What's new

Back to wet shaving after a hiatus

Greetings everyone,

I am back to wet shaving after a very long hiatus....probably 6+ years. I don't remember why I stopped but I recently started over and purchased all new items as I cannot find my old wet shaving kit.

I found a very nice (like new) Gillette Super Speed on eBay, and I purchased that along with Proraso shave cream and aftershave, and Voskhod blades. I finally had my first shave this morning, and everything went well except for one very small nick on my neck which is pretty sensitive.

I do not have very thick hair, and it's not very coarse either but one thing I did notice was it felt like there was some blade resistance while shaving. Looking for any advice on that...technique? Blades? The Super Speed itself?

I also bought the Proraso after shave balm for sensitive skin, and I am really not too crazy about the smell of it. What is everyone's favorite after shave? I know scent is a matter of personal preference but would still like to hear what others use.

Overall I am really liking the wet shave experience once again.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Glad you are back. Happy shaves
Aftershave recommendations? Whoa there’s a million out there. Ymmv. If you don’t like Proraso try cella or stirling or tallow + steel or wet shave products or …..

Welcome back!

I like the way Nivea Sensitive balm works and feels. I'm sensitive to strong fragrances, so it's a little much when first applied, but I do like the scent when it chills the heck out. It's also available at Wal Mart I think, so I didn't have to wait to pick it up :)

Welcome to B&B.
one thing I did notice was it felt like there was some blade resistance while shaving. Looking for any advice on that...technique? Blades? The Super Speed itself?
It could be technique, blades or even the lather and preparation. There are too many variables so do a few experiments to find the problem but only change one thing at a time. The Shave Wiki {link top left of page} is useful.
Use a moisturiser after the shave and Nivea balm is readily available.

Welcome, friend.

I would recommend some Lucky Tiger. That stuff is magic!
1625936646983.png

Welcome back! Do you like aftershave splash or balms? I suggest checking out the Aftershaves forum, you'll get some great recommendations there.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Welcome Skrimps. I gave away my Superspeeds and replaced them with more modern heavier razors like Rockwell’s. I also use the Personna Med Preps for blades. They are nice and sharp and made in the US.

Thanks everyone....good suggestions here. I prefer the aftershave balms, as they do tend to work better for my skin especially in the winter time (dryness). I will look into the suggestions thus far. I do like the Super Speed but recently purchased a Merkur 34C because of the overwhelming good feedback on it. However I am also looking into maybe a heavier adjustable as well....I was pretty happy with todays shave and plan to continue wet shaving. Just so many options and blade choices.

Just a quick update, I have been trying a few different razors in my stash and tried out the Merkur 23C. So far I have had 2 irritation and nick free shaves with the 23C. It's very mild which I like, and paired with the voskhod blade it cuts well and does not tug at all like a couple others that I tried. It seems to be very forgiving, especially for my neck which cuts and irritates easily. So far it has given me the best shave. I only shave with and across the grain (I do not desire a super smooth shave), but was able to go against the grain today with no irritation or cuts as well, so I think this is the right razor for me. I do have a nice vintage Gillette Tech coming, as I have heard that gives a mild shave as well.

I also tried the Nivea sensitive skin aftershave and I like that quite well, so thanks for the suggestions on that.

Just a quick update, I have been trying a few different razors in my stash and tried out the Merkur 23C. So far I have had 2 irritation and nick free shaves with the 23C. It's very mild which I like, and paired with the voskhod blade it cuts well and does not tug at all like a couple others that I tried. It seems to be very forgiving, especially for my neck which cuts and irritates easily. So far it has given me the best shave. I only shave with and across the grain (I do not desire a super smooth shave), but was able to go against the grain today with no irritation or cuts as well, so I think this is the right razor for me. I do have a nice vintage Gillette Tech coming, as I have heard that gives a mild shave as well.

I also tried the Nivea sensitive skin aftershave and I like that quite well, so thanks for the suggestions on that.
The Merkur 23C was my first DE razor years ago. I got good shaves with it considering my level of technique at the time. Next came a vintage Slim -- well, they're all vintage, aren't they? -- and a Red Tip, and I passed the 23C on to my lady friend for her use. The long handle works better for her than it did for me.

The Tech is a fantastic razor. There was a good reason Gillette made it for so long: It sold well. The reason it sold well? It works.

I have had 2 shaves with the Tech and I love it. I have another one on the way, as this will be my go to razor. The 23C shaved very close to the Tech, but I like the shorter handle of the Tech better. Still looking for a mint condition Tech as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom