What's new

Backpacking meals/food

I’ve recently went on a backpacking trip , see my post about Kennedy meadows. one of my dehydrated meals was disappointing and that sucked because you really look forward to meals. So I’ve looked into different options and how different people plan meals.
I found some DIY meals from grocery store items. So I’m adding this to my meal plan. It is actually good enough to make at home.
1 pack of ramen
1/4 cup Parmesan
1Tbsp dry parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper. I’m heave handed here
1/8 salt. You need this because you discard the ramen flavor packet
1Tbsp olive oil
I added a packet of cooked chicken. Like the tuna packets. enjoyed it. Well I also had some olives and tomato that I won’t have on the trail but still a thumbs up.
D88308CF-6E73-4A2B-88BA-5075D3793B87.jpeg

I've backpacked for years, and I use a dehydrator to prepare my evening meals. They are so much better tasting than those freeze dried meals, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

Haven't been in years, but regularly did this.

• Pick a carb base, potato flakes, pasta, ramen, cuscus, bread, etc.
  • Pick a protein, canned chicken, canned tuna, canned beef, dehydrated ground beef, steak strips (winter), eggs (winter), bacon
  • Add veggies, carrots, peas, etc.
  • Add sauce (optional), gravy, salad dressing, ketchup packets, tomato paste, honey, cheese, etc.
  • Add seasoning of choice, a mix, or garlic, salt, pepper
  • Or soup with some of above choices
Boost calories with olive oil when possible.

Steam bake something delicious like muffins, fry bread, corn cakes.

The dehydrated meals are passable, work in a pinch, but better options are available with a bit of planning.

You could always buy the Department of Corrections Inmate Cookbook for minimal prep trail meals. Most recipes can be made with foods easily bought at gas stations and truck stops before you hit the trails.

Quit backpacking ages ago but used GORP&M&Ms, beef jerky and Mountain House. Still keep a few cases of MH around as prep food. Not terrible and I use it for off-road overnights in my Land Cruiser rather than cook.

Lentil curry & fresh nan bread is a firm favourite. Light to carry, keeps a long time, and fairly fuel-efficient.

At home make a thick curry paste with onion, garlic, ginger, tomato puree and spices and dry it out as much as you can over a gentle heat.

Alternatively make onion leathers with the same ingredients (minus the spices - carry them separately).

In camp: the bread dough needs to be mixed the night before to let the texture develop (the usual: strong flour with high protein content, yeast and salt - plus a sprinkle of Nigella seeds). You don't need to knead it. Time will do that for you.

Red split lentils cook very quickly. Just bring them to the boil, mix in the curry paste, and set aside while you make nan bread in a dry pan over your camping stove. Flour the nan first and give the pot a shake regularly. Don't let it stick!

By the time you've made the nan bread the lentils will have softened up and are ready to eat.

Found this dehydrated humus mix at a Persian market. I have some olive oil packets and true lemon crystals. I think it will be good on a tortilla.
D3118C4B-0F8F-40EC-BE98-38CC9C8393E9.jpeg

Quit backpacking ages ago but used GORP&M&Ms, beef jerky and Mountain House. Still keep a few cases of MH around as prep food. Not terrible and I use it for off-road overnights in my Land Cruiser rather than cook.
I worked for a large chain sport/ fishing store and got a super deal on mountain house and backpackers pantry. So I stocked up for emergency supplies. Some are good, some are decent and some downright disappointing. 😄

im going to bring maybe two dinners from what I have on hand and bring other home made options.
my last trip I brought tortillas, avocado and hot sauce packets. We caught trout and made backcountry fish tacos. That’s in my plans this trip as well. Even if I don’t get fish I can be satisfied with dinner.
191A155A-F57F-47D0-8290-B72EAEF8F731.jpeg

This was the beans I like. I’ve ordered dehydrated beans but these pouches of beans are super handy even though they are not exactly ultra light.
FD4F49C3-5A1B-4547-8CAD-1A0FCEE33EEE.jpeg

🤔 With bacon jerky, even better, I'd bet!

A nice video find, thanks!

AA
I assembled three of these today. A box of stuffing and a bag of mashed potatoes makes exactly three. I cooked one up for lunch and it was really good. A bit salty but a large portion and tasty. I used two packets of chicken. The wife had a taste test and she approved also.

I ordered some dehydrated items from Harmony House to experiment with. This YouTube dude inspired me. i make a black bean sweet potato enchiladas at home that are very filling. So I’m going to try and invent a black bean sweet potato walking taco.

9D921117-CB82-44A5-9CA6-FD8EA5EA03E1.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You're definitely on to something.

In WWII (Pacific) Japanese mess kits were well-regarded. I have one (Hangou). The difference between ours and theirs, ours was meant for eating cooked chow. The Japanese were expected to cook their own in the field, so the kit is made for boiling rice. So I usually hike with dried rice and stuff to add. Bouillon cubes, jerky etc.

AA

Just returned from a camping/backpacking trip. Two days to acclimate to altitude then backpacking two days. Then three days at base camp before returning home. The thanksgiving meal I posted a video was a hit. I made an extra for my friend. He liked it a lot. The humus made in a bag worked also. It needed hot sauce.
F51EFE7B-86B7-478E-A916-6F65D91D9ED6.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I haven’t done much backpacking recently but when I did it was Backpackers pantry or Mountain House. They were ok, calorie dense and loaded with Sodium which was a plus after a long day carrying a pack in the Texas heat.

Top Bottom