What's new

Backups and replacement for shaving stuff...

Do you buy spares or backups for your shaving needs?

• Absolutely, for everything.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Only for things that are or are going to be discontinued.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Only for software.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Only for hardware

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • No, I get something new and move on.

• Backups what!?

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I have backups for my backups

• Total voters
I know some of you guys get backups for your favorite items but how many of you actually do it. I have brand new backups for soaps, razors and blades.

This thread comes from me noticing I have been buying spare razors and soaps that are my favorite or perform well.

No, too much good stuff to worry about back ups. I do buy replacements when things get low, usually to get free shipping with orders or if there is a high consumable like Thayers on Amazon were you could get a better deal if you buy 2 or 3. I suppose I may miss something if it ran out and it was no longer available, but I already buy more stuff then I probably need.
Steve

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I did for some software early on in my obsession but found i moved on from those few items and dont really use them

Just have a travel razor, DE89, which remains in the dopp bag. Too many of the other items to need backups.

I currently don't have a favorite anything. If I every hear that Omega is discontinuing using boar bristles, I will be buying a couple of brushes. Too many great choices out there!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have thought about it but nah. I have too much hardware now and the software is starting to build. I could really almost not buy a thing until I die. But we all know that the buying is never really going to stop.

I have thought about it but nah. I have too much hardware now and the software is starting to build. I could really almost not buy a thing until I die. But we all know that the buying is never really going to stop.
Must agree with this one!

I've too much of nearly everything to require identical back-ups. The only items I like to have a surplus of is my top tier blades; running out of Med Prep or GSB DE blades, or Kai Captain SE blades, would just be too traumatic.

Razors are pretty indestructible so no, though I did buy 2 PAL Injectomatics because they came up at a good price. I like to try different razors. If I hadn't gone beyond DE I'd never have discovered the ATT SE1 which is my current favourite. No backups for soaps - I have over 30 artisans and the chances of finishing any single one in the rotation are slight. Pointless buying the same brush, though I do have a couple of 26mm Tuxedos with different handles. As for blades, not having backups would be weird....

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't have two of any razor, but I have several razors, so I don't need duplicates. I'm awaiting receipt of a MWF soap, and will buy another before that one runs out, but I have some locally made soaps I have to use up first. I do have a few spare sticks of Palmolive. I'm also well stocked with blades, and have a spare bottle of nivea shave balm.

I have one spare brush which was bought for me as part of a gift set. Aside from that, I have one brush in the bathroom, and one in the travel washbag.

I have one (half really) alum block, no duplicate EdT, no spare mug or scuttle, and one strop.

In time, I'll settle down with just a couple of soaps, a few blade brands, one lotion (splash), and one balm. I'll keep a range of different razor types though, from DE to straight.

OK, so, I selected ‘Backups what?’, but only because none of the others fit, exactly. I have backups of some soaps because I worry the artisans may go out of business. I have enough of my razor blade brand to last me five years because, well, just because. I have a couple of aftershaves that, when they run out, I may replace with the same thing or may change it up a bit . . .

Just have the one razor and the one brush, a shaving bowl and a scuttle for winter.

When I find a duplicate in an antique store or at a yard sale for a low price I buy it and keep it as a backup or pif item. For example, I found a slim in beautiful condition for $12 in an antique shop. The slim I already owned was in average condition, and I paid almost triple for it. Now I own two slims. I own three black beauties, and way too many techs and super speeds, all acquired the same way. I gave away several techs and super speeds to friends, family, and pifs. I even gave away a pif of an adjustable aristocrat (gold slim) that I found in the wild for $8. Goldfinger Razor
My favourite everyday soaps are Williams, Arko, and Palmolive, so I stocked up on those. Does that count as backup?
Please don't ask me about blades.

I have used the same razor for 30+ years. When I started shaving good products could be purchased in the local drugstore. Gillette blades, razors. Avon was abundantly available from the neighborhood Avon lady. Then the great shave depression of the late ‘80’s until around 2000. Neighborhood stores were bought by bigger companies, same with aftershave and soaps. Recipes changed, it was dark times friends. So I do buy backups of my favorite shave items, preparing for the inevitable return of scarcity. If I had known then what I know now, I would have had backups. I just thought I would always be able to go to the local drugstore and get my favorites.

I do have a couple of back up soaps, one discontinued and one has been reformulated-I like the old formula better, I also have several Super Speeds and fatboys but these will be traded/PIF'd. Blades I don't really see as back up as when I need blades I buy 200-300 at a time to get free shipping

Backups of favorites seemed a good idea my first couple of years. Then I realized that by the time the backups were needed, they weren't my favorites anymore and the backups wound up in a box in the basement to be sold or PIF'd. For the past 5 years I've used a Merkur 34G exclusively and fought the urge to buy a backup. I'm glad I didn't buy that backup because I really like the GC (.68) I got this month. My favorite 34G is now my backup and I'm glad I don't have a second unused one in that basement box. I do have 700+ blades (Astra SP & IP Red), but they've been my favorite blades in every DE I've used the past 9 years, from Superspeeds and Techs to Merkur and GC. I change blades every 2 shaves, so they won't go to waste.

I believe a prepared person is in better shape than one who is ill-prepared. Taking care of what I can, I do like having a back-up, but not a "surplus". If an item becomes a ghost or made of unobtainium, I can seek out a replacement that is not AND keep my eye open for sightings in the wild.
For software, what I tend to order 2 of the software items(soap, cream, AS Lotion, and Cologne) and when I open the last one, I order another, IF I want to remain committed to that particular flavor. It also helps to limit a glut of software.
For hardware, I have not finished my blade order from December of '17. I have given away different tucks along the way and still have not knocked out my blade inventory. I have (4) spare 102A heads. I have plenty of 102's, and at least one extra of each of my preferred vintage razors. Of my brushes, I have actually enjoyed rehabbing vintage ones more than buying new ones.
In the end if any of the "spares" are no longer preferred, they become shave den decor until it is time for them to find a new forever home.

I follow the old Navy Seal maxim...”two is one and one is none.”

Once I find something that I like using, I make sure that I have plenty of backups. And yes, that even includes my favorite razors. Two Blackbirds, two RR GC84, three Timeless (slightly different configurations). With software, once I find products that don’t irritate my skin, I stock up on my favorites...case in point, just purchased 430 Gillette Nacet blades.

I have had it happen too many times in the past where companies either change formulations or where hardware quality starts to degrade over time as companies try to cut costs and raise their profit margins.

I enjoy wet shaving too much to worry about things out of my control causing my enjoyment to diminish or my results to suffer...small price to pay.

Top Bottom