new parent company changed something.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The Personna platinum chrome are my goto blades. Here is the packaging that gave them the nickname "Israeli Red" blades (photos from WCS site):
View attachment 939869
And here is what I call the UK blue and white packaging:
View attachment 939870
To my face, I can't tell a difference, but others' opinions are different. I had not seen the packaging shown above this post, so I do wonder if the new parent company changed something.

The picture above you post is from the box of 200 blades I bought on amazon, which included 20 of the white plastic tucks. On the side of the packs is the printed numbers 7236. 20190101_102911.jpg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Ah, thanks for clarifying that @Frednb2b. I just checked my packs, purchased in 2016, and there are no numbers.

Your welcome Eric.
The blade issue was a mystery to me, but since I have started doing business with more reputable dealers directly I have been very happy with the quality, service, and prices.

~Fred~

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I used a red blade in my dart believing that it was a new blade because i had the handle tight as when i load a new blade. (After a use i unscrew the handle to let it dry) so this blade in my dart was horrible i felt a rough tugging of my whiskers. I took a 3 day shave holiday and then tossed the suspect bade and popped a new p red in the dart and boom back to normal wonderful shave. So i can only attribute this to one bad blade? Has anyone experienced this?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Well I guess I solved the mystery regarding my bad experience regarding my purchase of a pack of 200 personna blades in the white and blue 10 blade tucks that I purchased from Amazon, and found to be dull and rough on my face. I purchased another 100 from West Coast Shaving to see if my experience would differ by using a reputable dealer. They arrived yesterday and I used the first one this morning. I can say that I found the blade from WCS to be sharp and smooth, a vast contrast in performance from the blades purchased from Amazon. In comparing the new blades to the ones first purchased I can see absolutely no differences in appearance whatsoever. Packaging, blades, and even wrapping is exactly the same, but the performance is like night and day. I suspect the first ones were in fact NOT counterfeit, but simply from a bad lot that made it into the sales chain. The lot numbers printed on the sides of the tucks are the only difference I could find. I will continue to purchase all my shaving products from reputable dealers such as WCS to help insure I avoid purchasing inferior products.

Oh boy - I have a 10 count tuck of the white plastic package with the blue and red writing. I got them in a sample pack. I'm curious to use it and hope I'm not disappointed in their performance.

I used a red blade in my dart believing that it was a new blade because i had the handle tight as when i load a new blade. (After a use i unscrew the handle to let it dry) so this blade in my dart was horrible i felt a rough tugging of my whiskers. I took a 3 day shave holiday and then tossed the suspect bade and popped a new p red in the dart and boom back to normal wonderful shave. So i can only attribute this to one bad blade? Has anyone experienced this?

I had the same experience with the reds (red cardboard box of five blades in red individual wrappings). Out of the 5 blades in the same(!) box 3 were excellent, one was a bit too smooth but still ok and one was terribly harsh on the face causing an amount of redness I have never seen on my neck before. This is so bad because the good ones are exceptional blades but due to this level of inconsistency I will not buy these in bulk.

And I will not buy them because you can never know what version you get. You order reds and you get blues nowadays. :) Why is it called reds then? Now there are blues which are blue (i.e. lab blue, med prep), a reds which are red (original israeli reds) and a reds which are blue (new israeli reds with blue label). Not to mention that there are "Israeli" blades that are made in the U.S.A. They cannot be serious.... :D

I had the same experience with the reds (red cardboard box of five blades in red individual wrappings). Out of the 5 blades in the same(!) box 3 were excellent, one was a bit too smooth but still ok and one was terribly harsh on the face causing an amount of redness I have never seen on my neck before. This is so bad because the good ones are exceptional blades but due to this level of inconsistency I will not buy these in bulk.

And I will not buy them because you can never know what version you get. You order reds and you get blues nowadays. :) Why is it called reds then? Now there are blues which are blue (i.e. lab blue, med prep), a reds which are red (original israeli reds) and a reds which are blue (new israeli reds with blue label). Not to mention that there are "Israeli" blades that are made in the U.S.A. They cannot be serious.... :D
Had the same issue. In my case they were the Personna's in the blue/white plastic case. In general, most blades were good, but had a few bad ones in the mix. Very inconsistent quality.

Red packs are tied for top honors. I will not buy the Europe reds in blue packaging again. I bought a 100 pack and they are not the same to my face.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

I had forgotten about that and am happy to report after using the reds pretty much all the time, that hasn't happened to me again. I share your frustration about the different blades but ive had good luck buying reds in bulk the blade tucks are on a cardboard holder.

I had a similar experience with the red Personnas. I used some blades from a tuck that was included in a sampler I got a couple of years age and bragged about how great they were. I ordered 100 from Smallflower after running out of the tuck I had and it was like using Sharks - very harsh and rough - thoroughly unpleasant. It was as if they just stopped doing QC on their product. Wound up throwing most of them away. :07:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have since given up on personna blades altogether, and now enjoy Feather blades very much. It's as if the Rockwell 6C was made for them.

I have since given up on personna blades altogether, and now enjoy Feather blades very much. It's as if the Rockwell 6C was made for them.

Glad to hear that your Rockwell 6C is getting along nicely with Feather blades. Which plate are you using ?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Glad to hear that your Rockwell 6C is getting along nicely with Feather blades. Which plate are you using ?

If I shave every other day plate 3 gives me an effortless smooth shave. If I go 2 days then plate 4, three days plate 5. If I need to shave every day then plate 2. I just love how the feather blades just glide through my beard so effortlessly with a very light touch, and very rarely any need for pickups.
Other blades I also enjoy in the Rockwell are Rapira platinum lux and Derby Premium, but I go up one level on the plates with those compared to the feather. Nacets are another blade that I enjoy very much in the 6C, but Feather blades are #1 for me.☺

If I shave every other day plate 3 gives me an effortless smooth shave. If I go 2 days then plate 4, three days plate 5. If I need to shave every day then plate 2. I just love how the feather blades just glide through my beard so effortlessly with a very light touch, and very rarely any need for pickups.
Other blades I also enjoy in the Rockwell are Rapira platinum lux and Derby Premium, but I go up one level on the plates with those compared to the feather. Nacets are another blade that I enjoy very much in the 6C, but Feather blades are #1 for me.☺

It's great when everything comes together to create the perfect shave.
For me and my Rockwell 6C, plate 4 with a Nacet blade is sublime.
The Feather blade works extremely well in my Timeless Bronze, and I
still enjoy wonderful shaves with the Israeli Red Personna loaded into
my Elite Razor 34C.
:a14::a14::a14::a14::a14:

Top Bottom