What's new

Bacon from a butcher!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When we were kids we'd make fun of the food the Beverly Hillbillies ate. I loved the sound of "sowbelly." Years later I learned that in fact sowbelly is only available to most of us today at a butcher shop, and that it is now $10 a pound bacon. And that it is vastly superior to that carcinogenic 'thing' boxed and sold as bacon in the supermarket.

Pretty soon I'll be eating hog jowls and possum innards.

When we were kids we'd make fun of the food the Beverly Hillbillies ate. I loved the sound of "sowbelly." Years later I learned that in fact sowbelly is only available to most of us today at a butcher shop, and that it is now $10 a pound bacon. And that it is vastly superior to that carcinogenic 'thing' boxed and sold as bacon in the supermarket.

Salted hog jowls are delicious. Called "guanciale" in Italian, it is a primary ingredient in pasta carbonara and pasta amatriciana. It tastes like bacon's smarter older brother.

Funny that you say that because I made my own bacon. It's fairly easy to do. I went to the butcher shop, bought a pork belly (3-4 lb?), cured it and smoked it on the grill. It was delicious.

My girlfriend turned me on to her butcher. It's so good! Shown is regular bacon and proper back bacon. 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤
20210509_092944.jpg
20210509_100216.jpg
20210509_092944.jpg
20210509_100216.jpg
20210411_104917.jpg
20210404_092643.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I remember grocery shopping in the early 80s. First stop was the butcher shop for meat, then grocery store for everything else. The butcher always had good dinner ideas. Now the butcher is only available in high end shops, and aren’t as good as the old butchers.

We often buy back bacon at the farmers market. It is good stuff, fresh from the farm up the road. No comparison to the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Jumping in on this one! Thought I knew bacon. Then moved to a small town, where our local market/butcher sells his own thick cut bacon that is so heavenly that we have sworn off the vacuum packed stuff. Nom nom nom!

Top Bottom