What's new

Bad Form?

Generally speaking I would say you shouldn't ever ask for a gift to be returned. Not a good look.

However, in the case of your brother, I would say it depends on the kind of relationship you two have. If you're super close, have no secrets, can talk about anything, and bust each other's chops without anyone getting offended I would say you could ask for it back. Maybe start off by giving him a hard time about not using it and see where it goes. Who knows, maybe he wants to get rid of it and is only keeping it because you gave it to him.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! No surprises from this group of gentlemen. I'll leave it be or maybe just use it next time I'm over at his place haha.

Gave my brother a mild razor and a brush once, but for him shaving remained a blood sport. He told me he stopped using the razor, but I would never ask him to return it. However, to invert the situation, does anyone think it's bad form for him not to return it spontaneously? Just to be clear, I don't care one way or the other- can't even remember what razor it was.

Last Father's day I put together a shaving package for my brother and my dad with a brush, blades, soap samples, and a razor. My dad got a slim and my brother got a 34C. Dad gave it a whirl for a while and enjoyed it but after some chronic pain issues he's back to his electric. I don't miss the slim but I kinda miss the 34C and brochacho hasn't touched his setup. Would it be bad form to ask for it back until he wants to give it a shot?
Yes, it would be very bad form to ever ask for a gift back.

This is what happens when you give someone a gift because you like it, not because they like it. Once it passes into their hands, it belongs to them - bad form to ask for it to be returned.

I suspect that many of those NIB or lightly used vintage razors we see up for sale on ebay were unwanted gifts that were put in a drawer somewhere and forgotten, kept only because they were a gift from someone close.

I fear we shall all get a lot more bored before this thing is over.

Yesterday I was beginning to feel bored. My son-in-law and his father have a shop a third of a mile from me. I dropped in there for a few minutes. They build 1967 Corvettes (licensed by GM) with wider than factory bodies for wide low profile tires. My son-in-law explained his idea for a fixture to hold a hood securely while they vigorously sand it by hand, etc. I was busy the rest of the day and will be today, too, at minimum, welding and fitting this fixture. Meanwhile, a friend phoned to ask for help over the phone with her computer and my wife wanted a large broken limb sawn out of a tree. Right now, I am very busy.

When one gives a shaving gift, one not only gives the item itself, but along with it message that one holds the recipient in high regard. The gift says, "I respect and esteem you as a gentleman." The recipient may or may not use the item now or in the future but it will always be a reminder to them of your relationship.

Definitely bad form.

Get replacements.

Now, if you feel really attached to those items, make the suggestion to gift something that they really like/use and they can exchange those original gifts.

It would be a win-win, they get something they really like/use, you get your items back.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom