What's new

Bad Fatboy! Bad!

So yesterday I decided to try out my Fatboy. First time it's entered the rotation and I was excited to give it a try. After my shower and lathering, threw in a Personna Red blade, set it to 3 and started out. WTG pass went very smooth. Didn't feel very aggressive which I expected and everything seemed fine. Re-lathered and prepared to do my XTG pass. Everything seemed to be going fine on the one side then started on my mustache area when all of a sudden the blade to seem to be really pulling and didn't feel comfortable at all. The blood began to flow a little but I continued on as I thought maybe I wasn't getting my angle right or something I was doing wasn't right. Finished up the other side of my face with a few nicks too and a little irritation. Was starting to wonder *** and checked my razor. I then found my problem. Somehow, where it was when I was turning the razor in my hand to use the other side of the blade or some other reason I couldn't come up with, I'd somehow managed to loosen the TTO knob causing the doors to open slightly and allowing my blade to become very loose in the razor. Basiclly there was enough room for it to float up and down a bit. Felt kind of stupid but I tightened it up and did an ATG pass with no problem. Still don't know how I managed to loosen the knob but damn it was not a good feeling trying to shave with a loose blade. I can see myself constantly checking the tightness any time I use the Fatboy in the future.

That razor shouldnt come loose like that.Are you locking down the razor when you put the blade in? This is done when you shut the doors then a gentle turn after the doors are closed and you will feel it kind of lock.This will insure that it does not come loose.Never try to adjust settings in this position.

When you tighten the Fatboy (as well as slim) there should be another 1/4 turn or so after it is already tight to basically "lock" it in place. It should feel kinda springy when you do it. If yours doesn't have that 1/4 lock turn, try to put a few drops of mineral oil (baby oil works for me) down the shaft mechanism from top and bottom and twist it a few times. Once it is locked, it should be much harder to loosen the TTO knob by accident while shaving.

EDIT: Looks like Blackstangal beat me to it. :001_smile

I've done that before.
It's a general rule of the old TTO's that you have to mind the knob.
as noted from others (and more to come) give it a solid turn until it locks tight.

Don't get discouraged with the Fat Boy, it is an excellent razor.

When you tighten the Fatboy (as well as slim) there should be another 1/4 turn or so after it is already tight to basically "lock" it in place. It should feel kinda springy when you do it. If yours doesn't have that 1/4 lock turn, try to put a few drops of mineral oil (baby oil works for me) down the shaft mechanism from top and bottom and twist it a few times. Once it is locked, it should be much harder to loosen the TTO knob by accident while shaving.

EDIT: Looks like Blackstangal beat me to it. :001_smile

+1. Gotta lock the Fatboy and the Slim.

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the extra 1/4 turn. That was probably my problem and the reason it came loose. I can say without a doubt that it was not a pleasant experience.

i did the same thing with my slim. i felt like such a noob because i keep my pinky around the nob and i must of loosened it and had the same results as you

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Knob lock or no knob lock, paying attention to the handle while you are shaving pays off in dividends.

The act of turning the razor in the hand, swishing it in the sink etc, all can contribute to a loose knob.

Your not the first guy to experience it, but it appears anyone who does, never experiences it a second time.

I've done this once... just once :)
It wasn't that bad actually, but in my case the sound changed dramatically - so whether you feel a difference or not, if the sound changes, then it may have become loose. Just make sure you crank it down an extra quarter turn or so after it becomes tight.

Don't worry too much about twisting it too tight. You'd probably need a pair of pliers to break it. Just consider it a lesson learned and give the Fatboy a fair shake - it is an excellent shaver.

Knob lock or no knob lock, paying attention to the handle while you are shaving pays off in dividends.

The act of turning the razor in the hand, swishing it in the sink etc, all can contribute to a loose knob.

Your not the first guy to experience it, but it appears anyone who does, never experiences it a second time.

The whole act you decribe is exactly what I do and I thought that may have had something to do with it as well maybe on top of me not tightening it enough.

That being said, I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience it and yes it will never happen again. My face couldn't handle it. Also, I will say that when it was tight I did like the way it shaved. I won't remove the Fatboy from the rotation as I do want to give it a fair chance. The next test will being getting it dialed in to that perfect setting.

Top Bottom