What's new

Back to the Old Razor

I want something that really cleans my face in one pass--like my current Gillette.
I think they got the cartridge idea from men stacking two blades in their DE. I'm not recommending it, though. There is something about the thicker SE blades that gives them more capacity, apparently; I'm only a spectator, like you, as far as that goes.

What I've discovered recently is how one can generate cutting power from skin tension and more active angle selection, rather than fixed geometry. No hair is too tough for this approach. Not all razors allow low angle shaving, but some really, really cheap ones do!

You want to replicate a multiblade cart experience with a single blade?
You abhor carts yet find they work well with your beard, so well they give you a one pass shave?
You do not want an injector because they are too close to carts, yet the mongoose is intriguing, despite the fact it's almost the same shape?
These are inconsistent if not unattainable requirements.

The Mongoose is good because it gets to use the Feather single edge blade. If you had success with a DE blade shavette, you could try a CJB kamisori style shavette that takes the Feather blades.

Or, pick a DE such as a Superspeed, Slim, Old or NEW, get GSBs, Feathers or Polsilvers and keep practicing until you get it.

Or stick to the stuff that already gives you a great one pass shave....

. I used a straight edge disposable for a while (with Derby blades), but, while I learned the technique, my shaves were uneven. One area of my cheek would be clean, while another area right below the blade pass would have hair. My Gillette, however, offers a consistently close shave. Maybe the blades were to blame?
Sorry to be contrary, but if you get are able to get one part of your cheek clean while leaving hair in other parts....it's not the blade or the razor.

Welcome back to the forum!

I'm with tsimmns on this one. They're expensive, but the ATT open combs are tough to beat, and provide four options, mild, medium, aggressive and slant. Stan has a generous return policy, so you could buy all four, and keep only the one you like best. Or return them all for a full refund!

Polsilver Super Iridiums are the blades. No question about it.

For razors, it all depends. I like the NEW or the pre-war Tech.

Good luck.

Polsilver Super Iridiums are the blades. No question about it.

For razors, it all depends. I like the NEW or the pre-war Tech.

Good luck.

I just used a Polsilver for the first time yesterday. Great shave, but it felt a bit rough. I'm going to use them for about a week to see how they come alone. The shave, like I said, was top notch:thumbup:

You're right these are unattainable. I was curious about the Mongoose, but after reading about it more, I realize I want a DE. I do not need a one pass style razor--as I don't get one pass now. With one pass, the hair in the center of my cheeks is noticeably visible; where other places it is clean. With my current Gillette, I usually do 3 passes: With, against, then across the grain/clean up. My point about the Gillette disposables is that I don't get irritation, but I also think that has to do with my POST shave treatment! I have found the best AS! No questions asked: since I started using Everyman Jack aftershave lotion/face cream, my razor burn and irritation has been infinitely reduced.

You want to replicate a multiblade cart experience with a single blade?
You abhor carts yet find they work well with your beard, so well they give you a one pass shave?
You do not want an injector because they are too close to carts, yet the mongoose is intriguing, despite the fact it's almost the same shape?
These are inconsistent if not unattainable requirements.

The Mongoose is good because it gets to use the Feather single edge blade. If you had success with a DE blade shavette, you could try a CJB kamisori style shavette that takes the Feather blades.

Or, pick a DE such as a Superspeed, Slim, Old or NEW, get GSBs, Feathers or Polsilvers and keep practicing until you get it.

Or stick to the stuff that already gives you a great one pass shave....

You're right these are unattainable. I was curious about the Mongoose, but after reading about it more, I realize I want a DE. I do not need a one pass style razor--as I don't get one pass now. With one pass, the hair in the center of my cheeks is noticeably visible; where other places it is clean. With my current Gillette, I usually do 3 passes: With, against, then across the grain/clean up. My point about the Gillette disposables is that I don't get irritation, but I also think that has to do with my POST shave treatment! I have found the best AS! No questions asked: since I started using Everyman Jack aftershave lotion/face cream, my razor burn and irritation has been infinitely reduced.

I want something that really cleans my face in one pass--like my current Gillette.[\QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm confused....

When I say "cleans my face in one pass" I mean hair reduction. With my Gillette, I get a closer shave with one pass than I remember getting with my previous Merkur (years ago). I still need 3 passes, but I feel like the Gillette gets closer in one pass. In any case, I'm looking for recommendations for a DE that will provide a close shave with minimal passes for sensitive skin prone to razor burn and irritation.

Any thoughts on a DE that approximate this Gillette? No injectors. I just want something close and good for coarse hair.

How about a Merkur Futur. I've recently acquired one and its the best shave i've had so far ( I used a Feather blade) Mild to aggressive, it will do it all.

I purchased an Edwin Jagger Kelvin Safety Razor from Amazon about 3 months ago and it's now my favorite DE razor. It's made exclusively for Amazon. For me the handle length is perfect, the Jagger head does what it's supposed to do, and the knurling is just right.
$28.18 from Amazon.

Jeff

Your going to get RAD anyway...get one of each.
Get a good condition Gillette Red Tip, GEM 1912, and a Schick Injector.
Start the rotation now,and have fun :thumbup:

I hear you.

The left side of my neck has hair growing in different directions (top: right, bottom: left). If I am not super careful with my DE razor, I can feel the razor pull, and I get razor burn.

I also have a thick, curly beard. On my neck, the hair grows out sideways instead of straight out.

I use a Gillette 40's style Super Speed. Personna blue blades. I can't use really sharp blades, or I will get skin irritation.

As long as I shave with the grain (which is hard in the area where the grain changes orientation) and apply minimal pressure on the area, I usually have success.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged. It will take practice.

My beard is similar in some respects. The hair that WAS on my head was fine, but my beard is thicker and in certain spots it grows in all directions and grows along my skin curving back in rather than out. I always suffered from ingrowns using a cart, which was why I switched to a DE razor. Initially that just reduced the problem, but it was still a problem. Now it's a very minor problem, but it took well over a year of trying various techniques and products to figure some things out.

For DE blades I really like Polsilver SI, Personna Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, Wilkinson Sword and Feather. The Polsilver is the clear winner, but the Personna is quite good at less than half the price.

I find I can get great shaves with many different DE razors, but some of my favorites are: Feather AS-D2, Merkur Progress, Fatip, Razorock SS Slant, Ikon Slant and Gillette Fatboy. I have many others I really like, but these are must keep for me.

Recently I've been shaving with an adjustable Schick Injector and loving it. I find it too mild at settings 1-3, but similar to the Feather at 4 and quite efficient (but still easy to use) when up around 7. Using it is like shaving with a cart so it feels quite natural. I find the Injector gives me a nice even shave without worry and although the blades cost more, they do seem to last longer for me. Another plus is that there seemed to be plenty of these on ebay at fairly low prices. I look forward to trying more SE razors in the near future.

Two followup questions:

1) I was reading somewhere that most DE heads are identical, it's just the weight distribution, length, and style (open, knurled, slant, etc) that distinguish razors. Is this true? Are most heads the same?

2) Also, as far as I understand, aggressive means more blade exposure. Wouldn't that automatically indicate a better shave? Why would I want a duller blade or a less exposed blade?

Thanks

I was reading somewhere that most DE heads are identical, it's just the weight distribution, length, and style (open, knurled, slant, etc) that distinguish razors. Is this true? Are most heads the same?

Some are, some are definitely not, in my experience. There are certainly different "families".

Two followup questions:

1) I was reading somewhere that most DE heads are identical, it's just the weight distribution, length, and style (open, knurled, slant, etc) that distinguish razors. Is this true? Are most heads the same?

2) Also, as far as I understand, aggressive means more blade exposure. Wouldn't that automatically indicate a better shave? Why would I want a duller blade or a less exposed blade?

Thanks

I vote no on the first one. While it is true that there are a lot of razors out there that are DE89/R89 clones, and that statement would hold true for those.
For the second, you won't know until you've experimented which works better for you. While aggressive certainly means more blade access to the skin, and generally speaking a closer shave, it can also mean more skin being taken off with each shave, leading to razor burn. It can also mean the potential for more nicks, cuts, and weepers. Both of those can be addressed with pressure and angle, but for some people it's easier and more productive for them to use a milder razor instead.

I am in the aggressive camp. I get much smoother, closer, and more comfortable shaves from aggressive razors (as long as my folliculitis isn't acting up).

Top Bottom