What's new

Backups and replacement for shaving stuff...

Do you buy spares or backups for your shaving needs?

• Absolutely, for everything.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Only for things that are or are going to be discontinued.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Only for software.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Only for hardware

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • No, I get something new and move on.

• Backups what!?

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I have backups for my backups

• Total voters
Just for things I'm afraid may be discontinued. Got 3 tubs of the soap too.
IMG_20181119_150423673.jpg

G

GroomedWoodchuck

I have backups of my three only razors, any of which could be a desert island razor. I sold all my others and keep it strictly to these three now. All of them aren't readily available, so I don't feel bad having duplicates. I don't have backups of brushes, but I have six and any would do if one croaked. Blades are an interesting subject because one blade type I may hate in one razor, but love in another. I tried many different blades in my razors and found them not to be nearly as good, so I am a bit paranoid about running out of a given blade type. This is compounded by the fact that some of the blades are no longer manufactured. As a result, I typically keep my two favorite DE blade brands well stocked with a couple thousand of each so I don't have to worry about it - especially if they are no longer made. I also use DE blades for one (maybe two max) shaves before I start to have problems, so I go through them quicker than some. Shaving soap - I prefer Sterling Soap Company and have a few different scents, so I feel well stocked there. For my needs, good software is more readily available than hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's a sale on something I like that I already have I might buy, but I wait until it's broken or used up before replacing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I first started DE traditional shaving, My first back-up was Mingshi 2000 I' thought that was a good deal for $8.00 Canadian and the second was my first BBS on a Razorock 37 German slant and only bought the head just in case I lost or wore it out -$16.00 Can :001_tongu.
Now I don't buy backups unless it's a aftershave splash I like and shipping costs are taken into account.

I found an artisan AS splash recently that I like, & more importantly, my wife likes. They are closing end of year & have reduced their prices, so I've purchased 10 bottles. I figure that should last me a week or 2!

I only get backups for soaps and aftershaves that I really like for one reason or another.
Soon though, I'll be buying double of Reuzel aftershave, even though it's my first purchase.

I too have backups for the backups. Razors and brushes. Blades and soaps are considered consumables so, even if I have multiples of each (like 34 Palmolive sticks, or 4000 Astra SPs, to list just a few) I wouldn't consider them backups.

:001_005:

I have backups for all my different shaving locations, RV, Pool building, and travel dopp bag. All are different , but preform the same operation. It is like a forced change of routine. I don't keep track of which products I have at each location. I just know it is well stocked.
MM879

I bought a dozen pucks of AOS Sandalwood Tallow about a year ago since it's my favorite soap and it was no longer being made. I don't see it readily available any longer, so I'm glad I got it when I could.

I also have an extra Feather AS-D2 since it's my favorite razor.

I believe that someone who knows well his tools, always gets good results. And as such, if you are sure that you will have the same tools, you will always get good results. It is also a very good excuse to justify the impulse buys that i did, when i discovered Amazon in 2011-2012. :302:
- Razors: Backups of backups. The razor is most critical part for the perfect shave to me. Once you find the razors that always work, stick with them, don't search further.
- Brushes: Boars, all except three models, have backups or backups of backups. Badgers: 2 have backups. Synthetics: 8 Yaqis between plissofts and tuxedos. Not exactly backups, but close.
- Blades: My sons in law will have ample supply after my death. If Gillette suddenly buys all major plants and shuts them down to sell cartridge everywhere, i am ready.
- Soaps/creams: Backups or backups of backups, but it was not intentional. More a combination of acquisition disorder and Amazon putting terrific deals in front of my face or needing something to add to the cart to get free shipping in other stores. Except for Haslinger, when i heard it was removing tallow. That was intentional.
- Aftershaves: No, because even if Gillette somehow manages to kill the DE blade industry, aftershaves will still be sold.

Top Bottom