What's new

Back to the Mach 3 for good!

Just had a great, totally 100% BBS shave with a Fusion and Foamy in 2 passes. It just took off a 4 day beard with zero effort. No irritation since I followed wetshaving principles and followed the direction of my hair growth for the WTG pass. There was some tugging on my neck but nothing major....I think that's my biggest complaint with carts. The nature of the beast means they "grab" the hair. And I had to consciously remind myself not to press into my skin.

But they work. BBS shaves are faster and easier with them. I don't think anyone can argue that. It's just the other claims that are preposterous. And the price of the refills.

Yeah i remember the old Sensor twin blade and while you can still buy replacement cartridges here in NZ I can't find a handle so not much use eh?
The Mach 3 is ok and i hear the Schick Hydro 3 is better
I still think the Fusion Proglide Power is ok. If stropping the blades on denim works as claimed the Fusion Cartridge might live a long time.

I know this is an old thread, but I recently switched back to the Mach 3 cart myself.

I haven’t given up on DE shaving, but I would say a solid 90% of my shaves are done with cartridges and 10% with DE. I do like to switch it up from time to time. I just don’t always have time to focus and commit to a DE shave without jacking myself up.

So, in my efforts to find the perfect cartridge, I’ve tried Harry’s, Trac II, Dollar shave club (Dorco) and a few others. All had pros and cons, but I came back to the Mach 3 and for me there is no better cartridge out there. YMMV, of course, but I’m back to the Mach 3 as my go to.

I will say though, as I’ve been learning how to shave with a DE razor, I picked up a few things along the way that make using the Mach 3 a lot more enjoyable. Proper prep, a brush, and good shaving cream make all the difference in the world. Oh and a nice heavy handle for the cartridge. Just feels better and looks classier on the bathroom counter in the stand.

So, I still have my DE89 and I may break it out once in a while, but for me, The go to is the Mach 3 and all the other awesome stuff that’s landed in my den along the way.

Well here it is...my official confession. I am going back to my Mach 3 for good! I've gone back to it several times over the years, and was always impressed and dissapointed at the same time. I get a closer, more comfortable, more consistent shave with the Mach 3. I've been using it exclusively now for the past 3 weeks. Not a single razor bump, or ingrown hair on my face! Not the case with DE. I always had minor bumps and at LEAST one nasty ingrown hair on my face when I used the DE. I really wish I could save money and put the Mach 3 down, but I just can't! I love not having to pay attention to angle and pressure. I try to keep a light touch, but if I don't it doesent matter!

I'm NOT bad mouthing DE. Like I said, I really wish I could use one, I just enjoy the simplicity, and end result the Mach 3 gives me. I guess I'm the Lone Cart User of B&B! I'll always keep my brushes, creams, and soaps, but I think my DE days are over. :sad:

The Mach 3 has been the best Cart razor I've found. It seems to be on par with the Gillette Tech, only with less of a chance for a nick. The Tech still seems to shave closer and is significantly cheaper. If I fly, it’ll be in my carry-on, along with my DE set, just in case I have to leave the blades at security.
Life is too short to shave with a bad razor.

I know this is an old thread, but I recently switched back to the Mach 3 cart myself.

I haven’t given up on DE shaving, but I would say a solid 90% of my shaves are done with cartridges and 10% with DE. I do like to switch it up from time to time. I just don’t always have time to focus and commit to a DE shave without jacking myself up.

So, in my efforts to find the perfect cartridge, I’ve tried Harry’s, Trac II, Dollar shave club (Dorco) and a few others. All had pros and cons, but I came back to the Mach 3 and for me there is no better cartridge out there. YMMV, of course, but I’m back to the Mach 3 as my go to.

I will say though, as I’ve been learning how to shave with a DE razor, I picked up a few things along the way that make using the Mach 3 a lot more enjoyable. Proper prep, a brush, and good shaving cream make all the difference in the world. Oh and a nice heavy handle for the cartridge. Just feels better and looks classier on the bathroom counter in the stand.

So, I still have my DE89 and I may break it out once in a while, but for me, The go to is the Mach 3 and all the other awesome stuff that’s landed in my den along the way.

I love DE razors and the things that go with them. The beard & skin I am cursed with however, permit me to get a better and more comfortable shave with a Mach 3. My 4 years of trying to use a DE has taught me much better technique with the Mach 3.
Ron

If your going cartridge, Mach 3 is the best IMO. I can hack through a full beard with minimal clogging, and then continue to use for several weeks. Normally after the glide strip is a distant memory. Have also dry shaved and shaved with Noxzema (not the cream, the cleaner) over the years with minimal discomfort.

DE is like a Zen thing for me now though :)

Hey if it works go with it. The M-3 is the last great cart razor IMO. Gillette hit a home run with the Trac II and the Mach 3 (smooth) is an improvement over that great design. However, I think any cart over three blades is over kill. I think Dorco is up to 6 now.

Hey if it works go with it. The M-3 is the last great cart razor IMO. Gillette hit a home run with the Trac II and the Mach 3 (smooth) is an improvement over that great design. However, I think any cart over three blades is over kill. I think Dorco is up to 6 now.
Dorco is up to Seven.

Dorco is nuts! Are they any good or is it just a marketing thing?

I still use the Mach3 as my main razor and go back to DE sometimes, I have a Fatip and an Old Type that I like but I couldn't use them every day. I did once try a mild razor on a daily basis but it was a bloodbath.

I use Nivea foam with the Mach 3 and sometimes I use my 30mm brush and Cella, either way my face is happy.

I recently retired my mach 3. Still use the Trac II and the Atra. I got into DE because I would often get bumps and rash from the Mach. I guess no two faces are alike. I will admit that the Mach gave a BBS, but the side effects weren't worth it. If they ever bring out a new generation of fusion 5 with sound effects that mimic a formula one racer, my inner 10 year old will jump on it.

I mostly use cartridges myself these days, mostly Mach 3, but I still keep my DEs and other razor types around just to mix things up once in a while.

What ended my Mach III days was the Kroger replacement cartridge. The individual blades had bars welded on the back side. The Gillette OEM blades were two expensive.

MM897

I'm mostly a DE shaver now, but I still have many carts left over, and use a combination sometimes. I can still get better results going ATG on my neck using a Mach3, so I sometimes use that for my finishing touch-ups (until my DE technique gets good enough for ATG on the neck).

I'm curious about these tho... if they are as sharp as their DE blades, it might be interesting to try. :)
https://goo.gl/4JG9D8

I've joined the 2018 Shave Purchase Sabbatical, so I won't be trying this year, but I have enough mach3's to last me for years at the rate that I use them now. Plus a few fusions and even some sensors. I think the carts left in my stock might last me a decade...

yay today shaved from long long time woth Mach3! was very smooth and close shave. Good razor. I made my prep as same as in DE shaving.

Had to say truth, that mach3 gives bether shave than meny DE razors/blade combos....

You may also want to try one of the newer Bic cartridge systems. For me, the Flex 5 Hybrid outperforms the Mach 3 at a significant cost savings and is quite comfortable to shave with.

Top Bottom