What's new

Bacon, Canadian and otherwise!

Bought me a nice boneless pork loin at the local meat packers along with a "fresh side" (a half pork belly) today. I have a buddy who is Irish and he's been missing Irish bacon (typically unsmoked back bacon) so I thought I'd try that, and this is the second pork belly I've made into bacon.

I used some allspice on the first bacon, and it's too strong, cut way back on it and used some sage on half, will see how that works.

I dry cured both, plan to let the Canadian/Irish bacon cure for two weeks. I'm not in a big hurry and I'd rather know I have a complete cure than get uncured centers in stuff I plan to give out for Xmas presents.

The loin was much cheaper than the side, guess they keep most of them to make their own bacon (which is really good, actually, just not heavily smoked).

Just what I need, another hobby, eh?

There's always another hobby around the corner. I started roasting coffee this year. If you enjoy it, then it's a great way to spend your time.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Bacon is soaking in water (it's always too salty for me so it gets ah hour or so to reduce the salt) and then on the the smoker. Now I have to get my yanagiba fixed so I can slice it properly.....

There's always another hobby around the corner. I started roasting coffee this year. If you enjoy it, then it's a great way to spend your time.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Aww coffee. Same here I referbish vintage lever espresso machines as a hobby.

I do coffee too. Wine, beer, gardening, canning, photography, fiber (weaving, knitting, etc) -- I don't really need any more hobbies.....

Some of my refurbs. Twins.jpg Three.jpeg Faemina-Long.jpg Tear-Down.JPG Contact-Sheet.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I anticipate taking delivery of a few pork jowls early in the new year ... apparently, it's "face bacon", so that should be interesting.

Top Bottom